Lets talk synths... What do you use?

Kid_A

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have that one. It's pretty freaking awesome!

But I bet you'd like my fiction Prophet better. It'll have the exact same modulation, envelope, and LFO count, but it'll add the Tetra's subs and feedback distortion, as well as a mixable LP/BP/HP dual filter. We can call it Prophet 2012' the Prophet of doom ;)

• Members

Did you break your arm man?

Yeah, my wrist actually but it is a regular occurrence. I apparently broke it years ago and didn't know it so it didn't heal up right. It has a fracture in it they found last summer that is quite old. For along time I have had issues which my doctor thought was tendonitis but now we've figured out that it was just an old break. It hurts sometimes and limits what I can do in certain situations comfortably but as long as I am not playing constant gigs it doesn't get in the way much. I've not had the best track record with injuries though I've had at least 8 seperate breaks, 2 teeth knocked out, 30 some odd stitches on my forehead (from getting the hell knocked out of me) and 20 more around my lip and into my gum (again from getting the hell knocked out of me) just to name a few. I am on a first name basis with the er staff at this point, they send me hand written x-mas cards...

• Members
Questions for you Blofeld owners. How easy is it to work with samples as oscillators on the Blofeld? I've heard that you need 3rd party editing software (Soundforge, Bias Peak, etc) to create looping samples, and thusly conserve some of that smallish 60mb of sample RAM.

I've been looking for a synth for sample manipulation (hence me selling my MEK) and I've pretty much come up with the Nord Wave, Waldorf Blofeld, and Korg Kronos. The Blofeld has a fraction of the other's sample storage capacity, and it's not exactly, from all accounts I've heard, as user friendly as those other two, but the thing that keeps drawing me to the Blofeld is its insanely (Virus-like) flexible architecture. Neither the Nord Wave or the Kronos can frequency modulate samples with other samples. Plus the Blofeld has a lot of FX that I'd consider indispensible (bit crushing), near audio range LFO's, as well as a super versatile filter setup. The Nord Wave, though twice the price, can't even come close to touching that.

Anyway, can anyone here record an example of sample oscillators frequency modulating other sample oscillators?
I would be eternally grateful.

Also, how quick and intuitive is programming on the Blofeld? It seems logically laid out, but I'm always scared of getting a synth that's not knobby enough, because I {censored}ing HATE menu diving.

Yeah, my wrist actually but it is a regular occurrence. I apparently broke it years ago and didn't know it so it didn't heal up right. It has a fracture in it they found last summer that is quite old. For along time I have had issues which my doctor thought was tendonitis but now we've figured out that it was just an old break. It hurts sometimes and limits what I can do in certain situations comfortably but as long as I am not playing constant gigs it doesn't get in the way much. I've not had the best track record with injuries though I've had at least 8 seperate breaks, 2 teeth knocked out, 30 some odd stitches on my forehead (from getting the hell knocked out of me) and 20 more around my lip and into my gum (again from getting the hell knocked out of me) just to name a few. I am on a first name basis with the er staff at this point, they send me hand written x-mas cards...

hahahah Jesus, Shea.

I had a Pro-One for a while mainly because I was going through a huge Metric phase and Emily uses one. I didn't get on with it too well so I flipped it and kept my little phatty.

I'd quite like to try one of those in comparison to the Phatty. Dave Smith made the Pro-One didn't he? So that looks like a modern revision even...

Yeah, Dave was the guy behind Sequential Circuits, and the creator of the Prophet V, the Pro One, etc. He was also the driving force behind the creation of MIDI. When the history of musical innovations of the 20th century is definitively written down, Dave's name will be in there alongside guys like Bob Moog and Les Paul. Heckuva nice guy too.

From what Sausagefoot was saying, it is indeed similar to an old Pro One. :cool: A big part of the difference in synths IMHO is the filters - and SCI's had a different flavor than Moog's... not trying to say that either is better or worse; just different... and each has their fans.

Check out this custom wood case I just found; modded with DSI glowing pitch / mod wheels and Prophet 5 knobs:

P5265007.JPG:eekphil::love:

www.synthwood.com/pro-one

• Members

Do it! It's awesome. Have him replace the switch board too while he is in there with one from technology transplant. Oh and have him install the backup battery too. The sounds are amazing. 808 kicks and 909 low toms with 606 programming. Seriously this will end want for any other drum machine. The seperate outs are great too.

thats so hot. i never heard of that. i may just do that...alot of good sounds there

oh Phil

I can't take credit for that - I was merely quoting someone else. :)

That Venom looks cool

The Venom IS cool - I predict they're going to be very popular. I was told at NAMM that "street" was going to be $499, but the other day I saw that Amazon had them up at $399, which is an insanely good deal if true...

• Members
I can't take credit for that - I was merely quoting someone else.
:)

The Venom IS cool - I predict they're going to be very popular. I was told at NAMM that "street" was going to be $499, but the other day I saw that Amazon had them up at $399, which is an insanely good deal if true...

$499, jeez :facepalm: we are getting scammed in the UK, they are ~

• Members

I use a Korg MicroKorg right now. I don't get the MK disdain, because there's tons of options, but I suppose that fiddling around with all the LFO's, oscillation options and the voice stuff, that it's not a "plug in and give me something good"....it's far better after the learning curve, and that being said, I haven't even read half of the goddamn manual (and really should).

Other than that, i'd picked up a Logan String Melody--an old synth from the 70's that is intended to imitate the Mellotron. Nothing sounds quite like this thing.....the natural chorusing and the A/D's on each key really add up to a huge sound. The attack/ sustain happens on each particular key instead of the whole signal/ chord, so you can get that choppy Mellotron sound where each key is shutting off or where the attack is chopped off and rising almost differently. If you see one of these used, beg, borrow, steal or kill for it. I could write an entire album around it.

This isn't my video (and this is the MK2 instead of the MK1 that I have), but it sounds like this--sustain the note and it's exactly half way between an organ and a Mellotron and it's failing in duplicating the Mellotron sound is actually it's success:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vld9p_RYkdc

Archived