Stage presence as a guitarist -> how 2??//!?

4nd3h

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Entertain people with your music, not bull{censored}tery.

Is Pete Townsend doing a windmill bull{censored}tery? Was it bull{censored}tery when the Ramones manager came out dressed as a pinhead, or how about when Jimbo from the Reverend Horton Heat surfs his stand up bass? Personally I call it showmanship, but whatev.

• Members

Is Pete Townsend doing a windmill bull{censored}tery? Was it bull{censored}tery when the Ramones manager came out dressed as a pinhead, or how about when Jimbo from the Reverend Horton Heat surfs his stand up bass? Personally I call it showmanship, but whatev.

All sounds like bull {censored}tery. Robo you laugh, but I have yet to see anything from you on a level of Pike.

• Members

I move around a lot. Not too much, I think.. I like to make eye contact with my band mates and anyone in the crowd who is looking my way...

I think it has a lot to do with your shoes. What kind of shoes do you were on stage?

*I know, it's a stretch, just work with me, here..*

• Members

I've found that how confident i am on stage is directly related to how practiced I feel at what I'm playing, and most importantly how confident I am in the material we're playing and in the rest of the band. I've had a few moments live where I've realised a band I'm playing with is rubbish, and then my performance takes a bit of a dive. Same if someone else makes loads of obvious mistakes. Or if I'm not playing well.

Assuming all those boxes are ticked I can have fun up there and be confident that I like what I'm doing. Then I find myself looking over the crowd, trying to perform for the people at the back as well as the front, moving round the stage and engaging with the other guys in the band. But it should never be forced. The only thing I force is when I find myself retreating into my own head - those times when you're just standing there looking at the fretboard on autopilot. Then I make a conscious effort to connect with someone and get back into the room. But usually when that happens I try to work out why - am I not getting into a song? Am I unsure about my part?

• Members

I thought the only reason we play guitar was to be able to dance without feeling socially awkward?

Half joking.

I hate dancing, I hate dance floors. I feel exposed, I'm a socially awkward person sometimes.

Playing guitar with a band, I go mental. I love it, I jump about as much as I can - what could be more fun than moving to the music not only that you love, but are actually creating?

Don't think to hard about it, just have fun with it. Never put it on. That's bollocks. I go mad in rehearsals too, but playing to a crowd brings out even more in me.

So start dancing, if you can't do that, start hopping, swaying, whatever. Jesus, you're playing a guitar, have some fun with it.

Archived