OT: Conky - Other outdoors guys...

Ryan.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mine never left my side during my week in the Latvian countryside.

Good size blade, perfect curve, nice handle. It coped with everything I could throw at it.

When in urban areas, I took it off my belt and clipped it to the inside of my cargo pocket on my right leg. Nice and out of the way and not going to get me in trouble, but there if I needed it.

In a First World country I would never carry more than this:

31sDvHAAxZL._SS500_.jpg

If you need a bigger blade than this to open boxes and such, you're doing it wrong!

• Members

That was some hench knowledge.

Also, can I add: Everything in a plastic bag.

Line the inside of your rucksack with a big garden bin bag and then put all your underpants in a small bag, all your socks in one and certainly your sleeping bag in one or even two. Etc etc.

It may seem like a pain or even silly for one night away but if you get into the habit of doing it firstly packing will become therapeutic, secondly even if you drop your bag in a big puddle for a second, you know it's safe.

With the packing technique described, you should be able to fall in a river and have the contents of your pack come out dry.

• Members

Another good brand is ESEE/RAT or their clone company Ontario.

Yes, I like the look of their 'Lite' machete...

Lite_Machete.jpg

Otherwise, sage advise indeed. I can't emphasise more the importance of breaking boots in. The pain can be unbearable, if my experience is anything to go by.

• Members

That was some hench knowledge.

Also, can I add: Everything in a plastic bag.

Line the inside of your rucksack with a big garden bin bag and then put all your underpants in a small bag, all your socks in one and certainly your sleeping bag in one or even two. Etc etc.

It may seem like a pain or even silly for one night away but if you get into the habit of doing it firstly packing will become therapeutic, secondly even if you drop your bag in a big puddle for a second, you know it's safe.

With the packing technique described, you should be able to fall in a river and have the contents of your pack come out dry.

Yes, agree. Rubble sacks from the supermarket work really well, and are dirt cheap at that. I'd use a proper drybag if I had one, but I don't get to hike much these days anyway.

• Members

Best post of the thread. Mora's are dirt cheap, can take a beating, and keep an edge well. Survivalists swear by them.

If you want to go cheap, but cool looking, you can usually find SOG Seal pups for $30 bucks. Great steel, awesome handle, full tang, durable and take an edge well. Cons, the serrations dull or chip easily under heavy use, and the nylon case wears out pretty fast.

Bucks are great knives for the money, I like their folders more than their fixed blades.

Another good brand is ESEE/RAT or their clone company Ontario. Great blades. I swear by my Izula. It goes every where with me, either in my pocket or in my pack.

IMG_1084.jpg

If you want an authentic Viet Cong slaying knife, I'd go with a Randall Model 1...if you can afford it that is.

As for overnight hikes, I recommend multiple fire starting devices. Lighters break and run out of fuel, and magnesium starters can be tricky for beginners. Also bring small firestarter logs, as sometimes wet wood and kindling can be a pain to get started.

Don't forget to bring a set of silverware to use with you (you'd be surprised how many people forget this), a small inflatable pillow for sitting/sleeping, tons of extra socks, a compass, sun screen, two towels, one extra t-shirt, and a small first aid kit primarily for scrapes, cuts, and blisters. Another thing handy to have is a water filter system if you know you'll be around rivers and lakes, if not stock up on about 5-6 liters of water per person if it's just an overnight hike. 6 liters is just a bit over 20lbs so make sure you keep all your other stuff pretty light, if you are going to be out and about for two days, 30+lbs packs can really wear you out.

Also get a really good pair of shoes/boots and make sure they are broken in pretty good before you attempt any sort of long hike. This will cut down on blisters.

Any other questions feel free to PM me.
:wave:

Thanks bro, I appreciate you bringing the knowledge. Not a fan of the KaBar?

• Members

Thanks bro, I appreciate you bringing the knowledge. Not a fan of the KaBar?

While I love older Ka-Bars, the newer ones aren't the same. You are paying primarily for a name as the company no longer makes their knives any more since they were bought out by CUTCO. Maybe I am being a little elitist. I wouldn't discount them if it's your preference, but I personally won't own a newer one. So many other knife companies out there producing much nicer knives.

I'm also not a fan of kershaw (gasp!) as the blades tend to chip easily and their liner locks wear out fast, or are poorly machined from the factory and don't hold a good enough lock, and that's from experience as I own a couple of their knives and I won't buy another (well maybe I might buy a Ripcord, but only because it's a neat knife).

Some people swear by Columbia River Knife and Tool (CRKT) knives, but I've only had bad experiences with them, all with lower level models. I hear their higher end models are pretty stout.

Another suggestion if you are good at sharpening a knife or know a professional is an AK-47 bayonet. You can usually find them in great condition from $3-15 every day with a metal and leather sheath. Usually the edges are ground off for import/collector reasons, but the steel is strong and they will last a life time if you keep them dry or lightly oiled. I usually take mine out with me on longer hikes.

Oh and +1 to waterproofing with ziplocks. 1 gallon bags or even a couple of hefty kitchen trashbags will do, and will make a world of difference. I tend not to do this in the summer and only do it in the fall/winter/spring seasons here. Winter hiking is a whole different story that I won't go into right now.

Oh and probably common sense, but a rubber mat for sleeping on the ground OR a hammock is a must! Preferrably a hammock as they are more comfortable and keep you off the cold ground.

If you don't have propper hiking/out doors clothing (and who does really?) Craghoppers is a great place to start as they have reasonably priced clothing that's comfortable, functional, AND durable. www.us.craghoppers.com

I could go on all day, so I'll end this now.

