I met a Nazi yesterday.

Ryan.

• Members

The people I really have a hatred for are the people like certain POS mods here on HC who like to post dressed up like Hitler or the Neo-Nazi young idiots. It's very disturbing to think that mindset is still around these days. I honestly feel sorry for those clowns.

It's just a shadow on his upper lip.

bannt.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i don't want to derail the thread but why do we always talk about democracy and freedom when we live in a police state?

Look at Ozzie Guillen, look at what is happening to him for talking about Fidel.

WTF?

• Members

i don't want to derail the thread but why do we always talk about democracy and freedom when we live in a police state?

Look at Ozzie Guillen, look at what is happening to him for talking about Fidel.

WTF?

I dunno. I just cannot fathom why The FLORIDA Marlins would suspend him for making comments that seemed to support a dictator, for whom many Cuban residents of Florida, and supporters of the baseball team, might find misguided. Maybe.

• Members

I dunno. I just cannot fathom why The
FLORIDA
Marlins would suspend him for making comments that seemed to support a dictator, for whom many Cuban residents of Florida, and supporters of the baseball team, might find misguided. Maybe.

Dictator to some and savior to others.

It is a matter of where you look at it from.

An embargo since 1962?????

To a whole country????

What about it's people????

Who is worst????

• Members

Pretty disrespectful to call him a Nazi unless that's how he identifies himself. Even if he were a member of the Nazi party during the war it's unlikely he stills holds those values today.

Most of the Wehrmacht were just regular soldiers doing their job. They didn't necessarily believe in the ideals of Hitler. Even members of the Nazi party itself weren't always monsters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rabe). I'm not excusing the actions of anyone but politics in Germany after WWI were complicated and didn't always make sense.

• Members

Pretty disrespectful to call him a Nazi unless that's how he identifies himself. Even if he were a member of the Nazi party during the war it's unlikely he stills holds those values today.

Most of the Wehrmacht were just regular soldiers doing their job.
They didn't necessarily believe in the ideals of Hitler. Even members of the Nazi party itself weren't always monsters (
). I'm not excusing the actions of anyone but politics in Germany after WWI were complicated and didn't always make sense.

Yeah, naturally. That doesn't excuse them of their moral responsibility. You make choices in life and you deal with the consequences of those choices. Doing the right thing isn't always easy. I'd rather have been shot than to join the SS.

• Members

Yeah, naturally. That doesn't excuse them of their moral responsibility. You make choices in life and you deal with the consequences of those choices. Doing the right thing isn't always easy. I'd rather have been shot than to join the SS.

thing is, similar to what Milgram found: everyone says this, few people follow through

• Members

Would you have gone to Vietnam if drafted? What about if they draft you to fight Iran or North Korea?

• Members

Vietnam no. I'd have refused to go and accepted prison.

Iran? I don't know, depends on why we're at war with them. If I were drafted, and I thought it was another Iraq, I'd refuse to go and accept prison.

North Korea? Yeah, I'd go.

Syria? Yeah, I'd go.

Sudan? Yeah, I'd go.

Nazis pt. 2? You know it.

Alien invaders? {censored} just got real.

I'm not excited by the prospect of being drafted, but I signed up with selective serivce when I was 18 and I take that seriously...but not as seriously as I take being a moral person. I'd still respect the oath by accepting punishment for breaking it (rather than running to Canada or being shot), but I'm not willing to fight in an unjust war. I hope I never have to make that choice, but I know how I'd make it. 100%.

• Members

Iran? I don't know, depends on why we're at war with them. If I were drafted, and I thought it was another Iraq, I'd refuse to go and accept prison.

Syria? Yeah, I'd go.

Sudan? Yeah, I'd go.

I'm not excited by the prospect of being drafted, but I signed up with selective serivce when I was 18 and I take that seriously...but not as seriously as I take being a moral person. I'd still respect the oath by accepting punishment for breaking it (rather than running to Canada or being shot), but I'm not willing to fight in an unjust war. I hope I never have to make that choice, but I know how I'd make it. 100%.

Cool

• Members

The SS were considered a branch of the Wehrmacht but the soldiers of the Wehrmacht weren't SS. I agree with you that soldiers should practice moral responsibility and there are plenty of cases where Wehrmacht, and even Nazi, soldiers showed compassion and restraint towards the so-called enemy. By the same token, some of the worst atrocities committed against regular citizens were committed against the Germans directly following the fall of Berlin when the Soviets (Allies) pretty much ran wild. To put it mildly, there were good and bad people on both sides. No one, outside of fringe groups, will claim the Axis were in the right but I think it's pretty callous to immediately dismiss the life experience of a veteran just because he was on the losing side.

• Members

I realize you're ex-miltiary and think that's all a bunch of {censored}; that the souldiers motivations and involvement in war are complex. Doesn't change anything for me. I know what I'm about.

It was your judgemental tone towards conscripted soliders that bothered me. I enlisted freely, and currently am re-enlisting in the reserves as we speak, so I can't begin to understand how it must feel to be drafted or to do compulsory service against your will. I have the upmost respect for those who were drafted and served their nations calling. No matter what side they are. I also respect all fellow soliders regardless of nation and expect them to respect me, even in a time of war.

Anyways off my soap box.

• Members

Syria? Yeah, I'd go.

Sudan? Yeah, I'd go.

Why "yes" to N Korea, Syria & Sudan, but "no" to Vietnam & Iran?

Archived