Stage presence as a guitarist -> how 2??//!?

4nd3h

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Obviously there are a lot of ways to do it. Some guys dance around others just stand there. I remember, about ten years ago guys started coping Radiohead and would sit on the floor and twiddle there effects knobs (do people do that anymore?). You have to think about how you want to look. Twenty or thirty years ago when I was starting out I would go to shows and steal moves from performers that I liked, Iggy Pop had some amazing theatrical moves - not just throwing himself on the floor. Johnny Thunders was another guy everyone was imitating. Even if you take some moves from other guitarists chances are you'll do 'em your own way so it won't be stealing.

Now I'm too old to be leaping around onstage so I go the Pink Floyd route and put up some lasers and other lights so the audience experience something special when the come to see my band. I live show is not just music, it a visual medium also, so I think there ought to be something interesting to look at, even if it's just a really beautiful guitar.

• Members

Obviously there are a lot of ways to do it. Some guys dance around others just stand there. I remember, about ten years ago guys started coping Radiohead and would sit on the floor and twiddle there effects knobs (do people do that anymore?). You have to think about how you want to look. Twenty or thirty years ago when I was starting out I would go to shows and steal moves from performers that I liked, Iggy Pop had some amazing theatrical moves - not just throwing himself on the floor. Johnny Thunders was another guy everyone was imitating. Even if you take some moves from other guitarists chances are you'll do 'em your own way so it won't be stealing.

Now I'm too old to be leaping around onstage so I go the Pink Floyd route and put up some lasers and other lights so the audience experience something special when the come to see my band. I live show is not just music, it a visual medium also, so I think there ought to be something interesting to look at, even if it's just a really beautiful guitar.

I can understand this to an extent, but if I am worried about how I look on stage I will be less focused on what I am playing and more likely to {censored} up. I {censored} up a lot as it is. I'm content with standing completely still in the shadows where I can't be seen.

Archived