NAMM PEDAL THREAD

Devi Ever

• Members

Moog Voyager is a monosynth with a huge amount of features that the Moog Rogue doesn't boast.

The Moog guitar system has what, two more features? It's got muting and it's got individual string selection.

I don't see the comparison at all.

I think it's a very good analogy

and they really are very different the moog is the next generation at least for this kind of technology

its all about the independent string sustain and as sausagefoot said the other advanced features and controllability it offers while they may seem not to be drastic changes externally and on paper it's a bit like economies of scale it takes allot of tech under the hood to achieve seemingly simple but very useful new features that increase playability and changes the nature of the instrument

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Woah, I've never heard of the Bigfoot! I have a real Maggie (a '62 as it happens), and I've been wishing for a proper vibrato pedal that come close to my Maggie. Hell, if I knew more about circuits, I'd have built an outboard tube based one by now!

The Maggie circuit isn't tube-based - its Varistors.

The only Varistor-based Maggie vibrato units that I know of are in the Juke amps and the Vibroman 2.0 rack unit built by the vibroworld.com dude Zack who is Robert Cray's guitar tech.

That Bigfoot sounds good from the clips I've heard.

• Members

Yeah, I don't think comparing the fernandes sustainer to the moog is all that useful. As far as I understand it, the sustainer can't mute strings. In a way a fernandes is like wedging the sustain pedal on a piano open while the moog is more like a piano with a full 3-pedal sustain control setup.

• Members

Yeah, I don't think comparing the fernandes sustainer to the moog is all that useful. As far as I understand it, the sustainer can't mute strings. In a way a fernandes is like wedging the sustain pedal on a piano open while the moog is more like a piano with a full 3-pedal sustain control setup.

YES!

I'm stealing this. That's a perfect analogy for what it does dynamically for the guitar.

• Members

Technically you could flip the sustainer on and off, similar to the way you use a sustain pedal couldn't you?

Slightly OT:

I've never used a fernandes sustainer, though as soon as I get some pickup winding wire, I'm going to try to wind one for about 8 ohms and see what I can do with it. I was thinking about the sitar type reverb and it came to me that a fernandes sustainer pickup would be perfect for driving the strings in a "string reverb." I hope to try that soon.

• Members

I apologize, I read about it when it first came out and didn't realize it was that advanced.

Technically you could flip the sustainer on and off, similar to the way you use a sustain pedal couldn't you?

Slightly OT:

I've never used a fernandes sustainer, though as soon as I get some pickup winding wire, I'm going to try to wind one for about 8 ohms and see what I can do with it. I was thinking about the sitar type reverb and it came to me that a fernandes sustainer pickup would be perfect for driving the strings in a "string reverb." I hope to try that soon.

You can also wire a small speaker up in a box underneath some tuned strings and use regular guitar pickups to pick up the vibrations of those strings up. You could then have a controls that send that pickup's signal back to the small speaker at various levels and a simple mixing circuit to mix the output back in with your regular guitar signal.

I've been thinking about building something like that, myself.

I really would like to go super analog and start building physical guitar effects.

This is mind boggling to me. Akai is sitting on a {censored}ing gold mine with the discontinued Deep Impact and they won't re-release the thing.

SB1Side.jpg

It's tracking is sooooo good down to a low B on bass. Presets and fairly deep tweaking too. They're selling for $500+ last time I looked.

I asked about this specifically, and was told there was no way they could reissue it due to parts availability issues. If you can't get the parts anymore, you can't make the pedal... :(

• Members

I asked about this specifically, and was told there was no way they could reissue it due to parts availability issues. If you can't get the parts anymore, you can't make the pedal...
:(

That's strange... did they mention anything specifically? I can't imagine what was in there that is no longer produced, it was an all digital pedal AFAIK.

It's an amazing pedal, I still regret selling mine :(

• Members

That's strange... did they mention anything specifically? I can't imagine what was in there that is no longer produced, it was an all digital pedal AFAIK.

It's an amazing pedal, I still regret selling mine
:(

so was the original whammy

but they can't get the chips for that anymore

• Members

You can also wire a small speaker up in a box underneath some tuned strings and use regular guitar pickups to pick up the vibrations of those strings up. You could then have a controls that send that pickup's signal back to the small speaker at various levels and a simple mixing circuit to mix the output back in with your regular guitar signal.

I've been thinking about building something like that, myself.

I really would like to go super analog and start building physical guitar effects.

Wilco did something similar on YHF. They tuned guitar strings on an acoustic all to the same note which was whatever note on the piano they were playing. Put a speaker inside to drive the strings then placed a mic there to pick up the sound. They did that for every note they played on that part then totally dropped the original piano out and only used the sound of the guitar strings vibrating to those frequencies.

Archived