so, apparently people from oregon hate californians?

echodeluxe

• Members

hmmm. good.

my dad is usually full of {censored}.

There actually is some history to it, and perhaps for older generations california hate was a bit more real.

Back in the 1800's a number of california banks supposedly moved up here. took everyone's deposits... then closed up shop and took the money back to california.

For a long ass time all the bank of america's in oregon and washington were called seafirst bank. I think the history is mostly forgotten by most people who are alive today.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That was the impression I got from your first post.

oh hey im not on ignore anymore! yay! :love:

yeah, im not a fan of my father. ive been more or less supporting him since he lost his job and hes a jerk about everything. i even moved back in with him to help. now that hes got work, i cant get out of here fast enough.

I generally like Oregon, based on the few times I've visited. I'm a mountain and forest lover (with lots of experience driving in both the rain AND snow... :cop: ) so I dig a lot of the environment. I never experienced any hostility or hate based on being from California, but then again, I wasn't moving in either. :idk:

Jobs are hard to find everywhere right now, and I imagine Oregon is not much of an exception to that, so I'd take Brian's advice seriously and make sure you had a nice nest egg and / or something solid lined up BEFORE making that big move...

• Members

I generally like Oregon, based on the few times I've visited. I'm a mountain and forest lover (with lots of experience driving in both the rain AND snow...
:cop:
) so I dig a lot of the environment. I never experienced any hostility or hate based on being from California, but then again, I wasn't moving in either.
:idk:

Jobs are hard to find everywhere right now, and I imagine Oregon is not much of an exception to that, so I'd take Brian's advice seriously and make sure you had a nice nest egg and / or something solid lined up BEFORE making that big move...

I've lived there and elsewhere, and trust me when I say that it may be tough to find a job most places these days, but it's still not Oregon-tough.

• Members

{censored}, i need a rich girlfriend.

Then move to NYC dude. Girls out number us by at least three to one and that one is split up into a huge gay community so its more like 6 to 1. They are so {censored}ing easy to talk to here and since you are not a *new yorker* they will look at you as some sort of imported prize... trust me on this. If you like shooting fish in a barrel NYC is the biggest barrel of them all. Plenty of work here. Plenty of things to do and it cant be any more expensive then the Bay Area.

• Members

Then move to NYC dude. Girls out number us by at least three to one and that one is split up into a huge gay community so its more like 6 to 1. They are so {censored}ing easy to talk to here and since you are not a *new yorker* they will look at you as some sort of imported prize... trust me on this. If you like shooting fish in a barrel NYC is the biggest barrel of them all. Plenty of work here. Plenty of things to do and it cant be any more expensive then the Bay Area.

I would say there's some definite truth to this. I go to NYC a lot for work. I'm not looking mind you (glancing perhaps) but there are a lot of really beautiful women in NYC, many imports themselves. NYC's biggest expense is housing, but not that much worse than the Bay area.

I'm not sure I see you in NYC though, I think Portland could a better fit. Why not give it a shot and see what happens. Move in with the Catalinbread crew!

• Members

what kind of work do you do ehco?

if you like heat, mexicans, and dust, i invite you to check out phx. the house prices have completely bottomed out and plenty of starting wage jobs here, especially since the crackdown on illegals.

• Members

what kind of work do you do ehco?

if you like heat, mexicans, and dust, i invite you to check out phx. the house prices have completely bottomed out and plenty of starting wage jobs here, especially since the crackdown on illegals.

Are you seeing any improvement in the overall job market in Phoenix? My wife grew up there, has tons of close family members there and would love to move back.

• Members

Are you seeing any improvement in the overall job market in Phoenix? My wife grew up there, has tons of close family members there and would love to move back.

construction and homes sales are still very slow, and that makes up probably 80% of the work force. i imagine it will pick up here before other places; the thing that drew people to AZ was affordable housing, the homes are very affordable again.

• Members

apparently, if i move to oregon, i wont be able to get a job because people from oregon hate people from california and will treat me like {censored} and deny me jobs because im from california.

They used to say the same thing about Seattle in regards to Californians moving up here. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• Members

apparently, if i move to oregon, i wont be able to get a job because people from oregon hate people from california and will treat me like {censored} and deny me jobs because im from california.

this is from my dad, btw. i was telling him about how i was thinking about moving to oregon, and thats his response.

anyone from oregon wanna chime in?

I'm a transplant from CA and had no problems finding a job.

You won't have a problem finding a job because you're from CA - you'll have a problem because there are no jobs here right now.

:cry:

• Members

i don't know about oregonians, but floridians definitely hate californians.

mostly beacause of the hippes on venice beach and your completely {censored}ed up legal system.

I'll take hippies over retired easterners and toothless yokels anyday. :lol:

• Members

Me and my ol lady moved from Oakland, CA to Portland, OR at the end of 2007.

I've heard from numerous people the job market is really tight.

I had no trouble lining up an auto tech gig. There were a number of offers, it was more about selecting the pay and line than fighting for work. If you have applicable skills, there are plenty of decent gigs. If you have a BA in English, the barista scene is packed and you will be broke as hell.

YMMV.

Archived