NAMM PEDAL THREAD

Devi Ever

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Yeah, if I had any idea how to artfully play lap steel I'd want one. As is the Moog Guitar is my GAS machine. I just want Mogwai to buy one of the lap steel versions
:)

I see sooo many applications for this thing but I just cannot in anyway justify it, especially when my synth list is longer than a country mile. Jupiter 8, Ms-20, Voyager, Prophet, Sh-01, Yamaha Cs-80, Buchla 200e series, more modular stuff than I can list, PPG Wave, Ems synthi, etc., etc. about 100k might cover it... lol. If I can just get any one of those in the next year I'll be happy.

BTW, I know this isn't the right thread for it but Bass_Econo and I are going to focus on our band again after having a lot of other projects taking precedent. I'm playing a baritone through a pretty weird board, into my Matamp Gt100, along with a mixer with feedback loops/other noise sources, a Waldorf Blofeld and Juno 60. Then Econo has the same type of setup but with different synths/pedals/etc. and our drummer will have an acoustic kit mixed with electronic triggers, fx and hopefully a Tempest. Once we get this stuff recorded it is going to be {censored}ing insane! I'll be sure to share as soon as possible. The new space will have everything moved into it within another week and we can really get to work. The amount of gear there is going to be massive.

• Members

But close enough for 1/5 the difference, no?

I mean seriously - if lap is your primary instrument then by all means...

have you seen this?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/14/moog-lap-steel-adds-infinite-analog-sustain-to-the-top-of-your-t/

It's not really the same at all. Lap Steel isn't my instrument but it's impressive as hell.

• Members

Or put a Fernandes sustainer in a lap steel.

From what I understand, the only advantage of the Moog would be that it has a muting mode (which I'm sure could be done with the correct phasing of the sustaining pickup) and a built in Moog Ladder LPF (which could be cloned or bought separately.)

• Members

Alright who else has put a Sustainer, Lpf, individual string mute, etc. in a lap steel? I haven't heard it yet but apparently someone besides Moog has because everyone is suggesting it like it has. I'd like to hear clips to compare because the Moog sounds stellar and the Fernandes systems I have heard in the past don't sound near that sweet. I realize it is just sustaining the note so the tone of the guitar/amp is the tone of the note but the Moog sounds great and seems to have a lot of options without a ton of controls, like the guitar with all the built in pedals in the other thread. I'm not sure I've seen another guitar that allowed you to mute the individual strings... Regardless if there are other people out there doing anything similar that I haven't seen please link me. Thanks!

Also, Moog Lap Steel - Moog Pedals - Magnatone amp would be great (especially if that sweet ass Magantone vibrato had a momentary switch)! Erskin, you guys do a great job at getting excellent amp tones out of pedals, have you ever considered trying to put the Magnatone vib in a pedal? The one my friend had sounded better than any other I have ever heard. The Ep-1 tape echo into that amp was one of the greatest sounds I've ever heard.

• Members

I think they also have a germanium fuzz coming out too. The Subdecay Liquid Sunshine has 2 gain levels too.

No germanium fuzz but we have just started shipping the Marquis- a germanium boost pedal with a hybrid (Ge/JFET) mode. The germanium alone is a classic treble booster sound with a bit of added grit while the hybrid mode is a full range clean boost.

• Members

Alright who else has put a Sustainer, Lpf, individual string mute, etc. in a lap steel? I haven't heard it yet but apparently someone besides Moog has because everyone is suggesting it like it has. I'd like to hear clips to compare because the Moog sounds stellar and the Fernandes systems I have heard in the past don't sound near that sweet. I realize it is just sustaining the note so the tone of the guitar/amp is the tone of the note but the Moog sounds great and seems to have a lot of options without a ton of controls, like the guitar with all the built in pedals in the other thread. I'm not sure I've seen another guitar that allowed you to mute the individual strings... Regardless if there are other people out there doing anything similar that I haven't seen please link me. Thanks!

Also, Moog Lap Steel - Moog Pedals - Magnatone amp would be great (especially if that sweet ass Magantone vibrato had a momentary switch)! Erskin, you guys do a great job at getting excellent amp tones out of pedals, have you ever considered trying to put the Magnatone vib in a pedal? The one my friend had sounded better than any other I have ever heard. The Ep-1 tape echo into that amp was one of the greatest sounds I've ever heard.

I'm not saying anyone else has, I'm just saying that you could, and you'd save some scratch.

Look, I think that the Moog guitars are pretty neat, but no way I could afford them.

• Members
BTW, I know this isn't the right thread for it but Bass_Econo and I are going to focus on our band again after having a lot of other projects taking precedent. I'm playing a baritone through a pretty weird board, into my Matamp Gt100, along with a mixer with feedback loops/other noise sources, a Waldorf Blofeld and Juno 60. Then Econo has the same type of setup but with different synths/pedals/etc. and our drummer will have an acoustic kit mixed with electronic triggers, fx and hopefully a Tempest. Once we get this stuff recorded it is going to be {censored}ing insane! I'll be sure to share as soon as possible. The new space will have everything moved into it within another week and we can really get to work. The amount of gear there is going to be massive.

