OT: Conky - Other outdoors guys...

Ryan.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Looking for an all around good knife for camping/backpacking/fishing... anything you might suggest?

First overnight backpacking trip to Yosemite this year, stoked for it. Any other tools/toys to bring along? Already got bear kegs and backpacks and all that... what are some of the things you wish you had or had and loved?

Thanks
:wave:

I wanna go!!!

I REALLY miss Yosemite.

I graduated from Mariposa County High School, about 40 miles south of Yosemite.

Our Junior/Senior prom (small school) was held at The Ahwahnee Hotel.

Used to go swimming at Briceburg during the summer.

I am sooo jealous of you right now.

• Members

I wanna go!!!

I REALLY miss Yosemite.

I graduated from Mariposa County High School, about 40 miles south of Yosemite.

Our Junior/Senior prom (small school) was held at The Ahwahnee Hotel.

Used to go swimming at Briceburg during the summer.

I am sooo jealous of you right now.

Come on down! I'm stoked. Never backpacked in Yosemite before. :D

• Members

i have a simple benchmade folding knife that i use for everything. they make fantastic knives. not the cheapest, but they're really good. i also make heavy use of a leatherman multi tool. if you're just going to get one thing, i recommend that and you'll thank me for it. particularly for fishing being as it has scissors and pliers on it.

always bring extra rope. 50 ft of parachute cord is compact and can be very handy. a compass that you know how to use and a good map. an extra light source and extra batteries. extra fire source. a whistle. a small backpacking shovel or trowel so that you can exercise proper {censored}ting in the woods technique and not just leave {censored} and toilet paper all over the place (i'm amazed at how much i see this).

when making your first aid kit, keep in mind that although you want a kit that can treat all kinds of things, blisters and small foot problems are the most common use of a backpacking first aid kit, and twisted or injured ankles and knees are far more common than serious cuts or burns or gunshot wounds or whatever. bring some ace bandages and possibly a knee brace, not just band aids and gauze.

Benchmade 551 here for my job/EDC. Leatherman wave goes hiking. Picking up a kukri pretty soon for a replacement for carrying a hatchet as a camp tool. I had the opportunity to use one awhile back and have lusted after one since. Really awesome tools.

• Members

If you're unsure, pick up a Mora Clipper. Cheap as chips, one of the best regarded knives out there. A lot of people use them out of choice.

But in general, go for a fixed blade, full tang, 3-4mm blade with a scandi edge. Carbon steel, unless it's a laminate designed particularly for bushcraft. (eg. Helle, Enzo, etc)

Fixed blade is preferable to folding unless you really need it to be compact. Much more reliable if you need to baton, for example. 3-4 mm is a good all-round thickness; enough for fine slicing but also heavier splitting. Carbon steel sharpens nicely, and a scandi edge is good in use and in sharpening.

At the moment I personally for my carving and general needs (not a lot currently) use an Opinel 8, which I've owned since I was 13 or so, but the locking mechanism is not very good. I have cut myself many times from it closing on me. I used to use a Leatherman PST, which I loved, but it was stolen from me. I will be adding a new fixed blade at some point.

• Members

Would you guys rec. serrated or no?

No, I would not. Useless for so many things, and difficult to sharpen. If you want to slice up rope, fine, but otherwise, I wouldn't bother. Get a sawback if you must have it on your knife. Even better, get a folding saw.

• Members

For outdoorsy stuff I carry my old Case fixed blade. I'm not sure how old the knife is, I've had it for probably 17 years. It was my dad's before then. It's still sharp as {censored}. The handle and sheath have some serious relic'ing mojo going on.

859a9419.jpg

For an everyday knife I carry a Gerber Kiowa... it's half serrated but I've never needed to sharpen it. If I used it a lot I'd use a regular blade but the serrated section comes in handing for opening stubborn packages and whatnot. I'm a big fan of the tanto blade on this style of knife.

gb1405.jpg

If I'm going to a wedding or nice dinner I carry a Boker beer barrel stockman. The salvaged beer barrel handles bring some serious mojo dudes.

