SS Posse!!!

Shask

• Members

A free violent car wash. Cool. :)

I'm going to use JFETs and MOSFETs. I've just heard too many clips of pedals done like that (played through ss amps no less) which sound surprisingly good that I can't ignore the possibility I might come up with something (god forbid?) possibly as good as a tube preamp. Yeah, worst case scenario is that I end up with some kickass pedal or something. Best case scenario, maybe I'll start moving towards ss. I have to say, preamp tubes piss me off more than anything. I'm so sick of dealing with noisy/bad preamp tubes, which as I recall are supposed to last many times longer than output tubes. :rolleyes: If preamp tubes were consistent and reliable (in various brands too), I probably wouldn't be thinking of this.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ive breadboarded a few Mosfet, and Fet based ODs in the past. More of the simple 1 and 2 stages ones, and they instantly sounded better to me than many mass produced pedals. More open and transparent.

Of course if you want the compression....

Ive always thought about making the more complicated ones, in a permanent box..

• Members
Originally posted by JamesPeters

I'm really looking forward to this. I have a few things to get done first, but I'm guessing this will end up being another "ongoing project" for a while to see just how good I can get the results to be.

James. your an Exodus fan right?

When designing your SS preamp, think Tempo of the Damned!!!!

:thu:

I know it's tube but you guys are doing awesome things with SS these days!!!!!:D

• Members
Originally posted by gunslinger

James. your an Exodus fan right?

When designing your SS preamp, think Tempo of the Damned!!!!

:thu:

I know it's tube but you guys are doing awesome things with SS these days!!!!!
:D

Well, I got that sound using a Bad Monkey boosting the WarHawk design (turning the gain down on the amp somewhat and using the pedal to make up for it), so I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility. Also, when the gain on the amp is turned down a bit, it gets Fabulous Disaster sounds quite well.

Keep in mind Exodus is notorious for using ss boost pedals, sometimes two in a row in front of a JCM800.

I hope I can pull this off in ss form. If so, I'd probably go PCB and see how reasonably priced I could make it.

• Members

I got caught outside in golf ball sized hail like that a couple years ago...on my bicycle.
:freak:
Fortunately it didn't last very long; I had to get off the bike and find shelter under a tree and cover my head with my arms. I was crouched down in a ball. There was no shelter, since I was on an unpaved road in the middle of nowhere. I had red marks all over my arms, legs and back from the deal. I was laughing while the hail was pelting me actually. What a ridiculous situation to be in.
:)
Anyway I hope your truck didn't depreciate too much...

So am I nuts or what? Gonna start making solid state versions of my designs to see what sounds they come up with. Maybe just preamps first.

I'll buy one if they rule.

• Members
Originally posted by HELSTRUME

I'll buy one if they rule.

I'll see what I can do. :) I don't know where the price will be, or whether I'm going to bother making a poweramp section or what. The general idea is to make a channel switching preamp in any case.

• Members

I never really liked Tempo of the Damned tone...

Good album, but the tone is terrible.

Kinda like old In Flames... and Dark Tranquillity, and Pantera..

I saw Avenged Sevenfold with Beth yesterday. I later found out they were using Ubers... I dont really care about having an Uber anymore. I was never very impressed with their tone. I mean it's good, it's just... not what I'm after.

I wonder if a Laney GH50L sounds huge... I want something that sounds huge and pissed off. 5150-style... but different.

I'd get another 5150 if I didn't feel stupid about having 2 identical amps. I might as well get something different and still the same kind of tone I want, maybe just from another angle.

The JSX is just too expensive...

But then again, at this point I'm 70% leaning toward a Single/Dual Rectifier, and 30% leaning toward the Laney.

I've got $330 in the bank too... opened my first bank account yesterday.
Neat.
;)

And this next paycheck is going to be huge. 40 hours last week and 18 already this week. I got to work tomorrow and Tuesday still. ;)

If I can get 30 hours... that'll be 70 hours times 6.00/hr.... $420... Maybe I'll get $350 out of it... :eek: That's gonna be like halfway to a Recto for me. :eek:

Still debating whether or not I'll go ahead and get my 5150 retubed before I get the Recto... those tubes are OLD... I got it retubed like 2 years ago. :eek:

Of course, I may just end up getting the Laney and saving some money.

But I just have that feeling that if I save up and get the Recto, I wont always be wondering "Man, I sure do like this Laney, but damn I wonder if I'd like a Recto better..."

I figure it's one of them things where I'll be happier if I'm patient.

besides, if i dont like it, I can always sell it and get the Laney later. The Laney is a lot easier to save up for a than a Rectifier.

