Recommend your favorite "pedal platform amp"

IRG

• Members

So here's the deal. I've been toying with the idea of writing a pedal/guitar gear blog, and the opportunity is suddenly presenting itself.

But I think to fairly audition certain effects, certain amps work better than others. And the same comes true with guitars too, it's the combination of the amp and guitar, and then the effects that complement them.

I use a Vox AC15c1 as my main amp, the other is a Fender Mustang III. I would probably sell the Mustang, as it isn't a tube amp, and get something else to complement the Vox. Probably a Fender amp, but it doesn't have to be. Some say the AC15 doesn't take pedals well, but I've had pretty good luck with it.

So, given a realistic budget, what around $500 - $800 would you use to audition other pedals/guitars with, something that takes pedals well, and sounds good with a tele as well as a Les Paul or SG.

My first thought was a Fender Princeton reissue. And amp anyone can buy new/used for under $1k, and it can be set up clean or somewhat on the verge of breakup, a good platform for pedals it seems like.

Or maybe a Blues Deluxe, another alternative to the EL84 style I have now. Or maybe a Blues Jr. since they're so popular, but that seems a bit too similar to the AC15 in size/specs, even though they sound not that much alike.

A little pricier, but the Valvetrain 205 Tallboy could be an interesting amp, based on the Fender Princeton: http://proguitarshop.com/valvetrain-205-tall-boy-1x12-combo.html

So what would you recommend?

TL;DR, looking for an amp that takes effects well, to complement a Vox AC15c1 for pedal testing.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd go with a HRD over a PRRI or BDRI. Not that the PR isn't a good amp, but as a platform amp... a lot of people get on well with the HRD.

Forgot to include that, but that would work too. But the difference between the Blues Deluxe and the HRD are pretty minimal, aren't they? I think the HRD has an extra gain channel that the BDRI doesn't have. I had the Blues Deluxe before the Vox, good amp. A bit loud for my home studio, but part of that problem is the volume taper, went from very usable at 1, to quite loud at 2, and nearly maxed out anywhere past 4. I think the new version III might have fixed that though.

Another idea could be the Bassman Reissue.

• Members

Forgot to include that, but that would work too. But the difference between the Blues Deluxe and the HRD are pretty minimal, aren't they? I think the HRD has an extra gain channel that the BDRI doesn't have. I had the Blues Deluxe before the Vox, good amp. A bit loud for my home studio, but part of that problem is the volume taper, went from very usable at 1, to quite loud at 2, and nearly maxed out anywhere past 4. I think the new version III might have fixed that though.

Another idea could be the Bassman Reissue.

TGP thread Re: BD vs. HRD -- http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=600849

• Members

my suggestion is this: get amps that aren't already over used in demos. you're a play at home guy, so try low watt tube amps. my vox ac-4 takes pedals really well, my ga-5 sounds amazing with pedals(i can crank it to 10 and it doesn't break up with single coils, but pushing it with a muff or algal bloom is beautiful) even my kalamazoo model 2 sounds great with everything i throw at it.

be a trailblazer! haha

• Members

my suggestion is this: get amps that aren't already over used in demos. you're a play at home guy, so try low watt tube amps. my vox ac-4 takes pedals really well, my ga-5 sounds amazing with pedals(i can crank it to 10 and it doesn't break up with single coils, but pushing it with a muff or algal bloom is beautiful) even my kalamazoo model 2 sounds great with everything i throw at it.

be a trailblazer! haha

Thanks man, I appreciate the input, and some good ideas here. I do wonder though, with an amp that is less common, will people want to read/hear about how something sounds with it, if they can't relate to it because they don't own, or haven't heard said amp? Whereas the HRD/PRRI etc. are pretty ubiquitous, so more people could perhaps relate. Definitely pros and cons of both.

Here's another Valvetrain amp, 6w, and it's not uber expensive at $800. Looks nice too.

valvetrain_concord_1.jpg

I can't really afford a mega expensive amp, and that isn't really my style anyway. My blog/article will be more about "value" priced equipment, stuff that sounds good, good construction, but has realistic price points too. And ideally made in the USA/Canada, or someplace besides sweatshops in China.

Here's a pic of the Tallboy, a 5w Princeton circuit:

valve_train_tall_boy_205_1.jpg

• Members

Since you're are looking into running a gear blog, the amps you have should compliment each other, ie mimic the range of types/styles of amps that your readers may own.

The AC15 kinda does the Vox frontend/EL84 thing

May I be so bold as to suggest:

- a saggy, browntone amp

- a painful, clean, loud amp

- a crunchy thing

- some ridiculous, highgain, mEngloid head

Of course, then you should also remember to test with a variety of pickups.

As a reader, I'm always interested in how a pedal would sound in a setup like mine, but am often let down when the pedal is reviewed/played by someone with active EMGs into a Framus Dragon... Not exactly the platform for good overdrive reviews.

Phil will soon jump in and say "what Randy really seems to want is a re-amp'd review", and that may be pretty close to true.

But I also want to hear how different pickups afffect the effect. And you can't get that by just replaying a tape into the effect...you lose the whole impedence interaction thing, which can be critical.

I dunno, I wish you well.

