Lets talk synths... What do you use?

Kid_A

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Shipatseas, how do you like that exfade 606. Ive been thinking of sending mine in for the exfade mods.

Do it! It's awesome. Have him replace the switch board too while he is in there with one from technology transplant. Oh and have him install the backup battery too. The sounds are amazing. 808 kicks and 909 low toms with 606 programming. Seriously this will end want for any other drum machine. The seperate outs are great too.

• Members

Yes, you're correct, but it also had a step sequencer and arpeggiator that the Prophet V lacked.

Hrrrm, yeah, I'm not as big into softsynths so I'm not sure what's out there with regards to Prophet emulations. Somebody must have had the forethought to tack on an Arp or sequencer. That would just be an epic miss to not update it with useful modern features. Hell, the Prophet 08' has that :idk:

• Members

sausagefoot, if you haven't tried the Prophet '08, you owe it to yourself - if you want a killer polysynth, it's definitely worth checking out.

Have, and I love it. I'm still holding out for Dave to design something with a hybrid Tetra/Prophet 08' voice architecture. The Tetra/Mopho's voice architecture is vastly more versatile as they both have all the modulation possibilities of the Prophet 08', but they add subs for each oscillator as well as a really musical feedback distortion. Beyond that the filter on the P 08' needs to be more versatile. I hope that one whatever polysynth Dave designs next (Tempest is technically one, but it's integrated into the drum machine concept) that he includes a dual multimode (LP/BP/HP) filter setup. That would really make it work for me.

The Prophet 08' is a wonderful synth that I actually do really gel with from the perspective of interface (true for all of DSI's stuff) but the voice architecture needs to be updated with some of the design additions from the rest of his line.

• Members

I kind of wanted a Mopho, but then I saw the keyboard - now my GAS is really building.

Phil, I kid you not, you will LOVE the Mopho. If all you're looking for is an analog mono with a Prophet 08'-esque voice architecture, it's pretty much perfect. You live LA-ish, you should definitely be able to try one in one of the music stores down there :)

Edit: Aaaand if you're looking for something with a Prophet's voice architecture PLUS a whole bunch of other useful stuff, check my sig. Nod's as good as a wink guvna, say no more, say no more ;)

({censored}, I totally just spammed Phil)

• Members

sausagefoot, did you ever pick up a microSAMPLER? I know you started the big-ish thread in KSS about them.

I was going to, and I honestly love the thing. It's versatile as hell and can't be beat in that price range, but in the end I realized that I needed something that would take samples and use them within a synthesis environment, i.e. not just as one shots to be processed internally later. For a sample synth I've narrowed it down to the Blofeld or the Korg Kronos. This isn't {censored}ting on the Microsampler by any stretch of the imagination btw. It's just accepting that what I wanted to do musically with "found sounds" just wasn't going to be able to happen on a Microsampler. I still heavily recommend it to anyone who's looking for sample playback, sequencing, and processing. It's basically a little Kaoss pad (FX wise) with a keybed full of samples. All around win if that's what you need.

• Members

Dude, the Tempest is one of those products that just knocked me
out
at NAMM. I got the whole in-depth demo directly from Roger Linn; it's a seriously cool box - the biggest advance in beatboxes in ages IMO.

Yeah, looking over the demos a second time I began to grasp just how deep, intuitive, and versatile that thing is going to be. Beyond all that it's actually the most performance orientated beat box (if you can use that term without limiting it) I've ever seen. Dave definitely has a winner on his hands. The sound of the Tempest isn't what I'd go for though. Most loops and rhythms I write are a combination of more electronic, digital, mangled stuff, as well as alot of found sounds. Tempest doesn't sample, and doesn't have onboard bitcrushing, sample reduction, or granular sampling. So for me it's a pass. I'm more of a Machinedrum/Octatrack guy :)

• Members

I have a desktop version, without the sampling license, been looking into that but figured it wasn't worth the $ to get the license for a measly 60mB of sample RAM

K. Just went through some of the samples I plan on loading and I think you're right. 60mb, even with looping, probably isn't enough to really consider it in the running for my main sample synth. {censored}. I guess Kronos it is.

• Members

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, the venom looks cool. I still need to spend more time with it, but I'm not feeling the Gaia right now. if it does go back I may have to see if they can get a venom in, even if 49 keys is a little bigger than what I'm looking for. I wish there were some demo vids out.

• Members

nice stuff in here :)

i sold all my synth, sampler etc.but i want a nord micro modular and waldorf puls+ again :love:

thats all, i am stoned :D

EDIT: and a good sampler would be nice... i used akai mpc and s 2000 and it sounds much better than any VST Drum Machine. the s2000 was connectet with the atari :lol:

Archived