When was the last time you ACTUALLY changed your mind about something?

Ryan.

• Members

We debate day in, day out here on HCFX about pedals, guitars, pitbulls, religion, gun control etc...

usually its all good fun.

But when was the last time you actually changed your mind about something? What was it that you changed your mind about?

The last thing I changed my mind about was trivial. It was speakers. I was always under the impression that speaker choice made no difference in the sound of your music. But then someone here posted a video of a demo of 8 different speakers and there was an obvious difference. So I changed my mind.

Before that it was somewhere after college that I changed my mind about a lot of my liberaldouchebag ideals.

What about you? When was the last time you changed your mind?

• Members

High school I was a douchey anarchist liberal with no regard to the real world.

College I changed and became a douchey conservative with no regard for real life situations.

After that I became a douchey libertarian again with no regard to the real world or real life situations.

Now I'm a douchey moderate.

• Members

We debate day in, day out here on HCFX about pedals, guitars, pitbulls, religion, gun control etc...

usually its all good fun.

But when was the last time you actually changed your mind about something? What was it that you changed your mind about?

The last thing I changed my mind about was trivial. It was speakers. I was always under the impression that speaker choice made no difference in the sound of your music. But then someone here posted a video of a demo of 8 different speakers and there was an obvious difference. So I changed my mind.

Before that it was somewhere after college that I changed my mind about a lot of my liberaldouchebag ideals.

What about you? When was the last time you changed your mind?

I changed my mind most recently about Occupy Wall Street...I support the relevant dialog they can often bring to the table in these odd political times but their "leadership", at least on the local level, what little of it there is seems to be in the form of 12 year-olds who think breaking {censored} and fantasizing about being sweethearts of the revolution are critical tools for social change. The best minds and relevant voices in that movement aren't getting the attention they deserve. I know they like to blame that on the media, but "the media" isn't running their Facebook pages or engaging in "false flag operations" to discredit them. They simply aren't culling their ranks of their more absurdist and radical elements and they aren't going to get much support until they do. It's kind of hard to sit there criticizing Republicans for not calling out the bat {censored} crazies like Michelle Bachmann when they're letting the suburbanista SLA wannabes set {censored} on fire and destroy property without publicly denouncing them and driving them from their ranks.

I also changed my mind about hot dogs.

• Members

I pretty easily change my mind when someone presents a compelling argument that makes more sense than what I had previously believed. If we're talking musical equipment mind changing most recently I also embraced nice speakers as super important pretty recently after my friend a/b'd a bunch of speakers. Before that I changed my mind about having a handwired amp being important to me. That's because my tech explained to me (before I really got into building myself) how much longer the life of a handwired amp can be due to the fact that all the components are replaceable and fixable indefinitely.

Non musical...I changed my mind about literary theory being important to me. Now I love it after someone actually explained the point of it to me.

• Members

Experiences, logic, and proveable examples have the capability to change my mind. But only if I have an open mind.

I usually have the wherewithal to not get caught up on arguing ideological points on forums. Even if I have an opinion. I know that that opinion is mine, and not everyone will share it.

That's probably one reason my posting content is so dry sometimes. I don't really feel the need to change people's minds on their opinions.

• Members

about 10 seconds ago....I saw this thread and your name and....well.... here I am.

But seriously: around here? Just about never.
The positions and evidence is sparse at best, and usually the worst form of political drek.

As far as positions on music/toan/amp-happiness? There are a few opinions that I value more than others:
The pdx builders tend to be an honest lot, especially when talking about others' pedals.
Br4D is a personal favorite, but that's cuz he is honest to a fault...beyond honest.
I listen closely to the Rev, and Roy Brooks, and Wilbo (when he comes around here). Sure, you gotta toss in the pinch of salt, but they all know their stuff.

But most often, I listen to my gut.
Because it is nearest to me.
And because 30+ years in science has left me with a very intelligent gut.

• Members

The last major change of heart I had was when I realized that buying lots of vintage Electro-Harmonix was not such a great idea. I had a good run from about 2007 - 2010 where I amassed a nice collection. But I turned the corner and realized I had gone too far. I could sell them all, but I have neither the time, the motivation, nor the seller's market that I had when I was acquiring them :facepalm:

• Members

The last major change of heart I had was when I realized that buying lots of vintage Electro-Harmonix was not such a great idea. I had a good run from about 2007 - 2010 where I amassed a nice collection. But I turned the corner and realized I had gone too far. I could sell them all, but I have neither the time, the motivation, nor the seller's market that I had when I was acquiring them
:facepalm:

:(

• Members

I used to think I was a liberal, and then I learned I was slightly to the right of this guy

myC6g.jpg

But since the right is now the extreme right, I realised I'm pretty much a moderate.

Archived