can pedals cause your pickup selector switch to break? [i know this sounds weird]

hangwire

• Members

I was just testing a fuzz pedal and noticed my wife's hollowbody LP clone pickup selector doesn't work. I didn't think much of this as it is a cheapy... but then my 60s 12 string hollowbody also had the pickup selector go out! then my dano clone!!!

it is a fuzz/octave that is responsive to knob and pickup selection... could the pedal have overloaded anything in the selector???

that seems odd, but it is more off that 3 separate guitars that have been sitting on a stand that they have been on for the past 6 months would suddenly have the same problem...

so I am 80% "this was just a bad coincidence"... but wanted to throw it out there :lol:

• Members

'import' switches can go pretty easily. I doubt a pedal can do anything to them as they're entirely mechanical.

Unless by LP clone/60s hollowbody you meant Firebird X - who knows what the {censored} would happen then.

The sheer nerve of using other pedals with a Firebird X causes your board to explode.

• Members

Ha ha static? Fog? Really?

Guys, have you looked at a pickup selector before? There's nothing static or weather sensitive about it (except, maybe, if it was struck by lightning or got rusty). It's about as volatile as a light switch except the parts are more prone to wear out cause they're smaller and more delicate.

There's no way a fuzz pedal could destroy it period. Fuzz pedals are 9 volts tops and even if it managed to malfunction somehow, sending 9 volts up into your guitar isn't going to do anything. Keep in mind that you can test a 9 volt battery's charge by licking it across the contacts. That should be an indicator of its destructive powers.

Even if your amp managed to send 120v up into the guitar i doubt it would affect the selector (and you'd have felt that right away).

It sounds like you just have some mechanically failed switches.

• Members

Ha ha static? Fog? Really?

Guys, have you looked at a pickup selector before? There's nothing static or weather sensitive about it (except, maybe, if it was struck by lightning or got rusty). It's about as volatile as a light switch except the parts are more prone to wear out cause they're smaller and more delicate.

There's no way a fuzz pedal could destroy it period. Fuzz pedals are 9 volts tops and even if it managed to malfunction somehow, sending 9 volts up into your guitar isn't going to do anything. Keep in mind that you can test a 9 volt battery's charge by licking it across the contacts. That should be an indicator of its destructive powers.

Even if your amp managed to send 120v up into the guitar i doubt it would affect the selector (and you'd have felt that right away).

It sounds like you just have some mechanically failed switches.

Iiii hope you know most of the replies in this thread were jokes right? Sometimes it's hard to tell :/

Archived