How many of you guise have a heart for the Lord?

Loobs

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is god a scientist then?

... where is god?

Tell me about god and why he has created the universe.

Is He a scientist? That's tricky. I'm not sure the concept translates. Is God a mathematician, philosopher, or artist? I guess so, maybe... but I think that ascribing those sorts of "labels" to God may be inappropriate. We overlay ourselves onto our idea of God, and doing so makes Him look more like us that He actually does. What we see as scientific data He sees as pure truth; pure "is-ness" if you will.

Further, science is a discipline of fact finding. Science exists because we don't know very much, and need a system to help keep us on the rails. Our senses and memories are frail, and the scientific method helps to counterbalance our weaknesses. So God, being omniscient, has no need of any such system. So in that respect, no He isn't a scientist.

God is everywhere.

He Created the universe for His own good pleasure.

• Members
Had to make a comment on this statement. You
do
realize that this country was
founded
by "super-religious idiots", right? Our Constitution, our laws, our
entire society
was built by these people. Even our
money
says "In God We Trust". Our Pledge of Allegiance says "One nation, under God". This nation was
built
on religious beliefs. Hell, the people that came here did so in order to be able to practice the religion they chose.

So, in your opinion, is it OK to enjoy the fruits of the labors of millions of "super-religious idiots" that came before you and created this Country while denigrating and insulting them at the same time? Cus that's exactly what you're doing.

I'm not saying anything at all about the validity of religion, just commenting on an ignorant statement. And ignorant isn't an insult, it's simply stating that you're either ignoring the foundation that our society is based on (the right to practice whatever religion you choose without persecution (you are persecuting them right now)). Like it or not, America was founded by, is run by, and the population
is
, primarily religious people. Atheists (you) are a minority in this country and in the world today. It's just on this board that it seems to be majority.

And BTW, America isn't perfect except for the religious. America is {censored}ed up beyond recognition because of lawyers and politicians. Nowhere in America's history has religion had a negative impact on our society as a whole. There is NO harm in saying "One nation under God", even for an atheist. But the typical liberal atheist has got to be a {censored}ing prick and make an international issue out of it. You don't want to say it? Don't {censored}ing say it. But nooooooo, they have to make a federal case out of it because it "violates their rights".
The same rights given to them by "super-religious idiots".
:facepalm:

Some will come in and say I'm trolling. Negative. I see statements like the one boy made on this board all the time. They are self-centered, mean-spirited and quite simply arrogant. So I'm standing up for the "super-religious idiots" that aren't here to stand up for themselves, regardless of my own personal opinions.

This is America, they are entitled to their opinions and religions just as you are entitled to not have one. Just remember that you're the one who is the minority here, not the "super-religious idiots". And everything that you have in this country is due to the blood, sweat and tears of those "super-religious idiots" who have
died
for
your
safety, well being and freedom. Maybe show them a little respect from time to time, hmm?

Oh, can't forget this:

Gotta love good sig material.
:thu:

I'm going fishing with my dad. Keep this {censored} civil so it stays open and I'll refute you in a few hours.

One nation, under god was not added till the 1940s, so just drop that.

Ben Franklin was an atheist.

Don't get this locked dude, I'll be back.

• Members
There was nothing on Telly one day and he wanted to get in on this DIY Universe Building thing that he kept reading about on forums.

I wonder who created god.

I hear a lot of people saying that the planet and living beings are so amazing they must have been created by god, if that's true then god is even more amazing than that so he must have been created by something else even more amazing than him. I can't see the logic there at all.

• Members
I'm going fishing with my dad. Keep this {censored} civil so it stays open and I'll refute you in a few hours.

One nation, under god was not added till the 1940s, so just drop that.

Ben Franklin was an atheist.

Don't get this locked dude, I'll be back.

LOL Typical Anderer.

Noone cares if it wasn't added until the 1940s. That's not a point I made or disputed at all. You simply don't get it. :facepalm:

Noone cares if BF was an atheist either. He was also an underage sexual offender.

:wave:

• Members

So who created God?

If we feel the need to fill "holes" in scietific theory with God, then what about God's origins?

What about the "holes" in the God Theory? Far greater holes to be found there than in Evolutionary Theory.

• Members

And BTW, America isn't perfect except for the religious. America is {censored}ed up beyond recognition because of lawyers and politicians. Nowhere in America's history has religion had a negative impact on our society as a whole. There is NO harm in saying "One nation under God", even for an atheist. But the typical liberal atheist has got to be a {censored}ing prick and make an international issue out of it. You don't want to say it? Don't {censored}ing say it. But nooooooo, they have to make a federal case out of it because it "violates their rights".
The same rights given to them by "super-religious idiots".

