Lets talk synths... What do you use?

Kid_A

• Members
I started with this beginning of this year, and I'm having a blast

I went out and got a laptop, not the best one, but a decent one, you'll need plenty of harddisk capacity because some of the larger softsynths have huge libraries, like Komplete7 already needs 96 Gb, Spectrasonics Trillian needs about the same I guess, IK Multimedia packs as well, depends how far you want to go with these and then there are tone of freeware softsynths, some are amazingly good sounding and fun to use/explore.

Just get a 64-bit machine with at least 4Gb of RAM (or more is faster), huge harddisk, and you'll also need a pair of decent monitors (amplified)

Musicradar releases a list of vst plugins each week, they make a nice selection and KVR has a huge download area for freeware synths, or demo stuff you can try

and I was astonished to discover that all the classics synths have a virtual offspring, even the rare EMS Synthis, the Oscar, the Wasp, all Moogs, the CP-80, Odyssey ...

You'll be needing a platform to use the softsytnhs as a plugin, but most (commercial) ones are available as standalone as well. However, plan ahead, if you would like to use your laptop with a hardware synth of some sort, you would need an interface as well, and most of these come with a basic version of one of the standard platforms, but if you would at some point want to use your rig for home recording, it would make sense to get the full version, I ended up getting Ableton Live Suite, pretty easy to work with.

Thanks for the information lads... Looks like Ill be hitting up a laptop soon then :)

Oh and Bieke, them WASP synths are {censored}ing amazing!!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is why I love you guys..... I pretty much just gay'd out there didn't I? Oh well, I'm comfortable with that.

Backatcha ;)

There's something very liberating and refreshing about not chasing the "perfect" sound and instead creatively mixing and matching synthy textures.

I control my samplers and synths with a Roland GK2A, but when that doesn't feel right, I switch over to synthy fuzzes and octavers for a better tactile feel of the sound.

Those are great synths. Built like a toy, but great.

Metal chassis, wood end caps... mine was solid and reliable. :idk: The main beef people had with the Pro One was the keyboard; but I had the earlier / more reliable J wire version and not the later membrane switch version that caused the majority of the complaints.

I'm not sure which I regret selling more, my Pro One or my ARP Odyssey.

I was never an ARP owner, but I can see how that would be a tough call. The Odyssey was a cool synth.

• Members
Backatcha
;)

There's something very liberating and refreshing about not chasing the "perfect" sound and instead creatively mixing and matching synthy textures.

I control my samplers and synths with a Roland GK2A, but when that doesn't feel right, I switch over to synthy fuzzes and octavers for a better tactile feel of the sound.

This is the difference between thinking like a guitarist and thinking like a sound designer/synth guy. Synth guys think in layers and chains. I've always said the average pedal junky is already unwittingly a modular synth junky. They just don't know it yet ;)

My taste for synths with uber flexible architecture modulation and routing architecture definitely informed my taste for pedals, and ultimately completely changed the way I play guitar.

• Members

Meriphew, I have the option of getting a JV1010 or a JV1080 for about the same price... what would you recommend? It seems the 1010 packs a serious punch, but the computer software is now defunct
:(

The JV1080 is a better choice IMO. I really like the various expansion cards that you can put in them.

• Members
Oh crud... GAS:

692182.jpg

GAS = Founded. It's got the same modulation matrix as the MEK I'm selling with analog subs and an extremely musical filter feedback distortion. Kicks the Little Phatty's balls off in my opinion.

I'm still holding out for a Tetra keyboard though. If I go analog again, I'm going poly ;)

• Members

So, maybe this is a good place to ask. What is a good little midi controller (about the size of that DSI keyboard) with a separate mod wheel and pitch wheel. The one i am using now isn't awful but it has a control that combines mod with pitch into an X/Y kinda thing and I can't really just set the mod wheel to an amount because it's spring loaded.

Although...I could probably set one of its knobs to do that if i knew wtf i was doing...

So, maybe this is a good place to ask. What is a good little midi controller (about the size of that DSI keyboard) with a separate mod wheel and pitch wheel. The one i am using now isn't awful but it has a control that combines mod with pitch into an X/Y kinda thing and I can't really just set the mod wheel to an amount because it's spring loaded.

