How low could you go ?

warioblast

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If worse comes to worse all I need is a polytune, HM-2, and a DL-4. When we would write we would have tons of pedals on the floor, but when it came time to play out we'd try and keep it as simple as possible, usually using a TS-9DX, HM-2 or Big Muff, and a Boss DD-20 or Line 6 DL-4. We hated playing bars, so we generally stuck to playing houses, and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have a huge ass pedal board in spaces that are generally pretty cramped and full of people. I think we started out only using Russian Big Muffs.

Interesting that you write with lots of gear and play shows with minimal setups. Makes a lot of sense, but I tend to do the opposite. Lately my bedroom rig has just been rat>dm100> twin reverb. Then I run around 15 pedals at gigs.

Different strokes I guess.

• Members

Interesting that you write with lots of gear and play shows with minimal setups. Makes a lot of sense, but I tend to do the opposite. Lately my bedroom rig has just been rat>dm100> twin reverb. Then I run around 15 pedals at gigs.

Different strokes I guess.

When we wrote, it was with the idea that we would someday record these songs, and so we liked to have all of our pedals out. Since we played DIY spaces having a big board was a pain in the ass. Mostly because of the time issue: if something went wrong, there was next to no time to troubleshoot it and you look like an asshole if you take too long. Also playing shows was a pretty cathartic experience, and tap dancing kind takes your focus away.

DSCN0506.jpg

This was my board our last tour before we broke up. A little more complicated than when we started out, but basically {censored} that works and won't break. We didn't get a bassist for about 2 years, so we both used pitch shifters to compensate. I used a Silvertone 1484 into a Peavey 4x10 open back cab when we practiced. When we played out we both used 80's Peavey SS combos- they don't sound super great, but they won't break, and they're loud as {censored}. We kind of realized that it was impossible to have "hi-fi" sound in a lot of the spaces we played, so the Peaveys were perfect for our purposes.

• Members

Although I like pedals and have two boards full of the things, I can and do quite often go without. I have an archtop around the house so I don't have to use an amp.

Fact is, I like pedals, which is why I have filters, compressors and modulation that I don't use much. I also have three overdrives and two delays cos I likes them so much. However the main sound comes from the guitar and the amp. I use a 10w amp so that's cooking nicely and can rise the vol knob all night if I have to.

Personally as in IMHO when playing out I like less to fiddle with. My main choice for a small pedalboard would be Klon DMM and I've used that combo a lot. The Klon is better than most people think and the DMM can be adjusted with a foot.

I've thought a lot re investing in a programmable foot thingy like a gigrig so I can program a load of sounds. It seems overkill to me.

Archived