Coily Cables ----and why

-MBro-

• Members

I LOVE the fact that I never trip over it. Mine is HEAVY. Doesnt flop around like a straight cable. I tend to step on my cables and pull them out of guitars or FX. I have never done so with my coily. I dont give a {censored} about guitar fashion, as Im 1 of about 5 people that sees my guitar on a regular basis.

Sellouts.

:)

• Members

I use them because I play seated and find they keep out of the way better. I always found normal cables a lot messier and annoying when playing seated.

I have not tried any of the new ones, but the old school coily cables were generally a joke. They cut out more frequently than straight cables, they weighed more (and pulled on your guitar, and / or out of the jack), they tend to tangle and stretch out of shape over time.

The new ones work/sound great and keep shape very well unlike the old-school stuff. :thu:

Plus the LAVA and VOX ones are wound nice and tight so tangling isn't an issue.

The Bullet ones aren't wound as tight and I haven't had an issue with them either though they are weighty.

• Members

Capacitance is measured in units of farads, after Michael Faraday, a physicist from England who lived in the 1800's. The farad is a huge unit, so we typically find capacitances only a fraction that large. We'll use the unit picofarad, which is a million-millionth of a farad.

A 10 foot cable will have half the capacitance of a 20 foot cable of equal material and dimensions, and will have less high frequency loss -- Hank Wallace

• Members

I like my bullet cable. At Gig Volumes it really takes the brain punching high end away slightly, at low volumes (at home) I don't like it, plus its a bit of a pain. I'm also the clumsiest dude I know, and when I step on this it just stretches a bit rather than tripping me.

The new ones work/sound great and keep shape very well unlike the old-school stuff.
:thu:
Plus the LAVA and VOX ones are wound nice and tight so tangling isn't an issue.

The Bullet ones aren't wound as tight and I haven't had an issue with them either though they are weighty.

Cheers - thanks for that Mike. Maybe I'll give one of the new ones a try sometime.

• Members

I have one of the Vox cables and I haven't experienced any of the problems that Phil has mentioned (yet). I just find it convenient more than anything. I haven't really discerned any tonal differences but it makes it much easier to keep my cables tidy.

same here... I have a vox and it's just good and easy to just chuck in a bag.. no tangles, no need to loop it up or anything. it's treated me well.

• Members

I used to use coily cables to roll off the high-end and avoid the hassle of having to deal with the tangle of excessive straight cable length when playing straight into an overly bright Fender Twin Reverb. When I played through loads of effects, enough highs were cut that I'd use shorter straight cables in those situations. These days, I play through a Vox AC30H2 which can be bright without being brittle or piercing so I never use coilys anymore.

Archived