Although...I could probably set one of its knobs to do that if i knew wtf i was doing...

Avid / M-Audio had a new, really cool little 49 key virtual analog synth they were showing at NAMM that should be shipping now, or very soon. It's called Venom ($399 "street"), and I really liked the sound of it. It has separate mod and pitch wheels, and in addition to being able to use it as a controller keyboard, it has an audio in jack, so you can process external audio through the filters, etc. It's a bit bigger than the DSI Mopho keyboard, but if it's going to be your only keyboard controller, having something a bit larger than that, with a few extra keys, might not be a bad thing.

If you really like the smaller size, and want to use it with a laptop for "on the go" stuff, something like an M-Audio Oxygen 25 ($130) or a Axiom 25 ($250) might work out for you. I have an Oxygen 8 V2, which is very similar to the Oxygen 25, and for what it is, it's been a good unit for me.

But if you're looking for a relatively inexpensive keyboard controller, and want separate mod / pitch wheels, and wouldn't mind having a really cool sounding 12 voice VA synth tossed in - all for $399 total, Venom is well worth checking out - the sound and features of it (and yes, I did get to sit and play with one for a good half an hour at NAMM) really impressed me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7zCMmEiCKQ

• Members
Thanks for the information lads... Looks like Ill be hitting up a laptop soon then
:)

Oh and Bieke, them WASP synths are {censored}ing amazing!!

never played a real WASP, but it sure is fun to play the vst
there are several to choose from, I prefer DaHornet (merely because of its looks)
there are others that have similar specs to the Wasp but with more functionalities
I just love having a whole arsenal of classic synths at my fingertips, after 2 months I have 300Gb of softsynths installed and still growing.
:facepalm:

• Members

Would something like this be worth picking up for softsynths?

Acer 5520G 4gb Ram Nvidia 8600M Gt Dual Core X2 64bit Color White
PROCESSOR: ATHLON 64 X2 dual core 64bit
VIDEO: Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT (a powerful card for gamers and graphic)
RAM: 4GB DDR2
HARD DISK: 250GB
Windows Vista

• Members

At the moment I use my friends half working Realistic(Moog) Concertmate MG-1, which sounds great when it's working properly, but I really don't like how they dumbed down the control section. It almost makes it harder to use effectively.

Also love the Nintendo DS10 plus. For myself, it's a really powerful program that I can make simple beat orriented sounds and some dirty drones. I'd love to get a real Ms-20 someday, heck, I'd be happy with a Ms-10.

Also have a Casio Sk-1 and Sk-5, and some other cheaper keyboards and electric organ things that I like to run through effects. The Sk-1 is one of my favorites though, I how dirty and lo-fi it sounds.

• Members
Would something like this be worth picking up for softsynths?

Acer 5520G 4gb Ram Nvidia 8600M Gt Dual Core X2 64bit Color White

PROCESSOR: ATHLON 64 X2 dual core 64bit

VIDEO: Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT (a powerful card for gamers and graphic)

RAM: 4GB DDR2

HARD DISK: 250GB

Windows Vista

• Members

there's always something missing with laptops, but look around and you will find a bargain laptop that gets close to what you need, out of those two, hmmmm

pro Acer : 4 Gb RAM, dual core processor

con ACER : 250 Gb harddisk, runs on Vista (Win7 is more stable), wut? no wireless LAN/Wifi thingie you won't be able to sit on the toilet while downloading softsynths (unless .... nevermind)

pro Toshiba : 500 Gb Harddisk, dual core processor, Wifi, runs on Win7

con Toshiba : 1Gb RAM (with WIn7 that is going to run slow)

so out of those 2 I'd go with the Acer, but look around, there are plenty of bargain laptops around, 1-2 years old, at least a 17" screen would be nice, 4gb RAM, 500Gb harddisk, DVD/CD writer, Wifi, at least 2 USB ports, the more the better

alsohave a look at the HP Pavilion DV6000 and up (DV9000, DV7, ...)

Acers are known to be best bargains, relatively reliable, Toshiba has a better reputation

Everyday I love you more and more

Archived