MI Audio CRUNCH BOX 9V vs. 18V vs. 24V Shootout (Youtube Demo)

Johansolo

• Members

That is a lot brighter than I remember mine being. I remember I used to almost crank the tone knob, and still think it sounded dark. Awesome pedal, but I could never get it to sound right. These all sound good though. Cool stuff, and I couldn't tell much of a difference. Not enough to care anyway. Thanks for doing this. :thu:

• Members

That is a lot brighter than I remember mine being. I remember I used to almost crank the tone knob, and still think it sounded dark. Awesome pedal, but I could never get it to sound right. These all sound good though. Cool stuff, and I couldn't tell much of a difference. Not enough to care anyway. Thanks for doing this.
:thu:

there is an internal trimpot, which i havent adjusted since storing it away a few years ago.

V1 was darker apparently, this is V2

• Members

I used to run my Tube Zone at 18V and it definitely had a "bigger" sound about it, not sure I'm hearing it in this demo of the crunch box but I suppose that could be due to the ol' youtube compression.

The change from 9V to 18V has a MASSIVE effect on my OCD though.

• Members

I used to run my Tube Zone at 18V and it definitely had a "bigger" sound about it, not sure I'm hearing it in this demo of the crunch box but I suppose that could be due to the ol' youtube compression.

The change from 9V to 18V has a MASSIVE effect on my OCD though.

Yup I had the big 6knob TZ n found the same thing@18v.wish I still had that pedal.

Very good point bout the youtube comp as well.

Ill c how it goes with trying to do a demo of my timmy and suhr shiba drive at 18v

• Members

Yup I had the big 6knob TZ n found the same
I still had that pedal.

Very good point bout the youtube comp as well.

Ill c how it goes with trying to do a demo of my timmy and suhr shiba drive at 18v

Yeah I still have my 6 knob (version 3) Tube Zone but I'm just not gelling with it anymore. It's a great pedal but I just can't voice it the way I want, so I'm sticking with my OCD.

I'll definitely be interested in seeing those other demos!

• Members

I couldn't tell much difference, sounded good in any setting. You really have your volume cranked too, I wonder if that made any difference one way or another. I imagine hearing it in person you could hear the subtleties of the different voltages easier.

• Members

if all those voltages sound the same I think something is fishy...

The circuit relies on the supply voltage being too low to the op amp(s) to avoid clipping. Increase the voltage to them and that changes. i don't see it having an effect on the led stage though, so I don't expect it to 'clean up'.

If anything, you want a lower than 9v supply to get a more extreme sound.

• Members

I'm very interested in a crunch box. I typically play TGP/Mayer white guy blooz, except it sounds really {censored}ty, but I like having a higher gain distortion to mess with. Right now I run pedals into a clean amp, but I want to get the new Marshall Class 5 Mk II when it comes out, so I may just wind up boosting it to get higher gain tones.

Archived