Recommend your favorite "pedal platform amp"

IRG

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Odd, I thought the PRRI was supposed to love all pedals. Learn something new I guess. Seems like most people think the HRD does take pedals well though, and the III version actually sounds like the amp breakup tones are pretty good too. Might still look for a lower watt amp though.

QFT gotta agree with Machine Gunner. My PRRI was pain in ass to find the right dirt pedals for it. On other hand my BJR III (Billm mod) takes pedals better than any amp I've ever owned. Gotta agree with guys on HRD. Its great working mans amp. I see a lot guitarist in bar bands using them.

• Members

Or an old bassman maybe.

I agree with this. A Twin, or Bassman, and you are set.

Check out the older Gibson amps. Here is the Gibson/Fender amp comparison page.

http://www.rru.com/~meo/Guitar/Amps/Gibson/gfmap.html

I was given a GA55rvt, a few years back. A nice solid clean sound. I have to have the volume >75%, before it starts to break up. Works great with my pedals. Only thing is some fuzz, FF-type, need a little help with a boost, or eq.

• Members

Follow up question: how important is an effects loop for people? If you have one on your amp, do you use it for your time based effects? I've had at least one delay/reverb (both from EQD I think) that are noisy sounding out front, but good in an effects loop. That might be important to at least review certain pedals this way, maybe. I dunno. Seems like most people don't use an effects loop, but I could be wrong. Might have to start a poll later on how useful this is for people.

• Members

whatever you choose, just please make it a commonly owned amp.
Why would I want to know how a pedal sounds pumped into a Soho, or a Matchless, or even a Dr Z ?

I'm not saying sink to the level of a Line6 Spyder or a Berringer. Just pick a commonly owned Fender and be done with it.

• Members

whatever you choose, just please make it a commonly owned amp.

Why would I want to know how a pedal sounds pumped into a Soho, or a Matchless, or even a Dr Z ?

I'm not saying sink to the level of a Line6 Spyder or a Berringer. Just pick a commonly owned Fender and be done with it.

Yeah I think this is my feeling too, better to have a fairly common amp that is competent and priced according for more guitarists than a nice boutique that few will be able to own/hear. Makes sense to me.

Archived