So people say that "playing live, you won't hear the difference"...

Cirrus

• Members

There's a lot of pedal players on this forum that care about the subtle nuances of their delay pedal, but not a whole lot of musicians. Anyone who gigs knows that {censored} goes right out the window when you play live.

Crxsh'd

I play live. And I play pedals/gear that I like the sound of. Because that's what important to me. Fact is, I don't care that much about what the audience thinks of the nuances of my delay repeats or the decay of my overdrive. Obviously, I'd like them to think that I sound good... but I'm a very selfish player in that regard. I want to like the sound that comes out of my amp. And I'm perfectly content thinking of it that way.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

While it might be true to a certain extent with pedals (although if you have really {censored} pedals it will matter) try taking a {censored} amp or bad guitar to a show. People will certainly notice that you sound like ass.

As for the right effects, it partly depends on the kind of gig. If you're using them in a more improv/jazz oriented environment where the tones are cleaner people can tell if your effects suck much more easily. In any environment, though, if I feel like I sound like {censored} I know I'm certainly going to play with less confidence.

• Members

Thats why I play loud all the time including at home, band practice, and gigs that way Im always dealing with the same tone from my amps. As someone pointed out the room and even being outside can alter your best efforts. I use Amps with big headroom and boost pedals that sound harsh at home but sound perfect with the band.

• Members

The other guitar player we have, he can play circles around me. Tremendously skilled. He rocks a couple of Les Paul's into a GC board and plays through a Fender HRD or AC15C1. Most people would say that he sounds really good. And he does

• Members

Find what gets you the sound you need, and what you need to feel, and go with it. I have played out 90% of my gigs in the past 6 years using a Vox Tonelab SE. And I have had plenty a tonehound in disbelief when I tell them that is what I used during the show they just saw.

• Members

SrS, the only time I really notice a players tone...

1: When they are overusing some effect to god awful proportions. Too much phaser, too much flanger, too much wah, too much delay, etc..

or...

2: Some really bad out of date tone. Think 80's, 90's shredder, over processed, super sustainer tonez. Lots of dive bombing on the trem bar ponytails included.

Other than that it's more like "oh they use a Vox AC30", or whatever. I'm not drooling over much of anything unless I see some gorgeous vintage guitar or oddball vintage tube amp.

If I was in the audience I couldn't tell the difference if a player was using a Klon or a tone lok ts7. :idea:

Guest Guest

Ya when I'm in the audience I'll heckle the guitar tones.

I've done this. I've seen other people do this. :idk:

I don't know, it's kind of surprising to me how often other folks recognize/appreciate my setup and how I use it. I don't really think in terms of getting "good tone," but I do like to make sure that what I'm doing works musically. Getting sounds in my head to materialize somehow, experimenting with {censored} in order to come up with sounds I couldn't have imagined, getting it all to work together piece by piece...that's fun, to me. Folks talk to me about it with some regularity at gigs, and I'm not attractive enough for them to just be finding some bull{censored} reason to approach me.

So yeah, I don't know. Seems simple.

• Members

Boutique pedals and amps don't = good music. I love effects and pedals otherwise I wouldn't be in this forum but it all boils down to your songs and how good they are not how many weird delays you use or any of that {censored}.

+1

Guest Guest

Er, I listen to (and have played, extensively) a lot of music that doesn't really function in terms of "songs;" what then?

• Members

people are stupid. not only is it better to have good tone for the audience, it makes you more confident as a player to have your ideal rig.

THIS is exactly how I feel.

Sure... I could get by with a Bad Monkey, DE7, and a Small Clone/Phase 90/another cheap mod pedal, and have a pretty decent sound, and no one in the audience would be able to distinguish between that and the rig I have now.... but I notice, and that matters first. If I know my tone can be improved by spending more money, as long as I have it available, I owe it to myself to go for it.

That may sound simplistic, but it's true. Not one player on this forum can honestly tell me they think their tone/effects suck... because if they did, they wouldn't be on this forum. Even guys like Robo and Natarel enjoy their more economical gear, even as much as they troll others for spending more money on gear.

It's all subjective, but people buy gear that THEY like, not for someone else's pleasure.

• Members

depends on entirely on the music. it's become taboo to think about music in terms of tone, as if that were some pretentious thing (admittedly, for many people it is) but in many cases the gear makes the sound. you won't here doom guys saying they could rock your blues jr. and a ocd, cuz they can't. other, more song-oriented music, like indie-pop or garage, or wedding band {censored}, can get away with whatever for gear/ but bands that have a distinct sound (thinking in purely sonic terms here) wouldn't be caught dead with the backline.

• Members

When people say nobody in the audience will notice the difference, that's often totally untrue. Yeah if you're in a cabaret covers band that's probably the case, but if you play actual gig venues to crowds who regularly go to gigs, there's quite a good portion of those people that can play guitar. Certainly the metal scene round here, a lot of the people that end up coming to gigs are actually in bands themselves.

I know that when I'm the audience rather than the band, I notice what gear people are using and how good they can make it sound. I think it's a little insular to believe that the only people who care about and notice tone live in this here forum.

• Members

There's a lot of pedal players on this forum that care about the subtle nuances of their delay pedal, but not a whole lot of musicians. Anyone who gigs knows that {censored} goes right out the window when you play live.

Crxsh'd

In my experience you dont really know dick all about a piece of gear until you've played it live.

Like you can A/B two things in your bedroom and be like "oh that sounds sweet and analog" and "oh, that ones similar, but a little more piercing" or whatver. But then when you play it with a band A is getting lost in the mix and B sounds awesome.

When I played a crappy solid state amp live it thing would sound Ok a portion of the time but after 30 minutes at loud volumes it started to grate my ears, I dont know if the audience noticed so much but I definitely didnt enjoy it.

• Members

Also rooms can wreak havoc on your perception of tone. I've played rooms where even with the exact settings I normally use I sounded like I was using a completely different rig. I'm not sure you would "hear the difference" in a situation like that either.

This is so true.

• Members

When people say nobody in the audience will notice the difference, that's often totally untrue. Yeah if you're in a cabaret covers band that's probably the case, but if you play actual gig venues to crowds who regularly go to gigs, there's quite a good portion of those people that can play guitar. Certainly the metal scene round here, a lot of the people that end up coming to gigs are actually in bands themselves.

I know that when I'm the audience rather than the band, I notice what gear people are using and how good they can make it sound. I think it's a little insular to believe that the only people who care about and notice tone live in this here forum.

This.

Not to the extent of telling between a TS9 and a clone or whatever but in a broader context people can tell. I've been hanging at a gig with the singer/drummer from my band they'll say to me that guy's guitar sounds weird or whatever, people do notice and they don't have to be guitarists to notice.

• Members

Lots of good posts in this thread, I am pleased. :love:

i only play gigs where the backline is provided and just end up making do
:idk:

I could never do that! I'd be {censored}ting bricks as we set up wondering which bits of songs I was about to render terrible. But someone else made a good point - for some styles of music, the tone doesn't matter as much. For me though I'm not happy unless I know exactly where I'm going to sit in the mix. And I guess that's why the little details matter so much to me.

Because you see, everyone, tone is like an underwater volcano. It might be 20,000 feet tall and 50 miles across at the base, but the only part people see is the little smoking island 200 feet high that sticks out above the sea of noise that is your band.

:eek::p:wave:

Archived