Stage presence as a guitarist -> how 2??//!?

4nd3h

• Members

I'm a pretty docile guy and lazy too. I always get a hell of an adrenaline rush onstage but I don't know how to naturally convert that to a good rock show. I end up standing there and bobbing to the beat... I guess I should be a bass player :cool:

Any tips?

Do you guys have videos of yourselves performing?

Also if it matters, the group is... post-rock (sigur ros) + dance-punk (LCD Soundsystem) + "Folk-tronica" (no goddamn idea what this is, the singer says it a lot.)

Yeah.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Watching videos is a great idea. Try to learn from the body language of guitarists from bands that you personally think put on a good show, but think about how it fits your music. If you're playing high-energy rock music, take your cues from The Clash or The Who. If your music is a little more chill, maybe standing still and head-bobbing is more appropriate. If you're doing dance and techno stuff, watch some Devo videos and see how they play. We all borrow playing technique from the musicians we emulate, I don't think there's anything wrong with learning from their stage presence as well.

I've always felt that the most important thing about live music is showing the audience that you're enjoying what you're doing. Even if you're playing in a bar to twenty people, the audience has this romantic perspective of being in a band as being a rockstar, living the life, being "cool." If someone's there for the show, they want to feed off that energy themselves. If you don't look like you're having fun, it's hard to convince the audience to enjoy themselves.

• Members

You really have to exaggerate movement on stage for people to notice. I learned that in jr high drama class.

Definitely. I noticed that the first time I watched concert footage of me. I felt like I was totally rocking out, but on camera it just looked like I was gently bobbing my head. Lateral movement is the easiest thing for the audience to see too. Going backward and forward is nice, but it's less noticeable to the audience than if you're going across the stage.

• Members

Oh, but like others have said, be natural. Nothing is worse than forced stage presence. We played a show with some guys who brought their own wooden boxes to put their leg up on while they'd rock out, and they'd do it in unison. Maybe it's just be, but forced, synchronized stage movements seem like the ultimate form of cheeseiness to me.

• Members

Your skill should be your main stage presence. If its not, practice more.

After that, do whatever comes naturally. Bobbing the head works, but I often find myself doing the leg wag/stomp or strumming dramatically with the arm raised in the air after.

Archived