am I ignorant on the fuzz face?

hangwire

• Members

ok, lots of fuzz face talk lately...

i don't care for fuzz faces... just like I don't care for TS-9s...

both seem to do their thing [fuzz and OD respectively], but with a very muddy and constricted tone... like buying a pedal that came with a bedsheet to place over the amp...it works but then there is the "uh, fuzz face/ts-9" thing too...

are my old old ears wrong? could I have been mistaken all these years?

• Members

"Muddy and constricted" is about the opposite of what I think of when describing my fuzz face pedal(s). Big meaty bottom end, nice searing upper end, decent with chords, but really shines on individual notes, cleans up very easily. What's not to like?

I think they work best with a cleaner amp, sort of close to breaking up, but not too overdriven. Least that's how I like mine. Probably my favorite fuzz. I've only had the Skreddy LM, MXR Classic 108, Keeler Fuzz face, and a Mojo Hand Huckelberry which is a hybrid. I would check out the Basic Audio Solar Myth - love the clips on his site: http://www.mrdwab.com/john/pedalpage.html

• Members

"
Muddy and constricted" is about the opposite of what I think of when describing my fuzz face pedal(s). Big meaty bottom end, nice searing upper end, decent with chords, but really shines on individual notes, cleans up very easily. What's not to like?

I think they work best with a cleaner amp, sort of close to breaking up, but not too overdriven. Least that's how I like mine. Probably my favorite fuzz.
I've only had the Skreddy LM, MXR Classic 108, Keeler Fuzz face, and a Mojo Hand Huckelberry which is a hybrid. I would check out the Basic Audio Solar Myth - love the clips on his site:

this.

• Members
, but with a very muddy and constricted tone... like buying a pedal that came with a bedsheet to place over the amp...it works but then there is the "uh, fuzz face/ts-9" thing too...

are my old old ears wrong? could I have been mistaken all these years?

yes you've been wrong, you haven't tried the right ones. ;)

• Members

A good way to get great tones from a fuzz face in a clean amp and to stack it with a Catalibread Dirty Little Secret, it sounds just great if you don't have the chance to crank your amp. That's what I do at home most of the time. At band practices, my Maz 18 is set on the edge of breakup and it sounds awesome with my Fulltone '69. I want a house now...living in an appartment sucks! :(

• Members

It needs to be hitting something with good midrange content to fill it out - like a cranked tube amp or OD with mids - otherwise you get that flubby bass and fizzy highs.

Some of the best sounds you get out of a FF are the 'clean' ones when you roll your guitar volume back.

When you hear it, you will {censored} bricks.

Archived