How many of you guise have a heart for the Lord?

Loobs

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Oh it's definitely
not
that. The UK is just as grim as many other places. But yeah, we for the most part think religion is a personal matter and not something to go on about.

I think this is why often we find 'praise and worship' threads either embarrassing/hilarious or disturbing/worrying.

Sometimes the overly vocal approach to religion that we see from certain corners of America makes us squirm a bit, in the same way that we find it uncomfortable seeing shouty street preachers yelling at passers by or happy clappy vicars with acoustic guitars trying to get everyone to have a sing-a-long. It's embarrassing.

There's a reason we have a picture of Darwin on our ten pound notes. We speak the same language as you (mostly
:lol:
) but there are some very big differences too.

Indeed.

This is one of the biggest differences between the UK and the USA is how people label themselves.

In the UK, you are not a Conservative or a Labour, unless you are actually a counsellor or an MP. You just voted for whatever party in the last election. I've never heard anyone debate these choices at any other times than at dinner parties, where it's friendly banter over a meal and glass of wine.

Likewise, we understand that some people go to church on Sundays. But most of those people would not care that some of their friends are atheist. They just are who they are. And all the members of the clergy I've met have just been nice old guys who take a congregation of equally nice old ladies in a sing song every Sunday. They've all been pretty open minded and liberal, actually.

• Members
Oh it's definitely
not
that. The UK is just as grim as many other places. But yeah, we for the most part think religion is a personal matter and not something to go on about.

I think this is why often we find 'praise and worship' threads either embarrassing/hilarious or disturbing/worrying.

I met a mate through work years ago and he was a pretty good friend of mine for about 6 years (lost touch when I left the island for while) but anyway.... I didn't realise he considered himself a christian or went to church every sunday for about 4 years!! It was only when we were going to do some pitch and putt golf one sunday and he said "can we make it in the afternoon because I'll be at church in the morning" ..... I nearly fell off my chair! :lol:

Archived