Is Dumble still alive?

woolyh

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A little known fact about Dumble: He selects components by taste. This process is much like a wine tasting. Howard will place a component in his mouth, swish it around and spit it back out describing its various tonal/gastronomic qualities. However, once he's tasted a resistor that's not up to his standards he figures nobody else is going to want it anymore and decides to simply eat it.

Only a few components out of every hundred make it into the amplifier. These will generally taste of oak with a hint of baby diaper. This creates a brown sound.

• Members

A little known fact about Dumble: He selects components by taste. This process is much like a wine tasting. Howard will place a component in his mouth, swish it around and spit it back out describing its various tonal/gastronomic qualities. However, once he's tasted a resistor that's not up to his standards he figures nobody else is going to want it anymore and decides to simply eat it.

Only a few components out of every hundred make it into the amplifier. These will generally taste of oak with a hint of baby diaper. This creates a brown sound.

I've heard that the glue he uses to make his cabinets is made exclusively from his own cum. This is why it takes many months for him to make an amp, one would think that with the advent of interwebz pr0n, his "output" would grow so to speak but Howard has been unable to reach his own cock for decades now.

• 8 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 7/8/2020 at 3:10 PM, Samperson said:

You haters should knock it off with trash talking one of the greatest designers of all time. If you knew 1/10th of what howard dumble knows you'd keep your big yappers shut.

well, you are 8 years admonishing these hooligans...and yes, Howard Dumble made amps that no one can beat, he is a legend, as are his amps.:thu:

• Members
16 hours ago, daddymack said:

well, you are 8 years admonishing these hooligans...and yes, Howard Dumble made amps that no one can beat, he is a legend, as are his amps.:thu:

It's funny how this old threads pop up every now and them.

I'm not sure how old Mr. Dumble is these days, but I hear he still build about 5 amps a year. The Special Over Drives are probably all snagged up, by famous folks and collectors.  hey were fetching like 100 grand plus for the Special Over Drive. Dumble will repair any amp he has made for free, as long as he lives and is able. 

I saw Robben Ford maybe 10 years ago and he wasn't using his Dumble amp. That doesn't mean he doesn't take out his Dumble(s) amp for other larger gigs.

They seems very chimey like a old Vox, but are based around a Fender Bassman piggy back head. 

More fragile harmonic Dumble say can survive in a vacuum tube, but not in a crystal latices in transistor.

I still see some of his modded Fender amps selling for 30k.

I believe Robben is living in Nashville these days and read he played on  Daniel Donato's album. Daniel is a pretty fine tasty picker himself.

• Moderators

I hear less than that, maybe 2 or 3 a year, now, and he no longer goes by Howard [I forgot about that...he changed his first name to 'Alex']. To the best of my knowledge he is still doing refurbs and repairs for free, even if you are not the original owner, but a new amp from him runs in the 6 figures....and he is booked out several years. An old friend [now deceased] had one of his early modded Fenders from the late 70s...great amp. Not sure what happened to that amp after he passed, but I'm sure he still had it to the day he died, but he didn't gig it anymore, just for recording. I hope his wife knew what it was, because from the front, it just looked like an old Tweed Fender Deluxe...but it sounded like heaven 😉

Dumble was a legend here [L.A.] in the late 70s, when he was producing the modded Fenders, similar to what Randall Smith was doing, 'boogie-izing' old Fenders.  I guess David Lindley and Jackson Browne were close friends of Dumble, because I had seen both using the 'Overdrive Specials' live long before the word was out on the Dumble 'magic'.

DOD_150_Front.jpg

There is no one 'standard' of any of his amps, apparently,  as he builds to suit the buyer, so some OD specials are 50W, 100W. or switchable, and some are EL34, some are 6L6 powered, some are the black look pictured above, some are tweed cased....

• Members

I have owned a much of Mesa amps over the years.

Started with a DC5 w/ no graphic eq

I also had a Mes Trem-o-verb 1x12 combo. It was an amazing amp. It also weighed in a 98 lbs. It's a Fender Twin Reverb killer, and more

I  also had a Maverick 2x12, I figured I might like some around the house that was kind of Class A vox-like. It sounded more like a Early Fender Brownie to me.

I looked at the Marks a zillion times and they were so complicated, sharing some tone controls. The shop told me I needed to play with the thing to find my sounds. I passed and bought a 1x12 Nomad. That am,p I still have . It's not light but I can at least pick it up. It's a 3 channel amp. It was not popular like the Mark 4's, and for a few hundred more most folks opted for a Mark 4 over the Nomad.

I sold the T Verb and funded a 1x12 Dr Z maz 18  combo with reverb and the eq bypass mod.  I like that amp a lot.

I sold a lot of amps over the decades. Most were just to big, to heavy. I have a bunch of grab and goes, of the rack amps too.

I did some electric guitar work for a buddy of mine last week. I used a Gibson Goldtone Les Paul Jr 5 watter with an 8" speaker I bought new for like 250 bucks.

eeyxvc0jrkkezbarpxdv.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/1250418-gibson-ga-5-les-paul-jr-reissue-amp-handwired-by-mojotone

These little gems were made by Mojotone for Gibson from around 2002-2006. This is one of the later ones from 2006. Handwired, turret board construction with high quality components including Heyboyer iron and a polished stainless steel chassis. IIRC, it uses a variation of the Fender Champ 5F1 circuit, runing at 5W and using a EL84 and a single 12AX7. I assume it's SS rectified, since there is no rectifier tube.

Archived