How many of you guise have a heart for the Lord?

Loobs

• Members

This guy has some goofy mannerisms, but the stuff he is saying is all pretty sound musically speaking.

Unless you want to make music that people won't enjoy listening to. Then you (and everyone else in your band) can just do whatever you want.

Poor attempt on the part of the OP to spark controversy.

yes, this style applies to all music. what would i do without those keys in the higher registries.

if thats good music i {censored}ing quit.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know and understand that worship music isn't that great. I played in a church band for 2 years got so bored I stopped. Every single song, after another has the same chord change, E B C# A (or some variation of that) It wasn't fun to play.

But, the only thing is church congregations don't care if the music sucks, (well the teens do, but they're listening to fallout boy and other crap :facepalm:) they just want something thats easy to sing.

But it still is not good music.

• Members

yes, this style applies to all music. what would i do without those keys in the higher registries.

if thats good music i {censored}ing quit.

If you want to put out recordings where everything is in the same register, please do quit. My comments had nothing to do with the style, I was talking about the methodology. Go listen to some really well mixed CD's and you will hear lots of tonal separation.

Plus, it's just plain good advice to say "listen to what the other people in your band are playing." Unless 1 person is writing all the parts for everyone else, (in which case they will probably not say 'everyone play the same thing in the same register') things work better when musicians are sensitive to what other people are doing. When really great musicians improvise, you see them taking turns with solos or new motifs, and the other players will either back off and support the rhythm and chord structure of the song, or play something complimentary - maybe a harmony or a counter melody. Everybody doing what they want all the time sucks. Or, one person who doesn't want to listen and work together can ruin the fun for everyone else, like when the sucky guitarist starts wanking and everyone else has to stick to the rhythm to keep the song from falling apart.

Since you obviously have an opinion of what "good music" is, you should figure out how to describe it to other people and thereby enrich our lives instead of just bashing whatever is popular to bash.

• Members

I play in worship bands, among other things, and I do find lots of things about worship music frustrating and cringeworthy. This video, actually, not so much.

Reasons:

1. He's doing a workshop. Teaching a workshop about anything as esoteric as music can start looking and sounding goofy very quickly.

2. He's talking to a room of worship pastors. It doesn't really come across when you watch it here, but the blithe, simplistic way he's presenting things is just slightly tongue in cheek. Having known a lot of these people, believe me there's at least a touch of sarcasm in that room, although like I said, it doesn't really come across on first viewing.

3. I also give this guy, Paul Baloche, a free pass because he's not really a bad musician. Here's what the kind of thing he's talking about sounds like in practice:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

It's a pretty well written and arranged pop/rock song. You could certainly claim it's boring, but it's a pretty well executed exercise in simplicity. If you don't like straight ahead pop/rock you have good reason to hate it (not my favorite genre either), but as such it seems decent.

4. On a broader note, I understand how both of these videos seem completely ridiculous if you don't believe in Christianity, especially the second one, which is an actual worship song. Watching people talk or sing passionately about something that you think is horsesh*t is always laughable and cringeworthy. A lot of these threads get ridiculously out of control because somebody says something provocative about Jesus or the Bible and then a Christian gets offended because they can't wrap their brain around how their faith looks from the outside. I get it. Christianity looks completely stupid. The Bible even says it (1 Corinthians 1:18, and don't get pissed off just because I referenced a bible verse).

While for me, Christianity certainly passes enough rational and historical tests to be legitimate (if you don't agree please don't bog down this thread, just start a different one), the core of my belief is definitely only faith.

In the end I think faith could simply be defined as perspective. In fact, I think that's one of the strongest arguments I could make for Christianity. I don't ever expect you to care about something that only matters to me because of my perspective. On the other hand, like I said, the core of my belief is faith/perspective. Until you have really, truly had that personal perspective, it's very, very hard to understand the actual depth and meaning of Christianity. It goes both ways.

Anyway, like I said, it doesn't surprise or offend me if somebody thinks Christianity is stupid. It would be dumb of me to try to impart (what I think is) eternal perspective to anybody via an internet forum.

It might be nice to remember, though, that belief itself is worth quite a bit as a human attribute, even if you don't agree with the object of somebody's belief.

By the way, getting back to the musical side of the discussion -- yes, the vast majority of worship music is worthless {censored}e. Most Christians who are musically/culturally aware will readily admit this. Believe me, I don't play in worship services for a creative outlet.

carry on.

• Members

While for me, Christianity certainly passes enough rational and historical tests to be legitimate (if you don't agree please don't bog down this thread, just start a different one), the core of my belief is definitely only faith.