But I started on nu-metal, and I still like that pissed off angry recto tone... I just have a feeling I'm gonna be running an SD-1 into it all the time. But if it's got that pissed off tone I always hear out of them, I'll be satisfied. If I could get tone like Sad But True/Black Album tone.... I'd be happy.

And I've always preferred darker tones, so I wonder if maybe the Laney would be too Marshally, but people say it's dark ,but then they say it's marshally... so that leaves me rather... :confused:

And the JSX seems like an amp that would sound really clear and liquidy and smooth. Good, but not raunchy and huge, you know?

• Members

The sound on TOTD works. I actually like some of the sound from SHKM, although it's a bit twangy and bright.

In any case, I'm not nailing the sound 100%. My guitars are very different, I'm not even trying to go for their production style, etc.--what I get is a "real version" of their sound that I can deal with, that sounds great to me. Less sizzle in the mids, warmer, but cuts and "chugs" the same, very similar overall timbre. It's close enough that people think it's the same sound. For that matter, I never nail any sound of any recording 100%...except my own recordings. :) And then, only in the recordings because the sound isn't 100% identical in the room.

Pantera never sounded like TOTD though. Very different. I think it's time to get a haircut, because your hair is apparently growing over your ears and blocking your ability to hear properly. :)

Funny you should mention Sad But True. With my red Yamaha (AES420 with Dimarzio Super Distortion) through the WarHawk with the gain about 2/3, it can get a sound that's eerily close.

• Members

DB, the Laney is definitely "British", it's just a touch darker and more evil sounding than your typical Marshall tone. Not as smooth, more rough/harsh. Now it might sound more Marshally with the EL34s, the amp I used to play through at the store had 6L6s.

The GH is also pretty damn open sounding, and loud as a bitch. I remember it still sounding metal as {censored} with the mids on like 6.

The one I'm hopfully snagging has the 34's also, but I might swap them out depending on if I like the amp that way. :freak: I also might change out the speakers in my cab, depending. I'd like to try an X pattern can, with maybe some Eminence GB12s and V12s... Might be cool.

• Members

When I saw Exodus year before last I got to meet Gary he said that they recorded Tempo (and most of the other Exodus albums) with a Todd Langner Modded 100 watt JMP, straight in, and used a TS9 to boost for solos......But they were using the XXX live on the Crunch channel with th TS9 for a boost......

FWIW.

Gary was a NICE guy, got to buy him a beer and hang out for a little while..

Wouldnt sell me his JMP :mad::D

• Members

I'll see what I can do.
I don't know where the price will be, or whether I'm going to bother making a poweramp section or what. The general idea is to make a channel switching preamp in any case.

Just do a basic preamp with like clean and gain.

• Members
Originally posted by DirtyBird

I never really liked Tempo of the Damned tone...

Good album, but the tone is terrible.

Kinda like old In Flames... and Dark Tranquillity, and Pantera..

I saw Avenged Sevenfold with Beth yesterday. I later found out they were using Ubers... I dont really care about having an Uber anymore. I was never very impressed with their tone. I mean it's good, it's just... not what I'm after.

I wonder if a Laney GH50L sounds huge... I want something that sounds huge and pissed off. 5150-style... but different.

I'd get another 5150 if I didn't feel stupid about having 2 identical amps. I might as well get something different and still the same kind of tone I want, maybe just from another angle.

The JSX is just too expensive...

But then again, at this point I'm 70% leaning toward a Single/Dual Rectifier, and 30% leaning toward the Laney.

I've got $330 in the bank too... opened my first bank account yesterday.

Neat.

;)

And this next paycheck is going to be huge. 40 hours last week and 18 already this week. I got to work tomorrow and Tuesday still.
;)

If I can get 30 hours... that'll be 70 hours times 6.00/hr.... $420... Maybe I'll get $350 out of it...
:eek:
That's gonna be like halfway to a Recto for me.

Still debating whether or not I'll go ahead and get my 5150 retubed before I get the Recto... those tubes are OLD... I got it retubed like 2 years ago.

Of course, I may just end up getting the Laney and saving some money.

But I just have that feeling that if I save up and get the Recto, I wont always be wondering "Man, I sure do like this Laney, but damn I wonder if I'd like a Recto better..."

I figure it's one of them things where I'll be happier if I'm patient.

besides, if i dont like it, I can always sell it and get the Laney later. The Laney is a lot easier to save up for a than a Rectifier.

But I started on nu-metal, and I still like that pissed off angry recto tone... I just have a feeling I'm gonna be running an SD-1 into it all the time. But if it's got that pissed off tone I always hear out of them, I'll be satisfied. If I could get tone like Sad But True/Black Album tone.... I'd be happy.

