OT: I voted

jhamnett

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

if people are applauding those who vote, i should get a standing ovation.

i've vote 7 times already today, but now i am almost out of facial hair so i probably won't be able to hit an even dozen
:(

As someone with a pretty significant beard, this made me chuckle.

• Members

Canada has long run a multiple-party system where the Liberals and Conservatives went back and forth and leader/opposition. Then, in an unexpected twist, the NDP ousted the Liberals and became the main opposition party. Change can happen; we've seen it in our lifetime.

• Members

Canada has long run a multiple-party system where the Liberals and Conservatives went back and forth and leader/opposition. Then, in an unexpected twist, the NDP ousted the Liberals and became the main opposition party. Change can happen; we've seen it in our lifetime.

Two very different countries, and the Canadian 2 and a half party system started 100 years ago.

In America, which is still a two party system, when it comes to Presidential elections the only thing a third party was able to accomplish was cause the would be winner to lose by taking votes they would have had away in 1992 causing 8 years of Clinton. On a local level 3rd parties do get in, from time to time.

Showing defiance to the two party system by voting for somebody that has no chance to win accomplishes nothing positive. If there was a chance for a 3rd party to win the US Presidential Election, there would be a lot more hoopla and energy behind such an election for that person than has ever been seen thus far. And then of course, it would still have to get past the electoral voters, that can of course vote for whomever they want despite what the state majority has said.

• Members

Two very different countries, and the Canadian 2 and a half party system started 100 years ago.

In America, which is still a two party system, when it comes to Presidential elections the only thing a third party was able to accomplish was cause the would be winner to lose by taking votes they would have had away in 1992 causing 8 years of Clinton. On a local level 3rd parties do get in, from time to time.

Showing defiance to the two party system by voting for somebody that has no chance to win accomplishes nothing positive. If there was a chance for a 3rd party to win the US Presidential Election, there would be a lot more hoopla and energy behind such an election for that person than has ever been seen thus far. And then of course, it would still have to get past the electoral voters, that can of course vote for whomever they want despite what the state majority has said.

This is exactly the type of defeatist thinking that maintains the status quo, and the trajectory of worsening conditions as the Corporate Party leaders stay in power. Its a lie that 3rd party candidates take away votes from the major party candidates. Those candidates don't own all the votes. But if you're going by that rationale, its more likely that the major party candidates take away votes from the third party candidates, as too many people vote for the less-of-two-evils rather than for the candidate that represents their values.

Showing support for candidates who do support your values is extremely positive, as it sends of message of what the people really want. Supporting the less-of-two-evils is damaging, as it maintains an undesirable status quo for the Corporate Party. People need to take a long-term view of the political process in order to get real change.

• Members

I think the point of my anecdote was miss - it was simply an example that sometimes things can change, if not in our lifetime, then possible future ones. Nobody would have thought the NDP would achieve even the title of opposition party, yet here I sit.

I like to maintain a positive attitude that if change is possible and desired, it will one day occur. I'd like to think the world will still be around for my kids and their kids and I'd like to instil the same hope in them.

• Members

pffft...Teddy roosevelt ran as a third party canidate...

We don't even have the same political parties in this county as we once did...

Also... I voted...

Y'all aware my district is about to elect the first openly gay republican congressman?

richard tisei, look it up..

• Members

Showing support for candidates who do support your values is extremely positive, as it sends of message of what the people really want. Supporting the less-of-two-evils is damaging, as it maintains an undesirable status quo for the Corporate Party. People need to take a long-term view of the political process in order to get real change.

You've pulled me in with your troll bait by constantly posting insane things, congratulations.

• Members

I think the point of my anecdote was miss - it was simply an example that sometimes things can change, if not in our lifetime, then possible future ones. Nobody would have thought the NDP would achieve even the title of opposition party, yet here I sit.

I like to maintain a positive attitude that if change is possible and desired, it will one day occur. I'd like to think the world will still be around for my kids and their kids and I'd like to instil the same hope in them.

Change is always in the works

• Members

3rd party candidates don't have a chance because of the mindset of people like you. Once people start supporting 3rd party candidates, and get away from the idea that "ya only get one of two choices," then we'll see change. But in this "land of the free" its difficult to get people to think they have a choice other than one of the two Corporate Party candidates.

• Members

I personally don't think it is possible for a 3rd party candidate to win unless there is an extended democratic streak of wins presidents.

And it doesn't matter how many legitimate parties there are until the money of politics is massively changed.

We can have a 5 party likert scale of legitimate idiologies, but until campaign dontating and massive underhanded money is managed better, it's still "those" 5 guys instead of "those" 2 guys.

Could you imagine if all elected officials had a capped salary and capped money they could spend on campaigning? 40k salary would be fair for these leaches.

• Members

Yeah, I'm not going to watch that video - looking up to people on soapboxes hurts the neck.

(I should have known better than to comment in a political thread)

Let me just say I'm proud of all those in the US who voted, whether Obama, Romney, Stein, or Barr... or anybody else (Rollins 2016)

• Members

As a UKer it is depressing to hear USers having to travel 5 hours to vote, and then wait to do it. In my entire adult life my polling station has never been more than a mile away (on average like 2 streets away). And I've never waited more than 5 minutes. And even then a lot of people here don't vote.

Same goes for me.

• Members

Here in Virginia, I'm glad I wasn't worried about the race being so close that I wouldn't want to "waste" my vote on a 3rd party candidate. It's not looking that close at all.

Not only did I vote LP, I went back and put up a handwritten sign advertising all 3 of the 3rd party candidates on the ballot here. Actually I made a mistake on it, but would be amazed if anyone noticed.

I would expect a third party to make progress gradually. One election getting enough that people take them seriously next time. I see the networks are showing results tonight for 3rd parties and even write-in numbers*. I don't think they used to do that.

*which just passed 4000 in this state!

Archived