a rare occasion where an amplifier lived up to the hype...

echodeluxe

• Members

today, i went to starving musician in berkeley. i played this:

1350686271010.jpg

a bone stock 1965 princeton reverb.

i was a skeptic. i used to think "yeah, this thing probably sounds good, but no way its as good as they say. i mean, come on its just an amp."

i was a fool. that amp sounded incredible. the reverb was deep and bouncy. it was full and loud and in all sorts of settings just sounded really great. i can only imagine how it sounds with a good overdrive or fuzz.

i played a avri jazzmaster into it. ugh i hate having expensive taste. daddy liek.

• Members

Gorgeous. The old Fenders do have a nice little magic about them, in my old city's shop there was an old battered, stained blackface Twin that I played through a few times. Absolutely amazingly sparkly sounds, can't hate on that.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by thom

View Post

Anyone ever actually tried a vintage one side by side with a reissue? I always thought the current blackface fenders were supposed to be pretty close to the originals...Right?idn_smilie.gif

The problem is the speakers and transformers aren't made anymore.

Now if they replicated the exact circuit, it would be "pretty close," even with currently available speakers and transformers. But they don't typically do that, so one person's "pretty close" is another person's "pretty different."

But it can be done. The Victoria 59 Bassman is night and day different than the Fender "reissue."

Archived