Another Roland Countdown!

flat earth

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Totally agree with the previous comments, this is a bit of a snooze-fest (anyone fancy a Roland nightcap in company livery?).

But if you want a real new exciting keyboard to ponder, take a look at this strange thing Vangelis has stashed away:

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5838/kitaroworldreport005hq8.jpg

if this is a roland teaser it's a bit late. :mad:

• Members

Nah, just pulling your leg
:p

You need to show more of your true appreciation to any of these:

Korg or

Waldorf or

Kurzweil
;)

I'm no homo if that's what you're implying
:p
Korg users are all my buddies!
:thu:

i shall go and stroke my Radias and my Pulse to give expression to our new-found brotherhood. :love:

• Members

if this is a roland teaser it's a bit late.
:mad:

Quite right.

It's probably not a Roland keyboard at all, but who knows what it is - looks like a Frankenstein's monster of Yamaha, Korg and Kurzweil. No wonder that Kitaro looks so interested in it!

• Members

Roland hooked you in (quite successfully, I might add), and now let the blind hatred commence.

not me i was the first to pfft. I think i did pretty well predicting the pedals, amp and junodi (which I swear we just saw something similar, maybe from korg? some workstation that had a port for a USB stick :confused:).

i'm not surprised. this same thing had been happening at namms for years now.

• Members

Come on guys, be fair.

I mean, there's, ummm, an accordion looking kinda thing.

OK, maybe not so cool.

But hey, there's a battery powered PA ! *ponders* Hmm, a boom box, actually. 6.5" speakers.....plastic. Yeah.

What about that play along thingy ?!?!? Yeah, scratch that.

I sold my Juno-G, so a Di doesn't appeal to me, at all.

Hmmmm...

Well, the V-Drums are pretty bitchin'. Wonder what they cost ?

• Members

Well, the V-Drums are pretty bitchin'. Wonder what they cost ?

A drummer I play with has a TD-3 kit. I hate the damn thing. It plays pretty nice for a cheap d-drum set, but the sound sucks so hard. My ancient korg TR-rack has better drum samples...

• Members

So I checked out the Roland web site. Is the Di just a 61 key version of the Stage with fewer drum sounds and one less knob or two? Would the sound engine be the same? I was looking at a Stage anyway as a compromise solution for a 2nd keyboard to perform with. If the sounds are the same, this might be OK. BTW, you can already find the Di online...saw an Internet price for $699. Much cheaper than the Stage (which makes me think there are other things that are cheaped out besides the keys and rhythms).

Any insights?

• Members

Sales of music equipment becomes very slow at the end of the summer. The Roland Connect website launch is an attempt to revitalize interest and stimulate sales. You cannot expect major product announcements from an event like this one. Roland reserves those introductions for NAMM. They have made similar small product improvements and end of summer announcements in the past. The Connect website is just another version of their summer release strategy.

If you are looking for a deal or you plan to get something new, then wait until the upcoming Labor Day weekend. Guitar Center and other stores have good discounts during that holiday weekend and near the end of the year.

• Members

When does the countdown start when the company starts to have massive layoffs and starts liquidating? That's the only countdown with Roland I have any interest in anymore.

Okay, you're being a dick. Really? You want Roland to start laying people off?

Even if you hate everything Roland releases, they cause the companies you do like to make better products. Competition keeps everyone on their toes. God knows if Ensoniq was still around (and if E-MU still made music hardware), the state of MI would be a much cooler place.

And from what I've heard, M-Audio, Digidesign, and Korg have let a bunch of people go lately. And I can 100% guarantee you that at least one or two firings at Korg were indirectly related to OASYS sales affected by online bitching and misinformation. Keep laughing; Korg'll be the first of the big three to go.

And that will be a sad, sad day.

• Members

Any insights?

Yes, actually.

If you want to use the di as a second board on your live rig, do get something else, like a korg X50. If you have two of the same sounding rolands, you have too much overlap in terms of sound.

If you just wanted the di as a live-board and the stage for home use only, just ignore me.

• Members

you sure the 8,000$ price tag didn't help that one?

Yes, of course, but it certainly didn't help that everyone claimed the $8000 was for a "crappy PC in a box" or that Korg's "insane" for charging that much. As soon as Korg attempted to explain the cost, everyone jumped down their throat instead of actually listening to what they had to say.

The more I learned about the Korg OASYS, the more impressive it became. Same with the V-Piano.

• Members

Yes, actually.

If you want to use the di as a second board on your live rig, do get something else, like a korg X50. If you have two of the same sounding rolands, you have too much overlap in terms of sound.

If you just wanted the di as a live-board and the stage for home use only, just ignore me.

Sorry....I didn't do a good job with my post. My first live board will likely be a Nord of some sort. I'm looking for a second board to get brass, strings, the occasional synth or any other time I need to do two or more sounds on one song. I was thinking that 2nd board could be a Juno Stage or an M50, but the Di could make a lot of sense if the sounds were decent.

I don't currently own a Stage (and, as you said, wouldn't consider buying both a Stage and a Di).

• Members

Yes, of course, but it certainly didn't help that everyone claimed the $8000 was for a "crappy PC in a box" or that Korg's "insane" for charging that much. As soon as Korg attempted to explain the cost, everyone jumped down their throat instead of actually listening to what they had to say.

The more I learned about the Korg OASYS, the more impressive it became. Same with the V-Piano.

maybe that was part of the problem. they put out a boutique product and missed a majority of the market :idk: on the other hand though that doesn't surprise me. those are probably the same people that figure they will just steal the legacy collection and cakewalk or something and if it can't be next to nothing, korg just can't stay relevant in their eyes :idk:

Archived