I can agree that America is {censored}ed up because of lawyers in politicians. However, religion has had a negative impact: Christianity was used to validate slavery and has been the basis behind anti-Communist sentiments, particularly in the age of McCarthyism, and members of the Religious Right has bombed multiple abortion clinics. BTW, there are such a thing as conservative atheists: they're called libertarians :facepalm:

• Members

So you are saying the whole world was populated by two people?

We would be so malformed its not even funny. There is a reason there are laws that say you can't marry your sister. When you mix the DNA of two children from the same parents, you end up with huge birth defects.

I'm a christian and i do not believe that adam and eve were literally the first two people on earth. if you analyze the first few chapters (definitely the first chapter) of genesis, it is a work of hebrew poetry praising God. IMO, that section was meant to be more of a work of art rather than a historical text. Im not saying that the book is wrong, but the first section where God created the heavens and the earth.....it could still be debatable. i feel like its more likely that God put the actions into motion for the universe to be created....but i could be wrong

• Members
LOL Typical Anderer.

Noone cares if it wasn't added until the 1940s. That's not a point I made or disputed at all. You simply don't get it.

Noone cares if BF was an atheist either. He was also an underage sexual offender.

I actually agree with rushfan here, it's always struck me that is why the US is more religious than us over here, also I think it might have something to do with slavery too.

• Members

it's a bit of a cop-out really though isn't it?...

Apologetics isn't exactly my strong suit... but at this point, it's no more far-fetched than an evolutionary theory w/out a trigger, right?

• Members
it's a bit of a cop-out really though isn't it?... Kinda like the way the island still goes unexplained but they are all happy when they've found out they're dead
:lol:

So basically 'god' is totally unexplainable, it just 'is' something that's everywhere....like an energy that creates our reality.

I can kinda dig that, I don't even find that hard to believe.... It's all the judgement and rules stuff I'm not so good with. :)

• Members

J
efferson
Washington
, Franklin and
James Madison
were all atheists or deists. There are multiple quotes from each dealing with the fallibility of religion and the stagnation of thought within the church. The phrase "under God" was not added to our currency and the phrase "one nation under God" was not added to our pledge until the 40's and 50's, as to make the United States seem more "godly" than the godless pinko commie bastards running the USSR. The addition of any mention of God to our currency and pledge was purely political.

Let's turn the tables for a second: have you considered how many non-religious individuals that have bettered this country for you? Better yet, have you considered that
the Declaration of Independence was conceived by an atheist
? Our Bill of Rights largely devised by a group of men, some religious, others not, who were brilliant enough to prevent the church from meddling in the affairs of the public?

Jefferson was not an atheist, he was a deist. Just because he believed in the separation of church and state does not make him an atheist, many Christians believe in separation of church and state. Also, he wrote the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom, protecting religion. Jefferson was a strong believer in freedom, from every possible scenario. His views did not align with those of Christians at the time, or even now, but he did follow a religion, one mostly contrived by himself.

Washington was also religious, and was even baptized in the church of England. Like Jefferson, he was not so much a Christian figure as he was a deist. They both had issues with certain things in Christianity, but they were not atheists. I'm not sure where you got the idea that they were atheist, you cannot assume someone is an atheist just for disagreeing with Christianity.

Also, I am pretty sure Madison was not an atheist either. Especially with his infamous protection of preachers as a lawyer. Not to mention his family had some reverends. I do not know as much about him, but I see nothing that points to him being an atheist either. :idk:

• Members

it's a bit of a cop-out really though isn't it?... Kinda like the way the island still goes unexplained but they are all happy when they've found out they're dead
:lol:

lol

I'm not sure it's a cop out. Even science goes, "Before the Big Bang? Heh, you're on your own with that one!"

Science deals with what exists within this Universe. First causes are outside our ability to explore. So, no matter what world view you espouse, you run into the same epistemic brick wall.

• Members
So basically 'god' is totally unexplainable, it just 'is' something that's everywhere....like an energy that creates our reality.

I can kinda dig that, I don't even find that hard to believe.... It's all the judgement and rules stuff I'm not so good with.
:)

i know this has been said a million times, but the people jesus had the biggest problem with were the religious leaders. the over-pious, judgmental, legalists are doing it wrong.

• Members

i know this has been said a million times, but the people jesus had the biggest problem with were the religious leaders. the over-pious, judgmental, legalists are doing it wrong.

Yeah. This. Jesus loved the outcasts

Archived