I would LOVE to hear that :love:

I need to listen back to your solo tracks some more too. It was really cool/interesting stuff :)

• Members

the fernandes sustainer, while similar, sustains in a different way, it seems. from the videos, it looks like the moog system only sustains the individual strings youre playing somehow, reducing a lot of extra noise, where the fernandez sustainer does all strings, so if you dont mute the strings you're not playing, they'll ring out/feed back as well (unless they've changed something in the last ten years).

the moog system sounds like a vast improvement.

• Members

Erskin, you guys do a great job at getting excellent amp tones out of pedals, have you ever considered trying to put the Magnatone vib in a pedal? The one my friend had sounded better than any other I have ever heard.

Maybe - we'd need to find an actual amp to A/B it against though as I've sold off my old '62 440. The guys who've owned real Maggies and have A/B'd them against the Bigfoot FX MagnaVibe give that one pretty high marks but I haven't played one myself. I'd like to though.

And I'm really not trying to slam the Moog Lap - I know it's doing something very unique that can't be 100% duplicated by other means. It's just $3K for something that is typically a peripheral instrument is gonna keep it out of a lot of hands, you know?

• Members

Not even close is an overstatement. They do similar things, so they are close. Is the Moog really worth the 3000 dollars though?

See analogy for statement qualifier.

If, to me, "not even close" is analogous to a Moog Rogue vs a Moog Voyager.....

then tangentially associated (and similar on the surface) products are dissimilar if one of said products has vastly more versatility and a deeper level of functionality, almost to the point of being unrelated.

• Members

Yes, the two gain knobs independently control two cascaded discrete gain stages- no diode clipping. I'm really digging this pedal.

nice! So how would you describe the sound? More clear/biting and marshall-like or smoother like the j-drive?

• Members

nice! So how would you describe the sound? More clear/biting and marshall-like or smoother like the j-drive?

Definitely two different animals... I'd say the prototype is generally more aggressive sounding, more 'Marshall-y' and offers a wider range of gains than the J-Drive.

I'm really liking the two gain controls- there are a lot of shades to be found within. It responds really well to playing dynamics and volume control manipulation and the MID control alters the character of the pedal in pretty distinctive ways. Crank it up and it cuts and sings, back it down slightly from noon and it's a great rootsy tone that seems to really compliment a strat. If you reduce the MID control all the way and crank the gains with a humbucker it does nice 'chugga chugga' rhythm tone. There's also a bright switch- currently on the side of the prototype but the final version will have it on top with the other controls.

It's funny, I could actually see myself using two of these on my board set to radically different tones.

• Members

Maybe - we'd need to find an actual amp to A/B it against though as I've sold off my old '62 440. The guys who've owned real Maggies and have A/B'd them against the Bigfoot FX MagnaVibe give that one pretty high marks but I haven't played one myself. I'd like to though.

And I'm really not trying to slam the Moog Lap - I know it's doing something very unique that can't be 100% duplicated by other means. It's just $3K for something that is typically a peripheral instrument is gonna keep it out of a lot of hands, you know?

I didn't even know about the Bigfoot pedal, thanks. I would love to have an accurate reproduction of it in pedal form, such a great sound. Also, you wouldn't happen to know if the chorus in the Juno 106 is just a Ce-1 would you? I've always loved the sound of it but haven't ever known if it was the same...

• Members

Woah, I've never heard of the Bigfoot! I have a real Maggie (a '62 as it happens), and I've been wishing for a proper vibrato pedal that come close to my Maggie. Hell, if I knew more about circuits, I'd have built an outboard tube based one by now!

• Members

See analogy for statement qualifier.

If
, to me, "not even close" is analogous to a Moog Rogue vs a Moog Voyager.....

then
tangentially associated (and similar on the surface) products are
dissimilar
if one of said products has vastly more versatility and a deeper level of functionality, almost to the point of being unrelated.

Moog Voyager is a monosynth with a huge amount of features that the Moog Rogue doesn't boast.

The Moog guitar system has what, two more features? It's got muting and it's got individual string selection.

I don't see the comparison at all.

• Members

Moog Voyager is a monosynth with a huge amount of features that the Moog Rogue doesn't boast.

The Moog guitar system has what, two more features? It's got muting and it's got individual string selection.

I don't see the comparison at all.

Look, I like you Spectral. And I love your avatar. The problem is that you're driving me to drink more of it.

Moog Guitar = 6 Low Pass filters, CV i/o, 3 sustain options, a freaking computer inside it, piezo, harmonic shifting between pickups, and vastly more controlled sustain.

Fernandes Sustainer = 6 stringed ebow at best if you

Archived