How many of you guise have a heart for the Lord?

Loobs

• Members

You just totally missed the point, like I said I can't be bothered.

:confused: explain how I missed the point. I must have gotten confused somewhere.

I don't really understand why one would come into a thread and say

Except there are also New Testament verses that condemn homosexuality too.

but then not be willing to discuss it in any length, because one can't be 'bothered'?

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Y'see you were doing so well with all the equal rights for gays stuff earlier in the thread, i almost thought you were sane and reasonable ... and then this
:facepalm:
... go read a book or two and not one written by a bunch of goat herders. No wonder you don't believe in evolution, you haven't even the faintest idea how it works.

I do hope you were joking and i just fell for it. I'm no expert at all but evolution makes perfect sense to me and most of the thinking population. If you truly do believe what you typed then i pity you and your poor education. Read some books, please.

lol!! ... just tell him to go and read a book on plant evolution, then he will understand how evolution works and understand why not all plants are the same... and unless god has been coming up with new plant ideas and popping then onto the landscape every few million years, you can't really argue with the evidence.

Mutation Vs Evolution is much more interesting debate to me.

• Members
Y'see you were doing so well with all the equal rights for gays stuff earlier in the thread, i almost thought you were sane and reasonable ... and then this
:facepalm:
... go read a book or two and not one written by a bunch of goat herders. No wonder you don't believe in evolution, you haven't even the faintest idea how it works.

Humans were not once monkeys. Monkeys and ourselves evolved from a common ancestor.

As for why we can't breed with insects. I'm not even going to humour you with an answer it's such an ridiculous question.

You can witness speices changing over just a few generations. Darwin observed this artificially with pigeon breeders.

A monkey (singular) did not jump down from a tree and start walking. Just as a fish did not hop out of the sea and do the same. A giraffe did not suddenly appear one day with a long neck to reach the highest branches. The process is slow, very slow, gradual changes over a vast period of time.

'
how come there are still animals today? Why haven't they evolved into humans?
' ... This statement shows you really don't have a clue. Imagine evolution as a tree, starting at the trunk and spreading outwards with many many different branches. We are related to the great apes but they are a different branch. We did not come from them, we both came from a common ancestor, 2 smaller branches stemming from a larger one, that one stemming from another, and so on.

The human race was not made. It evolved. There are many previous versions of hominids (look it up), different branches of the evolutionary tree that didn't survive. We didn't just pop up one day out of nowhere.

I do hope you were joking and i just fell for it. I'm no expert at all but evolution makes perfect sense to me and most of the thinking population. If you truly do believe what you typed then i pity you and your poor education. Read some books, please.

It is also worth noting with reference to the, "how come there are still animals today? Why haven't they evolved into humans?" comment, that it is arrogant to think of humans as superior. The ultimate goal of evolution seems to be to keep life going, not for life necessarily to advance. Having a larger and more functioning 'intelligent' brain could well be our downfall, yet relatively simple creatures or plants will survive. Evolution is a way of spreading life's bets. Rather than throw all the eggs in one basket it seems life is constantly changing forms and creating new forms giving it a greater chance of survival. WHY this is occurring is a totally different question and i can see why there'd be room for spiritual discussion here, but i think its fairly clear this is what is going on.

• Members

The universe is
too
perfect. Cause God made it, only someone perfect could make something so perfect.

"Hai, Humanz! I made this Universe for you! Isn't it great? By the way, you can only live on Earth for the next few years, because I haven't created the scientists who'll make rockets and spacesuits and {censored} yet."

• Members

LPjunior, tell me about the perfect universe, not our planet, not our solar system, not even the milky way, the rest of it... how is it perfect and who or what is it perfect for?

I'm interested.

• Members

well there's plus's and minus's to both I guess.... I know someone who moved from here to New York and he won't move back. He thinks it's brilliant over there. He also thinks he kids will have a better life there than here (he married to an American) ... I'm not convinced that's true but it's a different life for sure... 'better' is kind of subjective, it depends what you want and how you want to live I guess.

..and as they say, the grass is always greener on the other side.

I've lived in 4 countries now and everyone of them has had some thing that made it far superior than the others. They've also all have had some serious flaws. You just got to find the right fit for you. That said, America is perfect except for the super-religious idiots.

• Members
I've lived in 4 countries now and everyone of them has had some thing that made it far superior than the others. They've also all have had some serious flaws. You just got to find the right fit for you. That said, America is perfect except for the super-religious idiots.

:lol: ... I guess that's a pretty big downside for a self proclaimed 'Resident Atheist' :)

There's isn't much I don't like about the UK, just some of the people in it.. but I guess that's applicable anywhere. As long as I have my friends and family around and a decent cup of tea I think I'd be pretty happy anywhere to be honest.

• Members

LPjunior, tell me about the perfect universe, not our planet, not our solar system, not even the milky way, the rest of it... how is it perfect and who or what is it perfect for?

I'm interested.

I'd like to know this too.

And back to our locality... Earth... if it's so awesome and perfectly created and designed by a master builder who loves us so much and cares for our wellbeing, why do tsunamis, earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes, tornadoes etc etc etc happen every now and again and kill thousands upon thousands of innocent people?

What part of that fits your theory of perfect design by a loving father?