Really. The amount of contradiction within the bible itself about HISTORICAL events is enough to sway you to belief. To get the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem you have to move Mary and Joseph from Nazareth (which the bible acknowledges as where they lived). The bible says that a census forced Joseph to go from Nazareth to "the city of David (Bethlehem). Which is historically non-sense. David lived 1,000 years before Joseph, so the odds of him being moved to a city which he shared an extremely distant relative with is nil.

and the kicker, the census is historically accurate. But it was a local census called for by Governor Quirinius, not one called by Caesar Augustus for the whole empire. oh yea, it took place in 6AD. Too late for the birth of Christ.

By the way, how old is the earth?

• Members

Really. The amount of contradiction within the bible itself about HISTORICAL events is enough to sway you to belief. To get the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem you have to move Mary and Joseph from Nazareth (which the bible acknowledges as where they lived). The bible says that a census forced Joseph to go from Nazareth to "the city of David (Bethlehem). Which is historically non-sense. David lived 1,000 years before Joseph, so the odds of him being moved to a city which he shared an extremely distant relative with is nil.

and the kicker, the census is historically accurate. But it was a local census called for by Governor Quirinius, not one called by Caesar Augustus for the whole empire. oh yea, it took place in 6AD. Too late for the birth of Christ.

By the way, how old is the earth?

Sources?

• Members

It's a pretty well written and arranged pop/rock song. You could certainly claim it's boring, but it's a pretty well executed exercise in simplicity. If you don't like straight ahead pop/rock you have good reason to hate it (not my favorite genre either), but as such it seems decent.

4. On a broader note, I understand how both of these videos seem completely ridiculous if you don't believe in Christianity, especially the second one, which is an actual worship song. Watching people talk or sing passionately about something that you think is horsesh*t is always laughable and cringeworthy. A lot of these threads get ridiculously out of control because somebody says something provocative about Jesus or the Bible and then a Christian gets offended because they can't wrap their brain around how their faith looks from the outside. I get it. Christianity looks completely stupid. The Bible even says it (1 Corinthians 1:18, and don't get pissed off just because I referenced a bible verse).

In the end I think faith could simply be defined as perspective. In fact, I think that's one of the strongest arguments I could make for Christianity. I don't ever expect you to care about something that only matters to me because of my perspective. On the other hand, like I said, the core of my belief is faith/perspective. Until you have really, truly had that personal perspective, it's very, very hard to understand the actual depth and meaning of Christianity. It goes both ways.

Anyway, like I said, it doesn't surprise or offend me if somebody thinks Christianity is stupid. It would be dumb of me to try to impart (what I think is) eternal perspective to anybody via an internet forum.

It might be nice to remember, though, that belief itself is worth quite a bit as a human attribute, even if you don't agree with the object of somebody's belief.

By the way, getting back to the musical side of the discussion -- yes, the vast majority of worship music is worthless {censored}e. Most Christians who are musically/culturally aware will readily admit this. Believe me, I don't play in worship services for a creative outlet.

carry on.

Totally right bro, but as I stated before, it's really just a lame attempt by the OP to spark controversy. Christianity is open to skepticism, but unfortunately it gets more mockery than anything else. I don't think this is the crowd for a healthy debate.

• Members

The very first sentence in the bible is a lie. "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

Talk about starting as you mean to go on.

{censored} science, and all that fancy stuff that has actual proof. Creation's where it's at. WHilst we're at it, {censored} evolution. it didn't happen because the bible says so. And dinosaurs probably weren't real, unless God just forgot to include them in his fairy tale.

• Members

The very first sentence in the bible is a lie. "In the beginning God
created
the heavens and the earth."

Talk about starting as you mean to go on.

{censored} science, and all that fancy stuff that has actual proof. Creation's where it's at. WHilst we're at it, {censored} evolution. it didn't happen because the bible says so. And dinosaurs probably weren't real, unless God just forgot to include them in his fairy tale.

{censored} I love the brits.

• Members
But what of the census that Luke 2:1 speaks of? Is there any record outside of the Bible that Augustus ever issued such a decree? Yes. As a matter of fact he authorized three censuses during this reign. How do we know this? The three censuses are listed in the Acts of Augustus, a list of what Augustus thought were the 35 greatest achievements of his reign. He was so proud of the censuses that he ranked them eighth on the list. The Acts of Augustus were placed on two bronze plaques outside of Augustus's mausoleum after he died.

The three empire-wide censuses were in 28 B.C., 8 B.C., and 14 A.D. In all probability the one in 8 B.C. is the one the Luke mentions in the Christmas story. Even though scholarship normally dates Christ's birth between 4 and 7 B.C., the 8 B.C. census fits because in all likelihood it would have taken several years for the bureaucracy of the census to reach Palestine.

:badump:

• Members

and

The key to solving this alleged puzzle, is in the phrase "first census" in the sentence, "This was the first census taken while Quirinius was governing Syria." What does Luke mean by a first census? One theory offered is that the Greek word for "first" (prote) is sometimes translated "prior to" or "before." This is a viable solution because the Greek text of Luke 2:2 can indeed be translated, "This census was before Quirinius was governing Syria."

Archived