• Members

i mean, i guess it depends on who you want your core audience to be. personally, i don't like listening to demos where they're using 2000 dollar 65 AMPS soho's and that sorta thing (i know that's not what you're going for either, but you get what i'm saying.) lots of people have blues juniors, though, so personally,(this might sound stupid) i'd get on musiciansfriend and look through the "best selling" list of amps and see what people are buying. if i were you, i'd keep the mustang simply because it is solid state. most demos are made using tube amps.

i agree with the usa/canada thing. 3 of my 4 amps are made in the usa...i kinda laughed when i noticed my vox was made in veeetnam.

i dig the amps you posted. i think they'd be pretty cool to demo with.

• Members

Since you're are looking into running a gear blog, the amps you have should compliment each other, ie mimic the range of types/styles of amps that your readers may own.

The AC15 kinda does the Vox frontend/EL84 thing

May I be so bold as to suggest:

-
a saggy, browntone amp

- a painful, clean, loud amp

-
a crunchy thing

- some ridiculous, highgain, mEngloid head

Of course, then you should also remember to test with a variety of pickups.

As a reader, I'm always interested in how a pedal would sound in a setup like mine, but am often let down when the pedal is reviewed/played by someone with active EMGs into a Framus Dragon... Not exactly the platform for good overdrive reviews.

Phil will soon jump in and say "what Randy really seems to want is a re-amp'd review", and that may be pretty close to true.

But I also want to hear how different pickups afffect the effect. And you can't get that by just replaying a tape into the effect...you lose the whole impedence interaction thing, which can be critical.

I dunno, I wish you well.

Thanks for the input. I bolded 2 of your suggestions; what might you suggest for the browntone/saggy amp? And the crunchy amp choice, I was thinking maybe something simple like a Marshall Class 5 head into a 1x12 or 2x12 cab.

As for pickups, I really agree here, it makes a big difference. Here's what I have now, it might change, as there are gaps obviously:

CS Tele, handwound Abigail Ybarra pickups

Epi Tribute Les Paul: stock Gibson '57/'57+ pickups in it

Gibson SG '04, stock 490 pickups in it

Squier Masic Jazzmaster; stock pickups, but 250k CTS pots in it

Agile Harm, stock p-90 pickups in it

I might put a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquities in the SG, and maybe some SD in the Jazzmaster. The Agile needs a pickup upgrade too.

I do not own a set of hot pickups, nothing like EMG's. I wouldn't be adverse in the future to getting one heavy-ish type of guitar that was meant more for high gain. In general, this forum doesn't gravitate to that, but I won't be writing for just the folks here. But I do want diversity in what I have, and what I can write about. I'll be testing out different kind of gear though, so maybe a guitar with EMG's will come my way. Testing it with a HRD might not be that outrageous, testing it with the latest metal pedal into a Princeton might be.

With a limited budget at this point, I can't own/test all things to all people, so I'll be narrowing down what I think will appeal to a broader audience, especially those with a realistic budget.

• Members

I have been talking about exactly this with Cono Fusco as we're working on a new amp for me. We ended up deciding that something based on a vintage ampeg would work best cause of the baxandall eq.

• Members

I have been talking about exactly this with Cono Fusco as we're working on a new amp for me. We ended up deciding that something based on a vintage ampeg would work best cause of the baxandall eq.

Sounds cool. You'll have to get me the details sometime on what you end up with. There are a few amps out now with the baxandall EQ, aren't there? It escapes me, but I recall seeing one recently with this that looked interesting.

Only problem for me selecting something like this, is that most readers wouldn't know what the tone of this amp would sound like. I'm afraid it would put off some readers, like the $3k Soho amps, that probably sound great, but not that many can afford. I'm leaning more mainstream at this point, but it'll be awhile before I go in any direction.

• Members

Sounds cool. You'll have to get me the details sometime on what you end up with. There are a few amps out now with the baxandall EQ, aren't there? It escapes me, but I recall seeing one recently with this that looked interesting.

Only problem for me selecting something like this, is that most readers wouldn't know what the tone of this amp would sound like. I'm afraid it would put off some readers, like the $3k Soho amps, that probably sound great, but not that many can afford. I'm leaning more mainstream at this point, but it'll be awhile before I go in any direction.

The plan right now for the amp is really cool.

1. Clean ampeg-based preamp with Baxandall EQ

2. Tube driven Fender-based spring reverb with mix, dwell, and tone controls.

3. Master presence control (basically controls power amp's negative feedback).

4. No master volume because it's a clean amp.

5. Switchable power supply windings for high and low voltage settings (low voltage being a bit darker and saggier similar to a tube rectifier in some ways).

6. 4x6L6 tubes in the power amp for a maximum of 85w (similar to a twin)

7. Half tube switch to remove two power tubes from the circuit, dropping down to about 60w

8. Triode/Pentode switch to give half power in either power tube configuration (so, you could drop to about 25w or about 40w depending on how many tubes you're running). This gives you the ability to use anywhere between 25-85 watts.

9. Cathode bias/fixed bias switchable for two different power amp feels.

So basically the idea of the amp is super nice clean preamp with awesome reverb mated with a highly configurable power amp to match the playing situation.

Archived