ATTN All you people with Ernie Ball Volume Pedals

• Members

Do you guys feel like it's sucking your tone at all? I'd really like a volume pedal, but dropping 300 for a hilton seems a little hefty. With that said, I'm a little tired of swelling with my knob.

Is there anything between a hilton and an Ernie ball? I presume the Morley's are similar to the ernie balls

• Members

Works the same as your guitar volume nob. Maybe run a compressor after it to thickn things up? They work fine for loads of acts across the board. Mine's done great for me over the years. Just be sure that it's properly set to go to full volume and isn't reaching full tilt before the pot is fully turned.

• Members

Surely it has some sort of capacitor on it to stop the treble roll off?

I don't think so. But to be honest, if it did have one you'd have just as many people complaining except this time they'd be saying "My Ernie Ball is too harsh when turned down for cleans". I think when you set your sound to be clear and forward at max volume, a bit of treble roll off at lower volume can be a really good thing.

To the OP, I didn't notice "Tone Suck" when I had mine. And EchoD is right - even if you do hear a difference, it'll just be a bit of treble roll of which you can surely compensate for with your amp's tone knobs.

• Members

I would go with the Boss FH-500. It's super solid and has very nice action. The one downside is it's the size of canada.

But actually, putting another passive volume knob in line with your existing volume knob is always going to darken your sound a little. You know how 1 meg pots sound brighter than 500k an those are brighter than 250k? A volume pedal adds another pot parallel to that one which can only ever lower the effective resistance you have between your signal and ground. If you had a 1 meg volume pot in your guitar and one wired the same way in your volume pedal you've now got, effectively, 500k between the signal and ground.

• Members

I really don't notice much difference, but I have a brighter amp too. Just turn stuff up if you need to. Also, check out the Dunlop volume, that might work for you. No string controlling the treadle either.

• Members

I would go with the Boss FH-500. It's super solid and has very nice action. The one downside is it's the size of canada.

But actually, putting another passive volume knob in line with your existing volume knob is always going to darken your sound a little. You know how 1 meg pots sound brighter than 500k an those are brighter than 250k? A volume pedal adds another pot parallel to that one which can only ever lower the effective resistance you have between your signal and ground. If you had a 1 meg volume pot in your guitar and one wired the same way in your volume pedal you've now got, effectively, 500k between the signal and ground.

This.

• Members

No complaints here, never really noticed a big difference to be honest. If a litte treble loss is the only problem, wouldn't that be easy to fix by just turning your amp's treble up a little?

• Members

Maybe you should go this route:

That looks pretty sweet, though at 215, I almost should just save for the Hilton.

Good to hear most users aren't experiencing extreme problems or tone suck. I'd really like to get a volume pedal, I've just heard a couple of friends say that the VP Jr. was sort of sucking their tone.

Not really sure what buffered pedal I could put before it, Volume pedals are supposed to come before everything right? I'll be using it with a musicomlab EFX switcher, so it'd probably just come before the switcher to swell whatever patch I click.

• Members

That looks pretty sweet, though at 215, I almost should just save for the Hilton.

Good to hear most users aren't experiencing extreme problems or tone suck. I'd really like to get a volume pedal, I've just heard a couple of friends say that the VP Jr. was sort of sucking their tone.

Not really sure what buffered pedal I could put before it, Volume pedals are supposed to come before everything right? I'll be using it with a musicomlab EFX switcher, so it'd probably just come before the switcher to swell whatever patch I click.

Put it before everything else if you want to be able to cut the volume but have the trails of your delay or verb ring out afterwards, put it after if you want to be able to kill all sound. At the moment I have mine after everything, I use a tuner first in the chain in case i need to mute everything but let trails ring out, if i want to do a volume swell I use the swell delay on my timeline, and then I have the volume pedal last for those times when complete immediate silence is necessary or i want to swell in the volume of an effected signal (like distortion + delay).

Archived