SS Posse!!!

Shask

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by DirtyBird

Scott I get on AIM and MSN from time to time... I go back and forth.

Coincidentally, you're the only person I talk to on MSN these days.

Ive heard that a few times :p

Maybe I should log Trillian in more often, lol..

• Members

Hmmm well I just decided that I won't be getting another amp for a while.

I think I will just retube the 5150, and get a Peavey Classic power amp for the rockmaster as a backup rig, and then get a Marshall 1960 cab, and then get a Laney GH50L one day later on....

James convinced me that I dont need a recto. :o

• Members
Originally posted by Shask

James who?

I dont think you really NEED a Recto, lol. But I think you would like one. Hell, in some ways, I think that if you got one, your 5150 would become your backup...

Don't encourage him. :) If you really want to help, make him a Dr. Boogey pedal he can run into his clean channel. :) He might actually really like that...

I convinced him to not get a DR, or at least to seriously think about it, because if he's going to college soon money won't come easy. And he has a very good amp that suits his needs (and sounds similar enough to a DR that he shouldn't feel he's missing out on that much).

I've been dirt poor when I've gone to college and even when you think you have no expenses, something always comes up.

• Members

YOU huh? ;)

Ive actually said before I didnt know why he wanted a second amp already, just getting a job, and all the months of saving it would take.

BUT, if he REALLY wanted it, then I think he would like a DR :p

• Members

I wish someone who went to college had given me the same bit of advice, because I spent too much money beforehand and within months I was looking to sell stuff. If he didn't have a good amp already, I probably wouldn't have said anything because I know that situation too well.

I did recommend he consider some different boost pedals to get some different vibe from his current setup though. And he told me he wants to try new tubes, so I gave him a recommendation or two in that regard.

• Members

When I was in college, I would mostly buy things during the summer, then trade them during the school year.

Of course, I mostly did cheaper rack stuff then. Rockmaster, MP-1, Mesa Studio, etc.. I couldnt have afforded to buy a whole amp at once, lol. I did have a Peavey Combo though for awhile.

Yeah, different boost pedels help. I need more and more of them :p I think also, if he had a non-Ibanez/EMG guitar, that would make some diversity.

• Members

Well Scott, I've got my Basswood RG with an 81 in the bridge, and then I have my mahogany RG with a DUncan JB in it.

THat's about as big of a difference among RG's as you can expect to find. ;)

I just ahve a thing for RG's...

I want a mahogany carved top Soloist with EMG's...

but I'm set for guitars. I dont need another guitar. The JB and 520 sound TONS better through that rockmaster than the EMG 470 with basswood.

I dont know, I've always liked Recto tone so much... makes me wonder if I'd enjoy one more. I have these dreams of getting another 2x12, and running the 5150 into one, and the recto into the other...

But you know, they probably are pretty similar.

I think I want something a little tighter than the 5150, though. But the recto is NOT tighter, it's just got this attitude I love. But I could easily put an SD-1 in front of hte 5150 and make it tighter. But I dont know.

Either way... I wonder how much a cap job would improve that on my 5150. I mean it's a little long in the tooth I'm sure. At least 10 years old at this point. And then those JJ's in there are OLD. WAAAY overdue.

Is it just me, or have tube prices gone up? :confused:

Anyway, Scott, I just found out that Jeff Loomis used a Mesa Mk IV on The Politics of Ecstasy. I changed my mind about not liking them. :cool:

And I always thought hte low end of the rockmaster reminded me very, very much of TPoE. So since you have/had both, how do you compare them?

And instead of getting another amp, I decided I'm just gonna get a Peavey Classic power amp somewhere... so I can have a rockmaster rig as a backup.

• Members

But oh well, my to buy list changed from:

Dual/Single Recto - ~$1000

To:

Quad of SED 6l6's ~$70
2 Chinese C9s ~ $18
Weber Biasrite ~ $120
Peavey Classic ~$300

Doesn't seem like I'm really saving that much money in the short term... :o And I can definitely see myself getting another cabinet. :rolleyes:

• Members

Heh... you guys wouldnt believe the last two cd's I bought.... :o

I just wanted to listen to somethng different, ended up with Godsmack - Awake and The Black Album.

Sully, the singer for Godsmack, I think is really talented...

Guitar is boring though. Tone aint bad, though...

Apparently Sully writes most of the actual music for that band too. I found that interesting.

Also, I was playing the 5150 today... in my house. For hte first time in a few weeks.

God... it sounds so good. I wonder if the concrete floor at our rehearsal space makes it sound like ass?

Either way I can never really stand in front of it or anything anyway there, so Im alwys in some awkward position relative to my cab. Sounds good anyway, though.

But jeez it sounded good tonight. I was rawkin out. :cool:

• Members

But oh well, my to buy list changed from:

Dual/Single Recto - ~$1000

To:

Quad of SED 6l6's ~$70

2 Chinese C9s ~ $18

Weber Biasrite ~ $120

Peavey Classic ~$300

Doesn't seem like I'm really saving that much money in the short term...
:o
And I can definitely see myself getting another cabinet.
:rolleyes:

Your math is wrong. :)

Whether you'd get the recto or not, you still want those other things. Keep that in mind and you'll feel much better about your decision.

And yes, concrete floors are not my friend either.

• Members

But you know, they probably are pretty similar.

I think I want something a little tighter than the 5150, though. But the recto is NOT tighter, it's just got this attitude I love. But I could easily put an SD-1 in front of hte 5150 and make it tighter. But I dont know.

Either way... I wonder how much a cap job would improve that on my 5150. I mean it's a little long in the tooth I'm sure. At least 10 years old at this point. And then those JJ's in there are OLD. WAAAY overdue.

Is it just me, or have tube prices gone up?
:confused:

My 5150 got WAY tight after retubing it. I dont even use an OD pedal with it anymore, unless I use the low input (Which is basically what it used to sound like on the high input).

• Members

Anyway, Scott, I just found out that Jeff Loomis used a Mesa Mk IV on The Politics of Ecstasy. I changed my mind about not liking them.
:cool:

And I always thought hte low end of the rockmaster reminded me very, very much of TPoE. So since you have/had both, how do you compare them?

And instead of getting another amp, I decided I'm just gonna get a Peavey Classic power amp somewhere... so I can have a rockmaster rig as a backup.

I remember when I had the first Rockmaster, and the first Mesa Studio preamp, I thought if you pushed in the mid knob, and turned it around +3, it sounded similar to the Mesa preamp, just not as 'big' sounding.

I think you wouldnt mind Mark series if the middle slider wasnt all the way at the bottom. It dont get that weird sucked, hollow sound until its like 1/8" away from the bottom.

You could always sell the Rockmaster, and get a Mesa Studio Preamp :idea: Im not sure what they go for nowdays though...

• Members

Originally posted by Toshiro

Well, some idiot on ebay with a used GH50L thinks it's worth almost new pricing. BIN is $700 with $30 shipping..... Damn {censored}ing moron. lol

Id rather get a new one...

• Members
Originally posted by Shask

He'll probably just say quit being an asshole
:o

Heh. Oh well, feel sorry for anyone that buys that thing used for what a new one costs. There's store in Lauderdale selling them for $740 shipped brand new, course I'd have to pay tax, but still... lol

If the guy would drop it to $450-500 I'd buy it from him though, stupidity or not. lol

Archived