Current EHX Big Muff's vs boutique clones

scolfax

• Members

I'm a big Gilmour fan, and I've never owned a BM before.

Has anyone done any comparisons between the modern EHX Big Muff's (Little BM, Tone Wicker, etc...) vs the boutiques by Stomp Under Foot and Wren and Cuff? Opinions?

Guess I should include the Swollen Pickle in this hunt.

• Members

The world of Big Muff versions is vast.

I have 3 Pis that I'm quite fond of:

1. NYC RI Big Muff Pi (late 90s / early 2000s, not sure exactly) modded by RonSound to Classic specs (triangle)

2. Tone Wicker

3. Deluxe Big Muff Pi (version with the series/parallel switch, which is IMO the only version of the DBMP to use. The blend switch version is sort of useless to me).

• Members

I didnt like the standard new Big Muff myself, in fact in a head to haed competition the Behr VD-1 copy beat it tonewise for me although im sure its far better made.

The Swollen Pickle doesnt really sound like a new Big Muff at all its like comparing apples to.......pickles.

• Members

well considering muff variants:

the BYOC large beaver is pretty good. can be built to Triangle or Ram's head specs

i really like the Skreddy Lunar Module Deluxe. works very well from some light overdrive to all out fuzzy goodness

also my favorite muff variant right now is Blackout Effectors Musket. based on a soviet green muff i believe

all 3 can cop gilmour tones no problem

• Members

The early russian muffs have their own growl (different range of mid scoop, every EHX version has a slightly different EQ curve). I'd say take a good long time and look at kitrae's site to really find out what the differences are.

I've never played a boutique muff so I'll stay away from that.

P.S. I've never played a muff that I liked better than my Ronsound Hairpie Classic

• Members

My opinion on all the muffs I've owned

Little Big Muff : oddly harsh sounding

Sovtek Green Muff : big dark and fat. my favorite. even sounds cool with the gain rolled back. terrible bypass.

Made by Mike IC Muff : has a pretty hard, strong sound. rough and aggressive in a good way. the tone bypass is awesome and pretty much the only way I ever play it. stacks really well with overdrives (rat, ts/sd-1).

EQD Hoof (3 knob version) : older 3 knob only version. when compared directly with my sovtek green muff, it's very close in sound. like, really close. it's a tiny bit tighter (the sovtek is slightly fuzzier), but it could totally replace my sovtek if needed.

• Members

I've owned the first two and played the other:

Early-late 2000s black Russian big muff - had a very distinct, mellower sound than other muffs, construction was poop, tone knob and foot switch broke, but I would pay to get it fixed as I love the sound.

Way Huge Swollen Pickle - Russian x10. Has a massive amount of gain, a massive amount of volume, pretty much a massive amount of everything, including tone variations. Has way more huge bass than any fuzz I've played, where the black Russian was tight enough to handle some palm muting. Perfect for crafting the sound to your liking, and can easily get right into Gilmour territory.

Big Muff Pi USA (recent) - muddy and ugly. I guess you can creamy lead tones but that's all I was able to get out of it.

• Members

I'm a big Gilmour fan, and I've never owned a BM before.

Has anyone done any comparisons between the modern EHX Big Muff's (Little BM, Tone Wicker, etc...) vs the boutiques by Stomp Under Foot and Wren and Cuff? Opinions?

Guess I should include the Swollen Pickle in this hunt.

my "muff" spread...

muffs.jpg

[video=youtube;Bh76HN1Ov7E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh76HN1Ov7E

i had the SP too. liked it but way too many knobs for my liking.

• Members

Big Muff Pi USA (recent) - muddy and ugly.

+1 to the current NYC BMP. I have an older version (2000/2001) with the 2N5088 transistors which sound a lot better than trannies used in the current offering.

• Members

I've got my eye on the Blakemore Effects fuzz made by our fellow forumite, Blake. It is a pretty wicked fuzz and the mid knob is super cool. Burgs has a pretty good demo of it.

[video=youtube;uZCORJgoFt4]

The only reason I don't have one right now is because my job doesn't pay during the month of August. :cry:

• Members

I got the Blackout Effectors musket based on the review from Gilmourish.com. He does a great job of coping Gilmour's tone. He also gives you the settings. The musket also has a wide range of tones so it is not just a one trick pony. Mine will be on my board for a long time.

• Members

of the current ehx MUffs I would get a bass muff

of the current dirt called muff I woudl get the germ 4 and run the overdrive like a distortion, and the distortion side like a splatty broken low bias and voltage fuzz

in my sig there is a green muff with a toen bypass mode, so best of 90s and 70s in one box, plus clean blend... spam over.

• Members

I got the Blackout Effectors musket based on the review from Gilmourish.com. He does a great job of coping Gilmour's tone. He also gives you the settings. The musket also has a wide range of tones so it is not just a one trick pony. Mine will be on my board for a long time.

I second this. For Gimour tones, the Musket is great. Very versatile too!

• Members

The best Muff's I've tried have been Blakemore's Deus Ex (IC Muff) and a Violet Muff built by Melx from the GGG kit.

I had a Ronsound...Hairpie (I think that's the one) once, and sold it to some guy in a local Pink Floyd tribute band, and he said it was the best he's tried. I found it fairly uninspiring to be honest, along with the Musket, which everyone seems to love.

:idk: Seems like Muffs are the most finicky of fuzzes. I've got a big box NYC (not sure what year, it's the one with the wooden box and pointy knobs) and while it's muddy, and the bypass is awful, there's something about it I really like, so I guess you've just got to try until the right one comes along.

Archived