What is the loudest pedal?

Moustache_Bash

i'm thinking i've got a 120 watt amp and a 4x12 480 watt speaker to accompany that and the tube never goes over 9 o' clock on master volume in my house, so i should be fine whatever i run into it.

if you could answer this real fast phil: 480 watt speakers - i'd never be able to accidentally mess those up right - just to be sure. i do some weird stuff sometimes.

What kind of "weird stuff?"

Run DC to them and you could, or maybe if you hit them with enough high amplitude low frequency signals (not likely with your rig), but short of that, no, you're not likely to hurt those speakers - that's assuming it's all wired up properly, and that one of the speakers isn't a mismatched 15 watt, etc. If that's all good, you'll be hurting your ears long before you hurt the speakers.

What type of speakers do you have in there?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

well i run some weird combinations of pedals into it and see how far i can take it, very low rumbling sounds and high pitched sounds at times.

it's a 4x12 vader cab, carnage strain. 2 eminence manowars and 2 "custom" eminence legends in it :)

well i run some weird combinations of pedals into it and see how far i can take it, very low rumbling sounds and high pitched sounds at times.

it's a 4x12 vader cab, carnage strain. 2 eminence manowars and 2 "custom" eminence legends in it
:)

How's it wired? Are you certain the wiring was done properly, and the speaker impedance is correct?

All four speakers are rated at 120W RMS, right? And IIRC, the Man O War is pretty efficient - ~102dB @ 1W / 1m, right? Are the Legends similar in terms of sensitivity? If so, I'll bet that's one LOUD rig. :D I doubt you'll have any issues with hurting anything. Those speakers should easily hang with that rig. Those speakers wouldn't be my choice for super high volume ultra low frequency transients (sharp, hard percussive sounds like hard kick drum hits) and low frequency oscillations, but assuming the cabinet is wired properly and the impedance of the cabinet is matched to the amp, you're not going to hurt anything. Your ears would bleed first. You have the perfect recipe for HIGH volume levels - a high wattage amp and efficient speakers. Be careful and remember to take care of your hearing. You only get one set of ears, and when they're damaged, it's forever... :(

You're only running at 9 o'clock, so I can't see how those speakers are in any danger. Your ears OTOH...

• Members

How's it wired? Are you certain the wiring was done properly, and the speaker impedance is correct?

All four speakers are rated at 120W RMS, right? And IIRC, the Man O War is pretty efficient - ~102dB @ 1W / 1m, right? Are the Legends similar in terms of sensitivity? If so, I'll bet that's one LOUD rig.
:D
I doubt you'll have any issues with hurting anything. Those speakers should easily hang with that rig. Those speakers wouldn't be my choice for super high volume ultra low frequency transients (sharp, hard percussive sounds like hard kick drum hits) and low frequency oscillations, but assuming the cabinet is wired properly and the impedance of the cabinet is matched to the amp, you're not going to hurt anything. Your ears would bleed first. You have the perfect recipe for HIGH volume levels - a high wattage amp and efficient speakers. Be careful and remember to take care of your hearing. You only get one set of ears, and when they're damaged, it's forever...
:(

You're only running at 9 o'clock, so I can't see how those speakers are in any danger. Your ears OTOH...

yeah. everyone else keeps telling me they dime their amps and stuff, i just couldn't see how that was possible. i've never gone to max volume, maybe 50% and I had to use earplugs. the ground was shaking when i played on the thin B-string.

and i plugged a guitar disruptor into that :thu:

thanks for reply phil

• Members

My Pedalmods UK SD-1 is really loud. The loudest pedal I have used, I would think, though I haven't tried it against my Double Muff.

It has three modes.

The first one is essentially a tweaked standard SD-1. (which sounds :love:)

The third is essentially that sound, but tighter, gainier and much louder. It's like the perfect solo boosted version.

And the second is a sort of raw gritty boost. It is louder still.

• Members

photo.jpg

Monster Effects Mastortion - it even comes with ear plugs :lol:

With the gain anywhere over 9oclock, unity is at 8oclock on the volume (off is around 7). It gets stupid loud into a clean or slightly driven amp...but I don't usually get to experience that since I run it as a dirty boost.

Archived