• Members
:lol:
... I guess that's a pretty big downside for a self proclaimed 'Resident Atheist'
:)

There's isn't much I don't like about the UK, just some of the people in it.. but I guess that's applicable anywhere. As long as I have my friends and family around and a decent cup of tea I think I'd be pretty happy anywhere to be honest.

A giant downside.

• Members

I'd like to know this too.

And back to our locality... Earth... if it's so awesome and perfectly created and designed by a master builder who loves us so much and cares for our wellbeing, why do tsunamis, earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes, tornadoes etc etc etc happen every now and again and kill thousands upon thousands of innocent people?

What part of that fits your theory of perfect design by a loving father?

lets face it if god did create the universe for us he probably wasn't that good at it, he created billions of stars and planets that ended up (lets be honest here) pretty crappy. I don't think jupiter with it's raging electrical storms was very useful long term and it clearly took him a very long time to perfect atmospheres and gravity, because most planets are pretty useless in this respect. .. and the whole thing, well it's a little on the large size I think. Maybe he didn't know the 'quality over quantity' approach, it seems to me that he just went a bit mad and started chaotically chucking {censored} all over the place without really thinking about it. I'll give him a 5/10 for effort, but it's hardly perfection.

• Members

I'm interested.

Indeed. If a god created the entire universe and we are his favourite pets what is the rest of the universe for? window dressing?

The billions of stars, planets, moons etc all contained within our galaxy. The billions of galaxies within the known universe. If god created them then what are they for? just something nice for us to look at?

Neptune, what is it for? we can't live there, far too cold. Jupiter, a gas giant, what's the point? we would be crushed by the gravity, we can't go there. Titan, perhaps the most Earth-like sphere in our solar system, so cold that ice is as hard as steel, with methane rain to top things off. We couldn't survive there so why did a god make it? Are they gods way of giving astronomers something to do?

When you venture outside of our Earthly confines, you start to realise that we are just one tiny spec in the universe, not the chosen speices of a giant invisible beardy guy that decided one day out of boredom to make some stuff for something to do.

(EDIT: didn't see your post above saying much the same thing)

• Members

lets face it if god did create the universe for us he probably wasn't that good at it, he created billions of stars and planets that ended up (lets be honest here) pretty crappy. I don't think jupiter with it's raging electrical storms was very useful long term and it clearly took him a very long time to perfect atmospheres and gravity, because most planets are pretty useless in this respect. .. and the whole thing, well it's a little on the large size I think. Maybe he didn't know the 'quality over quantity' approach, it seems to me that he just went a bit mad and started chaotically chucking {censored} all over the place without really thinking about it. I'll give him a 5/10 for effort, but it's hardly perfection.

I lul'd {censored}ing hard. Well said sir. That one is getting saved.

• Members

... if god did make the universe he sure as hell didn't make it for us did he? It's like me building a whole city for half a dozen slugs to live in, when they are going to spend their whole life chewing on cabbage in a small allotment.

• Members

Indeed. If a god created the entire universe and we are his favourite pets what is the rest of the universe for? window dressing?

(EDIT: didn't see your post above saying much the same thing)

ha, we are on the same page mate. :)

... if we could ask him why I think the likely answer would be

'Because I was bored and had nothing better to do on a wednesday afternoon, there's no need to make a big deal out of it, it was just a fun project I was working on at the time and to be honest I'd totally forgotten about it until you mentioned it just then... it was a very long time ago'

...although I can't presume he would even speak English.

• Members

... if god did make the universe he sure as hell didn't make it for us did he? It's like me building a whole city for half a dozen slugs to live in, when they are going to spend their whole life chewing on cabbage in a small allotment.

I like this.

• Members
ha, we are on the same page mate.
:)

... if we could ask him why I think the likely answer would be

'Because I was bored and had nothing better to do on a wednesday afternoon, there's no need to make a big deal out of it, it was just a fun project I was working on at the time and to be honest I'd totally forgotten about it until you mentioned it just then... it was a very long time ago'

...although I can't presume he would even speak English.

Maybe it's like playing with plasticine. God made the Earth but then had loads left over, so he just rolled it all up into balls and put them to one side.

• Members

... then you'd tell him about Earth and he'd say...

"Wow really, those cool big Lizard things didn't survive but those strange mutant monkeys without much hair did? ... amazing, I'm still learning stuff about creation everyday, even at my age.. there's always a suprise or two when you stick random {censored} together for a laugh... sometimes it works, but as you can see by all the billions of crappy planets floating around, a lot of the time it doesn't"

• Members
careful, last time that was said a yankee style ass whooping was handed out.
:cop:

That's ok. It's like being the little specky nerd at school and having the school bully give you a good kicking. It hurts at the time but later on you just think: 'well you may be bigger than me but at least i know how to read a book and tie my own shoe laces'. ;)

• Members
That's ok. It's like being the little specky nerd at school and having the school bully give you a good kicking. It hurts at the time but later on you just think: 'well you may be bigger than me but at least i know how to read a book and tie my own shoe laces'.
;)

hahahaha.

funny. :thu:

• Members
That's ok. It's like being the little specky nerd at school and having the school bully give you a good kicking. It hurts at the time but later on you just think: 'well you may be bigger than me but I know you go home and Mummy reads you comforting fairy tales about how perfect our universe and everything in it is '.
;)

Or, in the context of this thread.

Archived