Another Roland Countdown!

flat earth

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The M3 is far superior to the Triton but I didn't get excited about it right away. When I bought it, it felt like another Triton retread. However, when I started to "dive" in, I started to see why it wasn't and how much better it truly was.

Yeah, I got that with the Fantom-G. Aside from the lack of SRX slots that people constantly bemoan, the thing is WORLDS better than the Fantom-X in terms of power, flexibility, sequencer (16 MIDI tracks is f@#$ing worthless!), workflow, ease-of-use, file management... I started listing the notable differences between the X and G and gave up after 150.

And yet everyone insists the G is a re-hash of the X, like that thread on Irish Acts where people insisted the M3 was a rehash. They just have to learn the differences. And appreciate them.

But most recently, I detest the fact that they had this HUGE countdown like they were releasing something as revolutionary as the first automobile just to push more of the same.

I didn't get the impression that Roland was claiming "revolutionary" products, but I agree that the countdown just dares people to not be disappointed. Of course, this is HC:KS&S, so we all knew how it'd turn out. Roland could've cured cancer, and people would still be bitching.

As far as my "20 year grudge," Roland didn't just turn their back on me as a consumer, they slammed the door in my face and told me to take a hike as far as I'm concerned.

That's too bad. Admittedly, I never dealt with Roland as a company before '98 (your experience was... a decade earlier?), when I started selling gear and building studios. Since then, they've been nothing short of a joy to deal with. Korg too.

And it'd be unfair for me to claim to never hate on a company. I can't stand Behringer and will try to talk people out of buying them too.

• Members

I can't stand Behringer and will try to talk people out of buying them too.

Ordinarily I would agree with you on this, but I hate to admit that I think their FCB-1010 and BCR-2000 are actually good products. The BCR-2000 has brought life to many of the 80's gear that was plagued with a single slider for data entry. And I use the FCB-1010 (with UNO mod) in my live setup with no backup. I actually have that much faith in it... knock on wood.

Admittedly, I never dealt with Roland as a company before '98 (your experience was... a decade earlier?), when I started selling gear and building studios. Since then, they've been nothing short of a joy to deal with.

I'm sure if I were more than just a stupid teenager, I would have gotten better treatment. But there was no internet then and they didn't care if they helped me or not. They treated me as if I should be honored to be simply talking to them. I hated that.

If you haven't seen this, THIS is something United Airlines wishes they'd have handled things a little differently - much too late. If you're unfamiliar with the story, you need to read it. It's phenomenal.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

peace...

-Mc

• Members

fr-7x_top.jpg

:facepalm:

:lol:

Somebody out there is buying this. If the original was a total fail like must of us believe, Roland wouldn't make another.

I'm guessing it's the Gypsies, with the money they collect from tourists in Europe. {censored}, they drive all over the continent in caravans with satellite dishes.

• Members

I totally don't understand what was the purpose of this countdown. Make a hyped website to announce a few boring products that no one particularly cares about? The only result they got is that more people laugh at Roland.

The OASYS is what it is, an overly expensive controller and some softsynths.

1. ANY hardware digital synth is a controller and one or more softsynths.

2. "Overly expensive" is subjective, so you cannot say that it IS overly expensive, you can only say that YOU THINK it is overly expensive.

• Members

Yeah, I got that with the Fantom-G. Aside from the lack of SRX slots that people constantly bemoan, the thing is WORLDS better than the Fantom-X in terms of power, flexibility, sequencer (16 MIDI tracks is f@#$ing worthless!), workflow, ease-of-use, file management... I started listing the notable differences between the X and G and gave up after 150.

And yet everyone insists the G is a re-hash of the X, like that thread on Irish Acts where people insisted the M3 was a rehash. They just have to learn the differences. And appreciate them.I didn't get the impression that Roland was claiming "revolutionary" products, but I agree that the countdown just dares people to
not
be disappointed. Of course, this is HC:KS&S, so we all knew how it'd turn out. Roland could've cured cancer, and people would still be bitching.That's too bad. Admittedly, I never dealt with Roland as a company before '98 (your experience was... a decade earlier?), when I started selling gear and building studios. Since then, they've been nothing short of a joy to deal with. Korg too.

And it'd be unfair for me to claim to never hate on a company. I can't stand Behringer and will try to talk people out of buying them too.

Great, now count the new samples in the G.

I stopped counting after comparing 1000 patches from their old instruments and not seeing a single new sample wave... :facepalm:

WTF, Behringer? Its a great company, gives you roland products for less than half the price :lol:

BTW I view oasys as a great fail too... Nuts to spend that much on a rompler with mostly 1 velocity layered patches, even though the other stuff in it is ok I guess. It is so heavy that isnt ideal for live use either, where it could maybe replace some gear so... I dunno.

M3 or M50 is where it is @.

• Members

:lol:

Somebody out there is buying this. If the original was a total fail like must of us believe, Roland wouldn't make another.

I'm guessing it's the Gypsies, with the money they collect from tourists in Europe. {censored}, they drive all over the continent in caravans with satellite dishes.

You have a very good guess! Now have a laugh for a reward, this is what I found:

[YOUTUBE]0uCTJ7hkX-k[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

What a yawn fest those 10 new products are. Roland is suffering from an identity crisis. I mean, Juno Di?

Its a far cry from the hay days of the Jupiters, D-50, JVs, JXs thats for sure. It doesnt matter, the future of electronic instruments is software based with the exception of real analog hardware. Its just a matter of time when there will be powerful affordable hardware keyboard and rackmount host options for the masses.

Sure there may always be hybrid hardware/software like the Virus, or vintage digital and analog instruments but closed systems like the Fantoms, Motifs and M3s are on their last leg. We are crossing the threshhold of where the CPU processing power can handle a studios worth of soft synths multimbrally in real time like hardware. The big 3 will have to evolve too or they will be left in the dust with lots of demos sitting in store showrooms.

First we had analog hardware circuitry (closed host, non upgradeable)

Next digital circuitry (closed host, non upgradeable)

Digital with hardware card expansion (closed host, non upgradeable with exception to wave and patch)

Digital modeling (closed host)

Digital modeling (closed host, software upgradeable OS)

Software/PC (open host, upgradeable, requires audio, midi, controller, host software, monitor, etc.)

NOW: Software/Dedicated hardware Host Controllers (open host, upgradeable, includes audio, midi, controller, host software, etc.)

Yeah, I got that with the Fantom-G. Aside from the lack of SRX slots that people constantly bemoan, the thing is WORLDS better than the Fantom-X in terms of power, flexibility, sequencer (16 MIDI tracks is f@#$ing worthless!), workflow, ease-of-use, file management

That may be true but many people prefer the JV/XV ROM. If you have used JV-XV synths extensively through the years as I have, you simply cant port over all your sounds anymore be it ROM or SRX and if you were brave enough to try it would take months if not longer to do. Thats a deal breaker. I would also much rather have SRX expansion as well as you note.

I suppose you could have both if you have the room and $$$. I just assume go with something completely different.

One of the biggest issues I had with Fantom G is also the "sound". Its just way too bright and over eq'ed compared to past instruments. I noticed it right away.

• Members

10 points to Roland's marketing department for successfully re-packaging and hyping existing products.

Remember, it's not what you sell, but how you sell it.

I do like the look of the new V-Drum V-Pro. Sort of reminds me of Prince when Sheena E. was in his band.

Archived