ambient

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was
really
tasty. I doubt I'd do it again though.

But I'm the kinda guy that would try any food once, or go to North Korea if I had the opportunity.

My only issue is if it's near extinction don't kill it, I am really glad that some dude said "hey lets not kill all the bison so people in the future could eat them too", but I hate those {censored}ers who said "hey lets kill all the dodos, because they taste too good, and let's not save any for those dicks in the future". I honestly don't remember where those whales stand in that spectrum, but I would form my opinion accordingly.

Oh also: http://www.koryogroup.com/

• Members

I also tried it once, I guess is something you have to do if you live over here. It was good but no more good than a beef steak, that's for sure.

I would not eat it again, don't want to be part of their extinction. But I find it funny how some people see it as a moral issue, specially Aussies and NZs, but they are perfectly fine about slaughtering millions of cows everyday

• Members

whaling's all {censored}ed up, and often japanese whalers kill all kinds of {censored} and claim it's minke to stay out of trouble. i remember reading an article about someone went into some japanese markets and bought various whale meats and then tested their dna to see what kinds of whale it was. there was a surprising amount of it that was from blue whales and other endangered whales, but not being sold as such. even without that, industrial whaling is all {censored}ed up. that being said, if someone put whale in front of me and it was going to get thrown away otherwise, i would give it a whirl. i've eaten a few animals that i wouldn't normally be into eating in circumstances where i felt okay about it. i'm glad i got a chance to try them and some of them were delicious, but i wouldn't go try and eat more. some of them weren't so appetizing too.

I wouldn't have as much of an issue with it if they were abundant and not endangered and threatened. People have to eat, and while a case can be made for the virtues of vegetarianism, people have been eating tasty animals (according to a friend, that's what PETA really stands for - people eating tasty animals :eek:;) ) for thousands of years, and the anthropologists would probably tell you that our brains would have never developed to the point that they have if we had remained strictly herbivores.

Yes, there's the issue of their intelligence, but I must admit, I'd be a hypocrite if I condemned or criticized someone over that - I eat way too much bacon to pull that off with a straight face, and pigs are plenty smart. Maybe I should just stick to chickens - they're pretty dumb... :idk:

To me, since whales are threatened animals, they're off-limits. I can't condone the hunting of them, and having been in the water and aboard ship and seen them at close range, I respect the majesty of them. They're amazing animals. Unless I was from a population with a tradition of hunting them for our very existence, I wouldn't want to harm one. Then again, I feel that way about most animals - I don't hunt for sport. If I shoot something, it's not going to go to waste - it will be eaten. Even though there are bald eagles in the nearby mountains that would probably make a tasty meal, I'm not going to go shoot them. First of all, it's illegal. Secondly, there's no need to - there are plenty of other, non-endangered animals you can harvest instead.

Harvesting whales under the present conditions just doesn't seem like a very good idea.

American hunters support conservation with every hunting license and stamp they purchase. Most of us realize that only through conservation of the wetlands, deserts and forests can suitable habitat be maintained to support the animals we hunt, and we also understand that indiscriminate and unregulated harvesting can lead to extinctions, which obviously is bad in terms of the long-term future of hunting.

IMHO, it would be nice if we, as a world, took a similar approach to protecting and managing the resources of the seas. Sustainability is the key. The problem is, when there is big demand for something, someone will try to fill it. Especially if there's big bucks to be made, and conservation be damned. :(

As far as you eating the whale meat, that's your decision, and like I said - I can't criticize you over it. Had you not eaten it, someone else probably would have, or it would have gone to waste - which would be the worst possible outcome IMHO. YMMV.

• Members
:rolleyes:

My gut instinct is that whaling (or at least what Japan does) is not sustainable. But neither is the majority of the fishing that takes place in this wold, especially from Japan. Should we stop eating tuna?

The other thing is that whales are likely pretty intelligent, therefore is it somehow
worse
to eat/kill whale than the equivilant biomass in cows, pigs or some other reasonably conscious creature?

Is it really much more brutal than what takes place in the abattoirs?

Where and how is the line drawn and how?

I've always been anti-whaling, but this came as part of a set - we didn't realise until it was brought out - so it was either eat it or throw it away. I figured this was a opportunity to try and help figure out if what I believe is because it's right, or simply cultural conditioning from the country I grew up in.

I am not oppose to eating tuna. I think that we should cut down on the amount we eat as Americans. We probably throw out more tuna then actually gets eaten. We are a product and detrimine of our own gluttony.

• Members

Australia and New Zealand are both on the migration routes from the Antarctic, and it was these nations that initially alerted the world to the dwindling numbers using the routes. Pilot, Minke, Humpback & Sperm whales all traverse the east coast of Australia and a lucrative 'whale-watching' tourist industry has sprung up owing to the numbers from around the world who wish to view these animals.

Mind you, if it was served up in front of me, it's already dead and there's not much I could do about it. Sure, I could throw a hissy fit and the meat would go in the bin, but that would be a waste, so, bon apetite.

Kangaroo is tough and it stinks when fresh.

• Members
Slides on the grey scale.

Anyone who knows their fallacies will see the failure of arguing that its ok to eat whale.

It seems that arguing that it's not ok to eat whale, yet it's ok to eat other animals isn't far from that either. ;)

• Members

Not the most logically consistent;

But I think that it is just sad that one of the last truly wild, undomesticated, intelligent, rare (if not endangered), and majestic creatures in the world could end up on a plate treated like so much hamburger.

I would never eat it.

Paying for it at a restaurant only increases the demand for it.

SB

Archived