OT: So I ate some whale the other day

ambient

• Members

At a Japanese BBQ (yakiniku) place, it was surprisingly good.

DSC_0349.jpg?t=1327546107

DSC_0351.jpg?t=1327546045

I come from New Zealand where whaling is often considered wrong on both environmental and moral grounds. I figured I should try it at least once as it is often considered to be a cultural thing by those that are pro-whaling.

What do you think?

Is it wrong and why?

Would you eat whale given the chance?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What's the point of hunting animals that commit suicide regularly (and right on the beach where you don't need to fish to boot)?

if you're talking about orcas aka killer whales then you should know they aren't whales, but a type of dolphin and get their name because they kill whales along with other dolphins and seals.

• Members

:rolleyes:

My gut instinct is that whaling (or at least what Japan does) is not sustainable. But neither is the majority of the fishing that takes place in this wold, especially from Japan. Should we stop eating tuna?

The other thing is that whales are likely pretty intelligent, therefore is it somehow worse to eat/kill whale than the equivilant biomass in cows, pigs or some other reasonably conscious creature?

Is it really much more brutal than what takes place in the abattoirs?

Where and how is the line drawn and how?

I've always been anti-whaling, but this came as part of a set - we didn't realise until it was brought out - so it was either eat it or throw it away. I figured this was a opportunity to try and help figure out if what I believe is because it's right, or simply cultural conditioning from the country I grew up in.

• Members

if you're talking about orcas aka killer whales then you should know they aren't whales, but a type of dolphin and get their name because they kill whales along with other dolphins and seals.

Not only orcas beach themselves. Pilot whales seem to be the most common in NZ for that as they travel in pretty large pods, but you occasionally get the odd sperm or humpback whale.

• Members

I've had kangaroo. You guys need to go to Boca Fiesta in Gainesville. Against Me!'s old drummer owns it and they specialize in fusion mexican food with odd meats. Buffalo, kangaroo, maybe even human {censored} if I know what I'm eating. Then again the dude who owns the place is a freegan, meaning he satisfies his own diet via dumpster diving and "urban scavenging" so god only knows how sanitary his restraunt is, but damn it's delicious.

• Members

I've had kangaroo. You guys need to go to Boca Fiesta in Gainesville. Against Me!'s old drummer owns it and they specialize in fusion mexican food with odd meats. Buffalo, kangaroo, maybe even human {censored} if I know what I'm eating. Then again the dude who owns the place is a freegan, meaning he satisfies his own diet via dumpster diving and "urban scavenging" so god only knows how sanitary his restraunt is, but damn it's delicious.

kangaroo can be very tastey

• Members

I figure if I can get sustenance without killing fellow animals, then why not?

However, I'd never hold other people to my "morals."

Caulk Rocket brings up a good point, too.

What did it taste like?

That's why I became a vegetarian. (But I'm not one of the militant ones).

You wanna eat animal flesh, go right ahead. Doesn't bother me.

But maybe avoid "controversial" meats ?

• Members

If they weren't endangered, I'd be totally OK with eating whale.

Nothing to do with animal intelligence. Pigs are pretty intelligent (you can train them to do more stuff than dogs) but I still love my carnitas chile verde.

From what I can tell on wikipedia etc;

The Japanese primarily hunt minke whales along with a smaller proportion of sperm whales.

I'm not sure if either of those are considered 'endangered' - blue whales are, but afaik they aren't hunted.

Even humpback whales are said to be of 'least concern' on the IUCN Red List of endangered species. I don't think they're hunted either.

• Members

Not only orcas beach themselves. Pilot whales seem to be the most common in NZ for that as they travel in pretty large pods, but you occasionally get the odd sperm or humpback whale.

never said they were the only ones. I'm aware of actual whales beaching themselves, I'm a big animal nut. When someone says beach whale though orcas come to mind because tv shows a pod of them beaching themselves more often. Honestly I don't know if it was right or wrong in terms of eating them for nourishment, but considering whales are having a hard enough time keeping their numbers up so their genetic pool stays diversified, I look down on the killing of whales.

• Members

From what I can tell on wikipedia etc;

The Japanese primarily hunt minke whales along with a smaller proportion of sperm whales.

I'm not sure if either of those are considered 'endangered' - blue whales are, but afaik they aren't hunted.

Even humpback whales are said to be of 'least concern' on the IUCN Red List of endangered species. I don't think they're hunted either.

It says minkes are of least concern & sperm whales are vulnerable. So I guess I could eat Minkle. You'd think since they filter feed stuff near the bottom of the food chain, there'd be a lot less mercury content then tuna.

Although with anything ocean caught, there's concerns over the way it's done. Do they use nets or do they still harpoon them?

Archived