BK117474BBL.jpg

• Members

Well, the difference may be in hiking long distances rather than short day hikes or overnighters.
:idk:

True to a certain extent, but its sort of "cool" nowdays to carry the smallest knife possible because some people believe that means you are more of a woodsman. In fact im sure there are people who would be happy to run off in the woods with a thumbtack and a loincloth to make themselves more "cool".

IMHO a knife doesnt really weigh all that much, my Golok is 20 inches overall with a 14" blade made out of distal tapered 1/4 steel and i think it weighs in the vicinity of 2lbs. 2lbs isnt all that much especially if its the tool you need, id rather have too big of a blade and use it lightly than too small of a blade and struggle/destroy it.

Plus lets be honest here, its not like you are running full bore and covering 80 miles a day, the extra 2Lbs means that you might be moving a bit slower and taking more breaks than thumbtack/loincloth man.

• Members

If you get a decent knife, you can just send it in for free sharpenings. I've got a Kershaw and a Benchmade with half serrated blades and each company gladly does free sharpenings/maintenance.

Screw doing it yourself.

It is very sad that you never learned how to sharpen a knife and i would not recommend anyone following that path. For god sakes they make electric sharpeners and even manual sharpeners that require all of 15 seconds and the ability to hold a knife without dropping it for that length of time.

Picking up a kukri pretty soon for a replacement for carrying a hatchet as a camp tool. I had the opportunity to use one awhile back and have lusted after one since. Really awesome tools.

Kukri's are awesome, what kind are you looking at in particular?

• Members

True to a certain extent, but its sort of "cool" nowdays to carry the smallest knife possible because some people believe that means you are more of a woodsman. In fact im sure there are people who would be happy to run off in the woods with a thumbtack and a loincloth to make themselves more "cool".

IMHO a knife doesnt really weigh all that much, my Golok is 20 inches overall with a 14" blade made out of distal tapered 1/4 steel and i think it weighs in the vicinity of 2lbs. 2lbs isnt all that much especially if its the tool you need, id rather have too big of a blade and use it lightly than too small of a blade and struggle/destroy it.

Plus lets be honest here, its not like you are running full bore and covering 80 miles a day, the extra 2Lbs means that you might be moving a bit slower and taking more breaks than thumbtack/loincloth man.

i'm certainly no thumbtack advocate, and a good sheath knife is awesome, but when i'm backpacking two pounds counts as a pretty big item, and one i would cut down on if i could. i've carried bigger knives, and probably will again. but i've never been on a backpacking trip where i thought my four inch benchmade folding knife wasn't enough. and it weighs a couple of ounces.

• Members

It is very sad that you never learned how to sharpen a knife and i would not recommend anyone following that path. For god sakes they make electric sharpeners and even manual sharpeners that require all of 15 seconds and the ability to hold a knife without dropping it for that length of time.

Oh, it's so {censored}ing sad that I have to be without a knife for a week every 5 years so I can have it professionally sharpened and maintained for free.

So sad. Life is HARD. Everyone should pity me and my knife woes.

• Members

Oh, it's so {censored}ing sad that I have to be without a knife for a week every
5 years
so I can have it professionally sharpened and maintained for free.

So sad. Life is HARD. Everyone should pity me and my knife woes.

wow. i have to sharpen my knives every couple of months. at least the one i carry regularly. 5 years would be unheard of. i don't begrudge you for sending your knife in, but sharpening my knives is something i enjoy and something i've always thought of as a skill that is valuable and important as a knife owner. i've done woodworking projects involving my pocket knife, such as making a bow, that required sharpening it 2 to 4 times a day for 5 days or so. if i didn't know how to sharpen a knife i couldn't have done that.

• Members

Yeah, I don't make bows.

I cut packages open and threaten to stab unruly hobos as I walk home pretty much every weekend night. That's it.

I don't think of myself as a knife owner that needs valuable skills related to my knife. It's a chunk of metal that I use and occasionally need fixed in order for it to work right. That's all.

WOW.

Archived