Anyone else notice the Vox V847 Wah sucks tone like crazy?

• Members

Been playing my Vox Wah and TS9 exclusively the last few days and I have noticed it more and more that the Wah is seriously changing the tone of my guitar. Anyone else have this experience?

It's the older Vox Wah from the late 90s without the AC adaptor. Maybe the battery is dying? or does it really just suck out tone like crazy?

• Members

I assume you mean when it's in your signal chain but turned *off*, right? Crybaby wahs are notorious for their crappy tone-sucky bypass circuit, and AFAIK the guts of the V847 aren't that dissimilar to the Crybaby. I'm pretty sure a dying battery wouldn't affect how your guitar sounds when the pedal's bypassed.

If you're competent with a soldering iron I believe it's a fairly simple mod to change from the buffered bypass circuit to true bypass.

• Members

you know why they do this??

....it's kind of on purpose so that when you activate the wah you don't get a volume drop, that's the only problem with making them true bypass, the bypassed signal becomes much better than with the wah activated...... there are other mods you can do to boost the volume a little after TBing though which helps, although the downside of that is it makes the pedal a bit noisier (hiss)

• Members

you know why they do this??

....it's kind of on purpose so that when you activate the wah you don't get a volume drop, that's the only problem with making them true bypass, the bypassed signal becomes much better than with the wah activated...... there are other mods you can do to boost the volume a little after TBing though which helps, although the downside of that is it makes the pedal a bit noisier (hiss)

that explains the trouble i had with boutique wahs, major volume boost.

• Members

Ive noticed they come up for sale alot as "broken" or "not working" . I bought a supposed non working V847 & there was nothing wrong with it. I gutted it & installed a Roger Mayer "Red Lion" kit in it. It's not true bypass, but has a buffer in it & isnt necessary.

I still like my 70's Vox King Wah better. It's a more "subtle" / "Hendrix - like" wah. Not over vocal & the tone suck isnt so bad (with my set up)

Archived