And I've always preferred darker tones, so I wonder if maybe the Laney would be too Marshally, but people say it's dark ,but then they say it's marshally... so that leaves me rather...
:confused:

And the JSX seems like an amp that would sound really clear and liquidy and smooth. Good, but not raunchy and huge, you know?

I like the 5150 II tons better. I want a really heavy Marshall like sound next. The Laney GH are on the Marshall side.

• Members

Well, I got that sound using a Bad Monkey boosting the WarHawk design (turning the gain down on the amp somewhat and using the pedal to make up for it), so I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility. Also, when the gain on the amp is turned down a bit, it gets Fabulous Disaster sounds quite well.

And you made fun of me for using OD pedals :o

I always think it adds a certain something you cant get alone...

• Members

I'll see what I can do.
I don't know where the price will be, or whether I'm going to bother making a poweramp section or what. The general idea is to make a channel switching preamp in any case.

You could probably come up with soem interesting stuff.

So are you gonna try to do High Gain, or Clean, or more like boost circuits? or all of the above :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by DirtyBird

I still think you would like a Recto. Esp with EMGs and a Boost pedal.

The Recto and 5150 are pretty similar in many aspects, so I think you would like it. SImilar, but darker, and bigger sounding.

Im not sure if you would like a Laney or not. Its going to be brighter, and fuzzier. Not a huge low end.

• Members

Pantera never sounded like TOTD though. Very different. I think it's time to get a haircut, because your hair is apparently growing over your ears and blocking your ability to hear properly.

Funny you should mention Sad But True. With my red Yamaha (AES420 with Dimarzio Super Distortion) through the WarHawk with the gain about 2/3, it can get a sound that's eerily close.

Pantera always sound different from anything else, if you really sit an A/B. I listened to some older ones again recently, and everytime, its still like whoa.. at how different it is. Everytime I wanna sell my Randall, I pop that in, and am happy again, lol.

I dont know if a Recto would do a good Sad But True either. I think my Mark III might do OK. Actually, I need to rip that one on to my Computer, so I can mess with it. I got MOP and AJFA on here. of course, I can get AJFA dead on, with my EMGs. MOP is a bit odd, and not as easy to get.

Oh James, last time I was in GC a month or 2 ago, they had a few of those Yamahas. I picked one up for 10-20 seconds. It seemed to feel alright, but does tend to have that Lep paul type feel to it. Im not sure if I would like that or not...

• Members

Originally posted by Toshiro

DB, the Laney is definitely "British", it's just a touch darker and more evil sounding than your typical Marshall tone. Not as smooth, more rough/harsh. Now it might sound more Marshally with the EL34s, the amp I used to play through at the store had 6L6s.

I tend to remember it being bright and fuzzy, and then you dial it back to get the fuzz out, and then its dark.

• Members

Originally posted by HELSTRUME

I like the 5150 II tons better. I want a really heavy Marshall like sound next. The Laney GH are on the Marshall side.

Ive been liking dark lately, but still want a brighter Marshall type thing sometime.

• Members

Pantera never sounded like TOTD though. Very different. I think it's time to get a haircut, because your hair is apparently growing over your ears and blocking your ability to hear properly.

I was comparing them in the sense that I like their music but I find their tone terrible. Not that their terrible tones were in any way similar.

And in case you didn't know. I do wear hearing aids. I was born 6 weeks premature and the end result is me being born with bad hearing.

I have something like 60-70% of normal hearing.

• Members

That sucks for htat guy who had straplocks on his LP and the headstock broke AND the body cracked....

Reminds me of some bull{censored} Mark (my bassist with the Marshall 50 Watt JMP and several retarded "nuggets of wisdom"...) told me a while back.

I caught my guitar once as it was falling off the stand, no biggie, i bumped it and was anticipating it.

But Mark was like "ahha, good thing you caught it. Me and Jason(another local guy, he's cool usually, not nearly as much of a pompous asshole as mark is) were just talking the other day about how a fall for an Ibaenz will snap that thing right in half. That Gibson Jason has... heh, he doesn't have to worry about it."

As if Gibson makes indestructible guitars compared to Ibanez...

And I'm sitting here thinking... I walked onto the neck of my Ibanez (The RG100) one night when it was dark in my room, and Gibsons are NOTORIOUS for the headstocks breaking off when they fall.

I told him that but he just sorta blew it off the way local musician folklorists tend to do. :rolleyes:

I'd put money on an Ibanez to survive a blow to the headstock if it came down to Ibanez vs Gibson.

That man just loves to bash Ibanez every chance he gets, and he talks up Gibson and Fender all the time. And the funniest part, he plays a sub -$200 Rogue beatle bass thing... That's his main guitar. a Rogue...

Archived