• Members

This. these are GREAT knives for price to quality. For a bush/camp knife, i really like fixed blade, non serrated blade around 4". I also like cheap because then i tend to use it harder as opposed to being scared to open a can or something with it.

Also, learn to sharpen and hone.

Clipper%20HC%203.JPG

• Members

While I love older Ka-Bars, the newer ones aren't the same. You are paying primarily for a name as the company no longer makes their knives any more since they were bought out by CUTCO. Maybe I am being a little elitist. I wouldn't discount them if it's your preference, but I personally won't own a newer one. So many other knife companies out there producing much nicer knives.

I'm also not a fan of kershaw (gasp!) as the blades tend to chip easily and their liner locks wear out fast, or are poorly machined from the factory and don't hold a good enough lock, and that's from experience as I own a couple of their knives and I won't buy another (well maybe I might buy a Ripcord, but only because it's a neat knife).

Some people swear by Columbia River Knife and Tool (CRKT) knives, but I've only had bad experiences with them, all with lower level models. I hear their higher end models are pretty stout.

Another suggestion if you are good at sharpening a knife or know a professional is an AK-47 bayonet. You can usually find them in great condition from $3-15 every day with a metal and leather sheath. Usually the edges are ground off for import/collector reasons, but the steel is strong and they will last a life time if you keep them dry or lightly oiled. I usually take mine out with me on longer hikes.

Oh and +1 to waterproofing with ziplocks. 1 gallon bags or even a couple of hefty kitchen trashbags will do, and will make a world of difference. I tend not to do this in the summer and only do it in the fall/winter/spring seasons here. Winter hiking is a whole different story that I won't go into right now.

Oh and probably common sense, but a rubber mat for sleeping on the ground OR a hammock is a must! Preferrably a hammock as they are more comfortable and keep you off the cold ground.

If you don't have propper hiking/out doors clothing (and who does really?) Craghoppers is a great place to start as they have reasonably priced clothing that's comfortable, functional, AND durable.
www.us.craghoppers.com

I could go on all day, so I'll end this now.

My buddy just got one of the Glock knives (the plain one, not the saw back http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/GLOCK103-1.html ) and it's pretty cool. I've got an AK bayonet. It's a Romanian one but I never use it because I can't get all of the damn cosmolene out of the sheath. Any suggestions on how to get it all out of there without ruining the finish on it?

• Members

My buddy just got one of the Glock knives (the plain one, not the saw back
) and it's pretty cool. I've got an AK bayonet. It's a Romanian one but I never use it because I can't get all of the damn cosmolene out of the sheath. Any suggestions on how to get it all out of there without ruining the finish on it?

The best thing ive ever used on cosmoline is Gun Scrubber but im not sure what it would do to the sheath.

• Members

) and it's pretty cool. I've got an AK bayonet. It's a Romanian one but I never use it because I can't get all of the damn cosmolene out of the sheath. Any suggestions on how to get it all out of there without ruining the finish on it?

If it's the metal sheath, I'd use brake cleaner, the stuff works great against cosmoline. Honestly I'm not sure how you'd get that junk out of there short of using a pressure washer. I got lucky with mine and the sheath was the least of my problems. CLP also works decently on cosmoline.

• Members

I've read that a soak in charcoal lighter fluid can do the trick with cosmoline. It's cheap enough to be worth the experiment.

• Members

I still don't understand why people need these big assed knives to go camping - unless you're going into the Alaskan wilderness or way up into the Rocky Mountains for a few months.
:idk:

A larger thicker bladed knife is lighter to carry than a hatchet, and can be used to split wood for a fire. Many people enjoy actually camping instead of driving to a camp site and using pre-chopped firewood that they bring with them. An outdoors knife should be between 5-9 inches for optimal use as a camp knife. You can use a knife for more than just cutting things. Sometimes I camp as far as 20+ miles away from where I leave my truck, so I have to improvise my camp site. That said, I need a durable multi use blade. A full tanged knife will hold together for a myriad of tasks as opposed to a good folding knife. Folding knives have their uses in every day life and hiking/camping but are no substitute for "roughing it."

For overnight and day hikes I recommend a 5-6 inch long knife. YMMV, and it's all personal preference.

TLDR; People who actually camp and hike do need a big sturdy field knife.

• Members

A larger thicker bladed knife is lighter to carry than a hatchet, and can be used to split wood for a fire. Many people enjoy actually camping instead of driving to a camp site and using pre-chopped firewood that they bring with them. An outdoors knife should be between 5-9 inches for optimal use as a camp knife. You can use a knife for more than just cutting things. Sometimes I camp as far as 20+ miles away from where I leave my truck, so I have to improvise my camp site. That said, I need a durable multi use blade. A full tanged knife will hold together for a myriad of tasks as opposed to a good folding knife. Folding knives have their uses in every day life and hiking/camping but are no substitute for "roughing it."

For overnight and day hikes I recommend a 5-6 inch long knife. YMMV, and it's all personal preference.

TLDR; People who actually camp and hike do need a big sturdy field knife.

Well, maybe you're right - but I've never really thought about a knife as being an essential tool in my experience hiking and camping. I was more concerned with packs and sleeping bags, tents and stoves. To each their own, I guess.

• Members

Oh! Forgot to add, if you want a super tough utility knife, Glock (yeah the firearms manufacturer) makes a survival knife that's around $20-30 depending on where you look. I cannot say enough good things about them.

k162696_glock-field-knife.jpg

Just picked up a black one. Thanks :thu:

• Members

So new question time:

Any of you guys have recommendations on books to learn common outdoors knots?

I'd like to spend sometime in front of the TV learning essential knots (something I've been wanting to do for a long time).

Any advice/suggestions?

Archived