Flame vs Quilt - which top is tops? Poll

Pedaltones

• Members

I know both catch a lot of general disdain here as excessively showy/garish/:lem:/TGP or what have you but I'm wondering between the two which does HCFX reckons looks better when done right.

Yes yes, plain/sparkly/metallic/seafoam dreams are clear favourites here but out of the figured maple tops which do you think looks better? So...

suhr-modern-carve-le-67-top.jpg

v

289ihxt.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Out of those two choices....I'd pass. I would consider neither of those "done right."

Are you referring to the pics? because I don't mean them as the most 'done right' versions of each figuring. They were one of the first images on google search. Just think of whatever you think is a optimum version of the particular top and vote please.

If you find both equally distasteful that's fine too - no need to pick either.

• Members

I like subtle quilt or flame.. but when it's that much.. it just looks gross. It also serves no function.. figured wood is highly unstable.. and if it wasn't for the looks.. people would just use it as firewood.. because that's all it's good for.

I'm not a fan of either, but if you're going to do it- subtle is key.

My Ibanez is pretty tame. It's also so dark that you can't tell it's a fancy top unless you hit it with light...

With direct light:

IMG_1400a.jpg

No light:

IMG_3840a.jpg

Archived