Speaking of Amazing Girlfriends...

Ryan.

• Members

GO TO LAW SCHOOL. You will never regret it. It's tough, but It's a lifetime employment guarantee too. Law practice has been largely unaffected by the recession. Lawyers just changed from putting together real estate deals to working out their clients bankruptcies with their lenders.

The three years are going to go by anyway. It's up to you whether you will be an attorney at the end. The two things are not mutually exclusive. A close long time friend of mine financed his way through law school playing in a band. Not a typical story, admittedly anecdotal, but illustrative at least.

I have several law school mates that are now very prominent music attorneys. They kept playing, and now are cork sniffers supreme. But, one of them attending most of ZZ Tops recent recording sessions too, and both of them were near front row at the Grammys. Because of their law degrees and where those degrees got them.

Just my $.02

Entertainment law is the only thing i'd be interested in. Did they get a focused degree in entertainment law? Or did they just end up with a firm that did and worked their way up?

Also, what schools would be best for EL? I did a vauge search a few months back and couldn't find any school that has a specific course design for Entertainment.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sort of both. We all went to USC Law School, where they have a very strong entertainment law faculty and several focused classes. Most of them then went to very prominent entertainment firms in Los Angeles. One of them stayed and is now a senior partner, the other left to start a now very thriving music, TV and film practice. New York is equally prominent for music, less so for other media. But, you can drop a shingle anywhere there are musicians and do very well. Even the most cynical musician will tell you that a good lawyer is worth his weight gold.

• Members

Congratz Ryan :wave:

Welcome to the DSLR club.

My Sigma 50-200 f/4-5.6 came in the mail this morning, can't wait to take it out :thu:

Now I'm looking for my next lens, a 35 f/1.8 - this lens gas is truly a killer but this will be my last for a while, those two plus the 50 f/1.8 I already have will be a versatile enough kit for what I use it for. That is until I persuade myself I really need something more wide-angle :D

• Members

Chris, how's that little camera you bought off ebay working out? I almost snagged one a few weeks back...

It needs the light seals replaced but I thought the best way to see how bad it really was is to run a roll of film through it. I went out with it yesterday and took half a roll before the sun went in. It's great having a camera that will fit in a pocket instead of hauling a camera bag with me :D

• Members
It needs the light seals replaced but I thought the best way to see how bad it really was is to run a roll of film through it. I went out with it yesterday and took half a roll before the sun went in. It's great having a camera that will fit in a pocket instead of hauling a camera bag with me
:D

Yea thats what I wanted to get one for... the missus lent me her Nikon, but I just wanted something small... When you develop the prints scan some in so I can have a looky please!

• Members

congrats, there a lot of people into cameras here...

How else would they take all those awesome photos of their gear they barely use?

Although not having a camera means not having pics of my gear for sale which seriously hurts my spam thread posts. Nobody wants to buy if you don't have pics it seems.

• Members

GO TO LAW SCHOOL. You will never regret it. It's tough, but It's a lifetime employment guarantee too.
Law practice has been largely unaffected by the recession

Not sure how much the people on Law Review would agree with this statement at my school (University of Pittsburgh). I guess if you mean lawyers who had steady jobs before the recession hit, then it probably applies.

Larry probably has a more optimistic view of Entertainment Law but my impression is, a lot of it really hinges on where you go to school and what connections you make. I know that this is generally true of most jobs, but I find it to be even more relevant in this area.

Law School can definitely be very rewarding but I would not pursue it right now if you have interest ONLY in EL.

Archived