Flame vs Quilt - which top is tops? Poll

Pedaltones

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know both catch a lot of general disdain here as excessively showy/garish/:lem:/TGP or what have you but I'm wondering between the two which does HCFX reckons looks better when done right.

Yes yes, plain/sparkly/metallic/seafoam dreams are clear favourites here but out of the figured maple tops which do you think looks better? So...

suhr-modern-carve-le-67-top.jpg

v

289ihxt.jpg

IMHO, it really depends on the color and the individual guitar... of those two, I definitely prefer the quilted maple top, but on other guitar models, I'd prefer a flame maple top.

If it has to be one or the other I like flame. Quilt has never been appealing to me. I don't find the super over the top flame appealing either. If anything I prefer a subtle flame or plain top.

My '96 Epi Les Paul is a Limited Edition model with a "trans red" finish over a supposedly flame maple top... it's pretty subtle, and I like that about it. There's enough figuring there to give it a little character, but IMO it's not gnarly, garish, and over the top.

2StratsTeleLesPaul.jpg

538826_444363042259195_227806503_n.jpg

It's pretty darned flashy, but that finish "fits" the guitar IMO.

I know they're not very popular here on HCFX, but I do like some PRS guitars. I've heard guys coax some really cool sounds out of some of them. I just can't play them comfortably, so I'll probably never own one.

I've never met him, but I know a couple of people who know Paul. I should try to see if I can get someone to ask him "why the heck don't you offer a third neck size that's more suited to those of us with average to smaller sized hands?" Wide / flat and wide / fat just doesn't do it for me... sorry. And that's WAY more important to me that the guitar's cosmetics.

• Members

It's pretty darned flashy, but that finish "fits" the guitar IMO.

I know they're not very popular here on HCFX, but I do like some PRS guitars. I've heard guys coax some really cool sounds out of some of them. I just can't play them comfortably, so I'll probably never own one.

I've never met him, but I know a couple of people who know Paul. I should try to see if I can get someone to ask him "why the heck don't you offer a third neck size that's more suited to those of us with average to smaller sized hands?" Wide / flat and wide / fat just doesn't do it for me... sorry. And that's WAY more important to me that the guitar's cosmetics.

That green/blue quilt top is Dave Weiner's (of the Steve Vai band) commissioned PRS.

I don't have overly large hands or Buckethead-like fingers but the wide-thin 25" scale of my PRS is the most comfortable neck I've ever played. I just HATE the rotary selector switch. Clean, it's versatile but not special sounding so I'm thinking of selling it towards a Suhr (of which there's a likelihood will feature a wonderfully vulgar quilt that would tent most blues-lawyers suitpants) :lol:

When you say a you wish PRS would release a third size neck do you mean a narrower fretboard width or shorter scale length?

Archived