OT: Conky - Other outdoors guys...

Ryan.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

make sure to bring enough food and water and doobies.

also, a camping lantern of sorts and a hand crank radio. and a ukulele or an acoustic guitar.

also matches and a lighter

all taken care of. :thu: except the guitar... too much weight/space

• Members

I have a leatherman, so this would just be for a hip knife. Quick reach emergency situation, cutting rope, fighting the viet cong, defense, and simple fishing/cleaning...

Well since it looks like you are more looking for a fighting knife the KaBar isnt a bad option at all as its designed as such. At this point it comes down to more personal preference but take a look at Ontario' line, Becker's line and the Condor Boomslang(its on my short list of knives to buy at the moment)

• Members

Well since it looks like you are more looking for a fighting knife the KaBar isnt a bad option at all as its designed as such. At this point it comes down to more personal preference but take a look at Ontario' line, Becker's line and the Condor Boomslang(its on my short list of knives to buy at the moment)

thanks! I'll check them all out

• Members

I've hiked all over the world (Appalachian Trail thru-hiker, as well) and carried only a small Swiss Army knife. The bigger it is, the heavier it is - and you have to carry it.

I know there are widely differing opinions on what is just enough knife to bring but i would not feel comfortable if the only edged thing i bring was a 2 inch bladed Swiss Army knife.

When im out in the woods i usually carry a Ruger Blackhawk and a Condor Golok but to be fair im not camping, i actually live in said woods.

• Members

I know there are widely differing opinions on what is just enough knife to bring but i would not feel comfortable if the only edged thing i bring was a 2 inch bladed Swiss Army knife.

When im out in the woods i usually carry a Ruger Blackhawk and a Condor Golok but to be fair im not camping, i actually live in said woods.

Well, the difference may be in hiking long distances rather than short day hikes or overnighters. :idk:

• Members

Benchmade and Kershaw are great options. Buck as well, and CRKT isn't bad either. Personally, for a folder I'm partial to Spyder Co though. Plenty of good options mentioned in this thread. Oh and when you buy, check out the Cutlery Shoppe they usually have some of the best pricing I've found (coupon code "nutnfancy" should get you free shipping too).

• Members

Would you guys rec. serrated or no?

serrated tends to stay sharp longer and can still cut better when it starts to get dull than a straight blade does. and it's great for ripping through a lot of material quickly. but it's much more difficult to sharpen and pretty much requires that you get a knife sharpener made for serrated knives. i had a spyderco serrated knife for years and it served me really well. i moved on to a benchmade straight blade for several reasons. some tasks, such as more delicate whittling and carving, cleaning and skinning animals and fish, and a few other things do better with a straight blade. and it's just so much easier to keep sharp.

whatever you do, don't get one of the knives that's half straight and half serrated. that's the ultimate pain in the ass for sharpening.

• Members

serrated tends to stay sharp longer and can still cut better when it starts to get dull than a straight blade does. and it's great for ripping through a lot of material quickly. but it's much more difficult to sharpen and pretty much requires that you get a knife sharpener made for serrated knives. i had a spyderco serrated knife for years and it served me really well. i moved on to a benchmade straight blade for several reasons. some tasks, such as more delicate whittling and carving, cleaning and skinning animals and fish, and a few other things do better with a straight blade. and it's just so much easier to keep sharp.

whatever you do, don't get one of the knives that's half straight and half serrated. that's the ultimate pain in the ass for sharpening.

Okay, thats what I was looking at. Will stay away from that.

Archived