Stage presence as a guitarist -> how 2??//!?

4nd3h

• Members

First off remember it is a show. You are there to entertain people. I would suggest like others have that you watch some of the greats and see how they do it. I would also recommend rehearsing as if you are playing a show. Also do not stare at your guitar neck. Engage the audience with your eyes. Practice playing with your eyes closed or blindfolded if you have to, but for the most part you should be able to play without staring at your shoes or guitar neck.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been gigging for years and I still forget to look up and out at the crowd. I spose the main thing I try to do is to make the guitar playing part look effortless. I get a lot of practice from my singer talking to me about stuff on stage and having to talk back whilst soloing.

• Members

I saw the Christian emo band Anberlin once. They had three guitarists. Why? I don't know...the music is all power chords and pentatonic scales (not that I have a problem with that)...three guitarists just seemed excessive. Anyway, the lead player just stood still in the back, ripping octave runs and such. The guy in charge of power chords was playing and SG and I swear he never stood still. The SG was held vertically straight up in the air 90% of the time as he jumped on monitors, climbed half stacks, and did guitar swings. Too much...

I just saw The Jesus and Mary Chain last week, like J. Mascis, the sheer volume made up for lack of stage presence.

• Members

I agree with this. Not having stage presence is way better than being the annoying guy who's trying too hard.

The problem is (and I am speaking from personal experience) that when you don't have stage presence it kinda comes off like you don't care whether anybody else is enjoying what you are playing. You have to at least look like you're having fun. I'm still working on not looking at the neck so much but I move around more than I used to and I think it's helping.

• Members

First off remember it is a show. You are there to entertain people. I would suggest like others have that you watch some of the greats and see how they do it. I would also recommend rehearsing as if you are playing a show. Also do not stare at your guitar neck. Engage the audience with your eyes. Practice playing with your eyes closed or blindfolded if you have to, but for the most part you should be able to play without staring at your shoes or guitar neck.

Entertain people with your music, not bull{censored}tery.

• Members

I find that the more you interact with your band mates, the better the show......have a good time up there and it is contagious.

i agree wholeheartedly.

watch this, take notes.

[video=youtube;DRot9IjNSso]

i think the trick is making faces like you dont' care while strutting.

• Members

I think bands with overly dramatic stage presence look ridiculous. Let your songs and musicianship be the show.

If you're enjoying yourself and feeling the music, it'll show.

I used to try to do all the fancy stage crap, and I realized I had much more fun being myself and just playing.

Archived