Another Roland Countdown!

flat earth

• Members

10 points to Roland's marketing department for successfully re-packaging and hyping existing products.

Remember, it's not what you sell, but how you sell it.

Well, they succeded in hyping, but I doubt anyone will buy anything based on it. More likely, they get the opposite effect, as even more people are now disappointed in Roland.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Friggin' Decembrists, Arcade Fire, They Might Be Giants, Tom Waits, etc. are making it harder for us to laugh at this instrument.

I'm married to a New Orleans native. Therefore, there is no room for hate for the accordion in my life.

flower_chenier.gif

Plus, Weird Al's polkas can make the most angsty emo tune fun!! :cool:

• Members

It's hard to express myself regarding this thread ...

Childish, hateful, silly with perhaps a few grains of "truth" ... Can't say I'm overwhelmed by the announcements either ...

... but to make sport out of wounding a major synth company ... seems a little short-sighted for keyboardists/synthesists in general (even if you don't love their current lineup ... )

Some people love their workstations, etc. etc.

Some people even love their Roland workstations, etc. etc.

Try to remember, oh children full of bile, there's more to the world of electronic musical instruments than simply your taste and needs ...

Personally, I wish the 404SX had a small readout that could display the names of samples ... That's my biggest problem with the unit ... Otherwise, I like it quite a bit ...

• Members

What a yawn fest those 10 new products are. Roland is suffering from an identity crisis. I mean, Juno Di?

Its a far cry from the hay days of the Jupiters, D-50, JVs, JXs thats for sure. It doesnt matter, the future of electronic instruments is software based with the exception of real analog hardware. Its just a matter of time when there will be powerful affordable hardware keyboard and rackmount host options for the masses.

Sure there may always be hybrid hardware/software like the Virus, or vintage digital and analog instruments but closed systems like the Fantoms, Motifs and M3s are on their last leg. We are crossing the threshhold of where the CPU processing power can handle a studios worth of soft synths multimbrally in real time like hardware. The big 3 will have to evolve too or they will be left in the dust with lots of demos sitting in store showrooms.

First we had analog hardware circuitry (closed host, non upgradeable)

Next digital circuitry (closed host, non upgradeable)

Digital with hardware card expansion (closed host, non upgradeable with exception to wave and patch)

Digital modeling (closed host)

Digital modeling (closed host, software upgradeable OS)

Software/PC (open host, upgradeable, requires audio, midi, controller, host software, monitor, etc.)

NOW: Software/Dedicated hardware Host Controllers (open host, upgradeable, includes audio, midi, controller, host software, etc.)

Man you said it regarding the days of old compared to now. It's like these companies are no longer TRYING to innovate anymore. Back in the day, EVERY year these companies leapfrogged each other with something killer.

I guess R&D funding ain't what it used to be.

I still disagree with softsynths replacing hardware, at least for live. Bus these companies (ESPECIALLY ROLAND) need to step it up a bit.

And another thing, stop being so stingy with the technology! I don't want to buy 5 of your keyboards to get all the cool stuff. I simply won't do it! Start bundling, at least a LITTLE. The VP-770 is a good start, if a bit awkward a pairing.

The days of a rompler+sequencer+crippled sampler is NO LONGER ENOUGH!

• Members

Man you said it regarding the days of old compared to now. It's like these companies are no longer TRYING to innovate anymore... I still disagree with softsynths replacing hardware, at least for live. Bus these companies (ESPECIALLY ROLAND) need to step it up a bit.

You're not paying attention. There's truly innovative stuff coming out all the time (ESPECIALLY BY ROLAND), but unless it personally interests you, it doesn't receive a second glance.

A: Nothing's innovative!

B: The V-Piano and V-Synth are innovative.

A: But the V-Piano and V-Synth are expensive so I didn't even read about them!

B: There are plenty of synths in your price range that sound great.

A: But they're not innovative!

• Members

It would be fantastic if V-Piano made it into the next Fantom instead of waiting to filter it into the RD series ... (I play V-Piano several times a week, and even though not-so-great monitors, its a pleasure to play ... )

Most people looking at Fabtom are not going to get an RD stage piano ...

Although it could be argued stage piano buyers could be tempted by a V-Piano-powered workstation with a great assortment of other "stage" sounds ...

• Members
It would be fantastic if V-Piano made it into the next Fantom instead of waiting to filter it into the RD series ... (I play V-Piano several times a week, and even though not-so-great monitors, its a pleasure to play ... )

It's gonna be a while, unfortunately. There's a processor in there that does nothing but govern communication between the keys and the sound engine

• Members

That, to my mind, is pretty innovative technology, but all everyone sees is the $6000 price tag. I see the tag, wonder "what the hell'd they put in there?", and read up.

I think you understand that some people don't care what's inside exactly. I don't care about that stuff, I just want it to sound great. If a board can sound great with 8 bit samples and the worst converters and stuff ever, fine with me. Price is a big issue. I'd expect a one-trick-pony that costs three times at much to sound at least three times better than my kurzweil, and I didn't feel that way when I played it. So I'd rather have the Kurz and have the awesome extra sounds for a third of the price, and still have great piano sounds.

Just me though..

Archived