Flame vs Quilt - which top is tops? Poll

Pedaltones

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you wouldn't be a fan of a pronounced sexily-flamed cherryburst LP?

I've never particularly liked the "clownburst" look, but a nice 1960 Les Paul with a slimtaper neck and a heavily flamed top can be a thing of beauty. :love:

I love strats that are finished like yours where you can see the grain.

That semi-opaque blond over ash (ala the original Mary Kaye models) has always been a good look IMO - on Strats AND Telecasters.

That green/blue quilt top is Dave Weiner's (of the Steve Vai band) commissioned PRS.

It must be the Irish in me - I'm a sucker for green guitars. ;)

I don't have overly large hands or Buckethead-like fingers but the wide-thin 25" scale of my PRS is the most comfortable neck I've ever played. I just HATE the rotary selector switch.

How does the rotary switch work on the PRS? How many positions, and what do they do?

I've been giving some thought to my ultimate Jaguar, and I want a four-way rotary switch ala the Fender XII instead of the three separate sliders.

Clean, it's versatile but not special sounding so I'm thinking of selling it towards a Suhr (of which there's a likelihood will feature a wonderfully vulgar quilt that would tent most blues-lawyers suitpants)
:lol:

:lol:

When you say a you wish PRS would release a third size neck do you mean a narrower fretboard width or shorter scale length?

Well, I wasn't going to be greedy and ask for a 24" scale length... just a neck profile that is more along the lines of the Gibson 60s / SlimTaper neck profile... but a 24" scale with the right profile would be pretty darned cool. :lol:

• Members

I've never particularly liked the "
clownburst
" look, but a nice 1960 Les Paul with a slimtaper neck and a heavily flamed top can be a thing of beauty.
:love:

I like "clownburst" :cop:

That semi-opaque blond over ash (ala the original Mary Kaye models) has always been a good look IMO - on Strats AND Telecasters.

Agreed - my favourite

It must be the Irish in me - I'm a sucker for green guitars.
;)

Yes we do have an affinity for the green of home (glas - as gaeilge) :thu:

How does the rotary switch work on the PRS? How many positions, and what do they do?

5 positions from 10 to 6 (they use the same knobs as the vol/tone so 5-1 are left redundant)

Position 10: Treble HB

Position 9: Outside coils parallel

Position 8: Series single inside coils

I like "clownburst"
:cop:

No offense intended. Here... I searched around and found this - I think you'll enjoy it:

ClownburstGallery.jpg

Yes we do have an affinity for the green of home (glas - as gaeilge)
:thu:

5 positions from 10 to 6 (they use the same knobs as the vol/tone so 5-1 are left redundant)

Position 10: Treble HB

Position 9: Outside coils parallel

Position 8: Series single inside coils

• Members

No offense intended. Here... I searched around and found this - I think you'll enjoy it:

ClownburstGallery.jpg

1592725_o.gif

What is it about the rotary that you don't like? Is it just too complex and hard to find the settings you want quickly, or is it unreliable, or is it something else?

I find it awkward to switch quickly and accurately to the outside single coils (pos 9) from either neck or bride humbuckers. Even flicking a blade switch can be tricky finding on of the in-between positions at speed, just less so.

Also there's quite a noticeable click that gets picked up when switching through the rotary. This is more of an annoyance when playing clean.

Maybe. Or a mod. I can't seem to find just what I want in a Jaguar. I mean, there's some killer Jags out there right now, and pretty much at any price point, but none of them are exactly "it". The Jaguarillo comes really close, but I REALLY wish it had the neck of my '75 Duo Sonic II. If you shaved the neck a bit, routed it for the rhythm circuit, put that in (and connect it to the neck pickup), put a four-way rotary switch and "baseball bat" switch knob in the place of the 5 way blade switch (Middle / Mid+Bridge parallel / M+B series / Bridge), and replaced the Strat pickups with actual Jaguar units (fairly hot ones, as to keep up with the bridge humbucker, which I'd leave) and replace the pickguard with a custom cut one. No upper chrome - I want the pickguard with the three pickups angled, the upper rhythm circuit area cut into the guard like a JM. You'd also need to put a pair of push / pull knobs in on the lead circuit. One for the traditional Jaguar low-cut "strangle" switch, the other for a phase reverse switch for the middle pickup. Oh, and paint the headstock to match the CAR body... then it would be pretty dang perfect.

Can you tell I've given this a bit of thought?
:D

A man can dream

Unfortunately, it still wouldn't be a green quilt top.

Fixed

• Members

Y SO THIRSTY BRO?

Thirst is always a poor second when it concerns the bottles. I place great stock in collecting bottles. I really have no time to really drink the liquids within, but I am fastidious about taking sweet photos of them so I can post them online which enables me to describe the liquids' flavour with popular terms to vouch for my credentials.

• Members

I like this guitar model (SZ520QM). Did not like the original pickups, etc., etc. Virtually everything but the wood has been replaced on this. Finally found the pickups I love for it, early 70's Maxons, and decided to model the cosmetics after the 59 Les Paul look.
IbanezSZ520-59GibsonStyle.jpg

• Members

Thirst is always a poor second when it concerns the bottles. I place great stock in collecting bottles. I really have no time to really drink the liquids within, but I am fastidious about taking sweet photos of them so I can post them online which enables me to describe the liquids' flavour with popular terms to vouch for my credentials.

Y SO THIRSTY

Archived