Recommend your favorite "pedal platform amp"

IRG

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Eh, I don't think the blues jr actually takes pedals that well. It tends to get muddy. I prefer playing mine just on its own.

Hmm, the Blues Jr I used took pedals like a champ, though I never threw anything weird at it. Just off the shelf delay and ODs

• Members

i liked mine the way it was, it just wasn't loud enough for me and had no speaker outs. could do with more efficient speakers, though, yeah, but the tone was just fantastic and the reverb is {censored}ing bitchcoat.

i'd like to get the head version someday though.

• Members

i liked mine the way it was, it just wasn't loud enough for me and had no speaker outs.

i'd like to get the head version someday though.

I had one for a while and added a speaker out. Running it into an external cab and a/bing with the stock speaker made me really like the external cab way better than the stock speaker. Sounded amazing vs just good.

• Members

If you're using it for pedal demos why not get a JC-60? Nice, flat EQ so all you really hear is the pedal.

Good question, and here's why. Good overdrives/boosts/fuzz tend to react with a tube amp differently, they can be made to push your amp further, or interact in a unique way. An amp without tubes can sound good (I have one now), but the gain structure won't sound the same because the tubes aren't there being pushed further.

Now for a delay or maybe modulation, then a clean amp might be desirable. But demoing pedals on a very clean platform is a good idea, but not everyone will be after that. I tend to think that more people run their amps on the verge of breakup, to fairly dirty, than they do clean. But of course it depends on style of music too, venue, etc.

• Members

Eh, I don't think the blues jr actually takes pedals that well. It tends to get muddy. I prefer playing mine just on its own.

Mine was muddy as well until I swapped out the middle 12AX7 for a 12AU7 to add more headroom and swapped out the speaker to a Warehouse Green Beret. Ever since then it was been a perfect amp for me: perfect cleans and takes pedals just as perfectly.

• Members

I was thinking the HRD had an effects loop, but the III model at least, doesn't have one. The Blues Deluxe does have an effects loop, but I'm not sure there's a III version of the BD. The volume taper and drive channel on the HRD are supposedly improved, two of my main complaints on the BD. 40w is a bit more than I need though really.

• Members

PreAmp with speakersim (4x12 closed) into PA is my main pedalplattform for the last years... i used a POD 2.0 and later the Damage Control Demonizer... and paired with several highgain amps. i never playd my highain stuff with much effects. just a boost, sometimes a wah and delay. I used a fender deluxe reverb too insteed of the preamps beside the highgain-amp for cleans and effects.

• Members

Yup, the Blues Juniors are terrific platforms. My PRRI on the other hand, hated every dirt pedal I tried w/ it. Nice cleans tho...

Odd, I thought the PRRI was supposed to love all pedals. Learn something new I guess. Seems like most people think the HRD does take pedals well though, and the III version actually sounds like the amp breakup tones are pretty good too. Might still look for a lower watt amp though.

• Members

+1 on the low wat amp. The AC15 is already a "band" amp, so you can have another amp for the home players that use smaller amps. VHT special 6 is quite popular, affordable, easier to crank, and can use "fender" tubes.

I'd even throw a pathfinder in, they are cheap, sound good clean and lots of people use them at home.

Ah, yap that Tallboy looks good..

Good luck!

• Members

Any of the Fenders you mentioned should work well. I like the idea of keeping it affordable so your readers/listeners/viewers can relate pretty easily.

I also really dig the idea of going for a more 'home player' approach with a lower wattage amp. With that being the case, you may want to check out the Special 6 or Ultra (based on the Champ circuit) or the newer Ampeg GVT amps.

• Members

Any of the Fenders you mentioned should work well. I like the idea of keeping it affordable so your readers/listeners/viewers can relate pretty easily.

I also really dig the idea of going for a more 'home player' approach with a lower wattage amp. With that being the case, you may want to check out the Special 6 or Ultra (based on the Champ circuit) or the newer Ampeg GVT amps.

THe VHT Ultra 6 had me interested a while back, I might have to look at them again. Those 1 watt special Marshall amp heads look really cool, sort of pricey, and hard to find I think. I'm likely to focus on less expensive amps that still sound good.

Archived