OT: Conky - Other outdoors guys...

Ryan.

• Members

Oh, it's so {censored}ing sad that I have to be without a knife for a week every 5 years so I can have it professionally sharpened and maintained for free.

So sad. Life is HARD. Everyone should pity me and my knife woes.

Have you ever seen one of these?

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/AS1/accusharp-inchv-inch-sharp-tungston-carbide-replaceable

Sending out your knife to get sharpened is sort of like sending your strat to Fender to get tuned or returning your car to the dealership to get it filled with gas, its sort of absurd. I could understand if it needed to be reprofiled or needed major amounts or work but other than that......

To be fair though if you are only sharpening your knife every 5 years you obviously dont use it but i cant understand going thru the hassle of sending your knife in when in the time it took to read this you could have sharpened your knife.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Come on down! I'm stoked. Never backpacked in Yosemite before.
:D

Wish I could.

Living in the Los Angeles area these days.

Bridal Veil Falls is an easy hike (more of a walk), but its really beautiful.

I haven't been there in years, but they have (had?) a supermarket up there. You can get food and supplies there, but from what I remember, the prices are, well....captive audience and all...

My cousin still lives up there in El Portal. He climbs rocks. Crazy {censored}er.

• Members

True to a certain extent, but its sort of "cool" nowdays to carry the smallest knife possible because some people believe that means you are more of a woodsman. In fact im sure there are people who would be happy to run off in the woods with a thumbtack and a loincloth to make themselves more "cool".

IMHO a knife doesnt really weigh all that much, my Golok is 20 inches overall with a 14" blade made out of distal tapered 1/4 steel and i think it weighs in the vicinity of 2lbs. 2lbs isnt all that much especially if its the tool you need, id rather have too big of a blade and use it lightly than too small of a blade and struggle/destroy it.

Plus lets be honest here, its not like you are running full bore and covering 80 miles a day, the extra 2Lbs means that you might be moving a bit slower and taking more breaks than thumbtack/loincloth man.

I hear you. But coming from a long distant hiking perspective, and the AT was the longest hike I ever did and somewhat influences my philosophy about hiking and hiking gear, the rule is: the less, the better. Seriously, it all adds up when you have to carry EVERYTHING you'll need for 1/2/4/6 months. Plastic spoon over a metal spoon; cutting the handle of your toothbrush in half, etc. I never got that bad (well, just a little), but there were people religiously intent on reducing weight, no matter how insignificant it may seem. As for me, I would rather carry a small, light Swiss Army knife over some large Bowie knife when I'm doing a long distance hike. It really isn't an essential item for me on a hike, anyway. YMMV.

By the way, this was 20 years ago - I have no idea what is cool or hip nowadays in the hiking world. After getting married and having kids, my long distance hiking days are all in the past. Sadly.

• Members

For a fixed blade, I'd recommend the Ontario SK-5 Blackbird. Great knife, full tang, and good steel.

ontario-knife-blackbird-sk-5.jpeg

For a folder, I'd recommend a Benchmade. Determine if you want an "every day carry" type of knife, a tactical knife, or a utility knife. For the first two, Benchmade is awesome. For the third, I'd recommend a stockman-style knife.

I highly recommend Smart Wool socks and sock liners. Also, make sure your boots are broken in before you hit the trails. Blisters suck.

• Members

True to a certain extent, but its sort of "cool" nowdays to carry the smallest knife possible because some people believe that means you are more of a woodsman. In fact im sure there are people who would be happy to run off in the woods with a thumbtack and a loincloth to make themselves more "cool".

IMHO a knife doesnt really weigh all that much, my Golok is 20 inches overall with a 14" blade made out of distal tapered 1/4 steel and i think it weighs in the vicinity of 2lbs. 2lbs isnt all that much especially if its the tool you need, id rather have too big of a blade and use it lightly than too small of a blade and struggle/destroy it.

Plus lets be honest here, its not like you are running full bore and covering 80 miles a day, the extra 2Lbs means that you might be moving a bit slower and taking more breaks than thumbtack/loincloth man.

Good post! :thu:

I may pick up a golok at some point. My favourite of its ilk.

But in the greatest of honesty, I personally think that fixed blade vs. folding is more consequential, and even then I will be acquiring a good fixed as soon as I can, having been using folding knives as long as I've been using things with blades on. It just doesn't matter that much, let alone the fact that most are going into the woods or taking them camping anyway.

• Members

It is very sad that you never learned how to sharpen a knife and i would not recommend anyone following that path. For god sakes they make electric sharpeners and even manual sharpeners that require all of 15 seconds and the ability to hold a knife without dropping it for that length of time.

Kukri's are awesome, what kind are you looking at in particular?

One of the Nepal import ones. I think the website is himalayan imports. (im on my.phone right now and too last to check). Handmade by kamis in the blades country of origin. I'm looking I'm the $120-$180 range, and not just limited to that company. Recommendations?

• Members

ka-barlgknife-lg.jpg

This is what I carry on me when hunting. They're well made and sharp as ever. You'll have no problem skinning and field dressing game with this.

Gerber_Machete.jpg

I also carry one of these. You'll need it. I have mine mounted to the side of my backpack so its out of the way but easy to reach.

• Members

One of the Nepal import ones. I think the website is himalayan imports. (im on my.phone right now and too last to check). Handmade by kamis in the blades country of origin. I'm looking I'm the $120-$180 range, and not just limited to that company. Recommendations?

HI is a good company but they have had some recent tempering problems, you can read up on them at bladeforums.com. There are a few others out there as well including Khurki House and such. I dont have any experience with either of them myself but when i buy a Kukri itll probably be an AngKhola in the 18" range from Khurki House.

I can't believe people here are suggesting carrying a 2lbs blade around with them.

Are you {censored}ing killing bears for fun with that thing?!

I picked it as an example because its one of my heavier blades. In my case the Golok is used because i have to literally cut trails thru my heavily wooded land when i walk it and the Golok does far better than any machete ive ever used.

• Members

damn, should i just get the gerber apocalypse kit?

Gerber-Apocalypse-Kit.jpg

I wouldnt personally, it has numerous choppers but not a real good sheath knife. I do have the Parang though and while its handle is one of the nicer ones ive used ive been less than impressed with the blade itself. In fcat the only real use im getting out of it is the sheath which is currently hauling around my Golok.

• Members

damn, should i just get the gerber apocalypse kit?

Gerber-Apocalypse-Kit.jpg

The only thing I'd want out of there is the Machete. Maybe the axe but the little hatchets they sell in the camping section at Walmart has never let me down and it only costs about 7 bucks.

• Members

HI is a good company but they have had some recent tempering problems, you can read up on them at bladeforums.com. There are a few others out there as well including Khurki House and such. I dont have any experience with either of them myself but when i buy a Kukri itll probably be an AngKhola in the 18" range from Khurki House.

I picked it as an example because its one of my heavier blades. In my case the Golok is used because i have to literally cut trails thru my heavily wooded land when i walk it and the Golok does far better than any machete ive ever used.

Awesome! Thanks. Shopping around the website right now

Archived