SS Posse!!!

Shask

• Members

Ive knocked my Ibanez over a few times, and it was fine.

I think it would be fairly safe, unless it fell right on the back of the neck extrememly hard. fortuantly, the way mine usually fall, its right down on the strings, and not on the back...

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by DirtyBird

That sucks for htat guy who had straplocks on his LP and the headstock broke AND the body cracked....

Yeah, it must have hit just right to cause that much damage. It is hard to beleive though, and definitely sucks...

• Members
Originally posted by Shask

Yeah, it must have hit just right to cause that much damage. It is hard to beleive though, and definitely sucks...

But I'm always hearing about Les Pauls where hte headstock got cracked off. Apparently their truss rod adjustment hole is way too big.

I mean I'd love to have one one day, but it just pisses me off when ignorant dumbasses come up telling me how fragile my Ibanez is, and how their Gibson would never break if dropped, when I know for a fact Gibsons are NOTORIOUS for htat.

:mad:

He always has something derogatory to say about my gear. :rolleyes: I actually use mids and treble in my tone, he prefers mud, he wants a lead bassist I suppose. :rolleyes:

• Members

Well, hes just an idiot. Youve proven that many times :o

I dont know about the truss rod hole. Id say its more just the angle, and size of the headstocks. A big squarish headstock will break easier than a more narrow one.

Also remember, any bolt-on you dont hear about it as much, because its fixable :o

• Members

I was comparing them in the sense that I like their music but I find their tone terrible. Not that their terrible tones were in any way similar.

Ah, I see.

And in case you didn't know. I do wear hearing aids. I was born 6 weeks premature and the end result is me being born with bad hearing.

I have something like 60-70% of normal hearing.

I didn't know that. Sorry if I offended you.

• Members

Also remember, any bolt-on you dont hear about it as much, because its fixable
:o

I know a few people who've had their Ibanez headstocks snap off, and I've seen similar "horror stories" on the net a number of times. Then again, I've seen just as many Gibson "horror stories" of the same nature. I think most guitars are prone to this sort of thing if they're hit just the right way with just enough force, and it's "one of those things" you can't seem to predict.

• Members

Oh James, last time I was in GC a month or 2 ago, they had a few of those Yamahas. I picked one up for 10-20 seconds. It seemed to feel alright, but does tend to have that Lep paul type feel to it. Im not sure if I would like that or not...

Yeah, they do have some similar aspects. I don't mind them though. Although sometimes it's nice to pick up the Pacifica instead, since its neck is slimmer and it weighs less too.

So are you gonna try to do High Gain, or Clean, or more like boost circuits? or all of the above

First I'll see what I can do in terms of a high gain preamp (hopefully something very similar to the most aggressive/metal one I make), since that'll tell the tale of whether I should continue with this idea or not. (Cleans IMO are easier with solid state; I've never had problems getting decent clean sounds with ss gear.) Then if it's successful, I'll consider the format of a channel switching preamp to build. Definitely something with that high gain channel and a good clean channel, but as for exactly what features that's something else to consider.

Boost circuits are a distinct possibility too.

In any case I don't expect to be able to compete with the prices of most other ss gear, so it won't be cheap. But it will have to be reasonable at least. No one wants to spend $2000 on a solid state amp. :D

• Members
Originally posted by JamesPeters

First I'll see what I can do in terms of a high gain preamp (hopefully something very similar to the most aggressive/metal one I make), since that'll tell the tale of whether I should continue with this idea or not. (Cleans IMO are easier with solid state; I've never had problems getting decent clean sounds with ss gear.) Then if it's successful, I'll consider the format of a channel switching preamp to build. Definitely something with that high gain channel and a good clean channel, but as for exactly what features that's something else to consider.

Boost circuits are a distinct possibility too.

In any case I don't expect to be able to compete with the prices of most other ss gear, so it won't be cheap. But it will have to be reasonable at least. No one wants to spend $2000 on a solid state amp.
:D

Yeah, thats a big reason not to do a whole SS amp.

Well high gain could be cool. lets see what you get ;) Ive always wondered why there wasnt more homebuilt metal type pedals. The complexity I guess. Its gonna take several stages to do it right.

• Members

Well, what fun, more Tornado storms coming tongiht... this has been like 3 times a week this last month...

Awesome.

Yeah, thats a big reason not to do a whole SS amp.

Well high gain could be cool. lets see what you get
;)
Ive always wondered why there wasnt more homebuilt metal type pedals. The complexity I guess. Its gonna take several stages to do it right.

Yeah, people trying to do 4+ stages in a pedal are having all kinds of problems. It's like trying to build an amp like an SLO in the size of an average toaster--unless they have the benefit of experience with high gain circuits (knowing how to reduce the space while avoiding noise problems), problems will happen.

Making a poweramp might not be worthwhile for me, since there are some ss poweramps out there which work quite and are priced pretty low. And some people might want to just get a preamp anyway; maybe they already own a poweramp (or an amp they can use for their poweramp section). I'll have to think about that, and possibly try some ss poweramps to see how good they really are.

• Members

Man, I think I need more sleep before posting... Yeah, not dark, bright. lol The Laney is bright. Not Crate Stealth ice-pick to the forehead bright, but bright none-the-less.

Any guitar can break like that at the headstock, just angled ones without a volute are more common to break there. Usually Ibanez's will snap along the locking nut bolts or scarf joint, where a Gibson will go right behind the nut, near the tuners. I've seen lots of Ibanezs with stress cracks there, but not as many broken headstocks as Gibsons. The weight of the guitar will have a factor in how bad a break you get from it falling, with heavy {censored} like a Les Paul almost always going snap.

• Members
Originally posted by Toshiro

The weight of the guitar will have a factor in how bad a break you get from it falling, with heavy {censored} like a Les Paul almost always going snap.

It gains more velocity heading towards the ground :p

• Members

I think a power amp also will add a lot of cost. Thats where more money comes from. To build a preamp, or pedal basically, its not that bad...

There's definitely time/labor and parts cost to consider. Also if it's just a preamp, I can have it powered by an external transformer; that makes it more easily adaptable to being used in different countries. It also means less liabilty on my part, not having to worry about the poweramp failing. :p

I should grab a Crate Powerblock and try it with the preamp I come up with. Talk about a cheap/good sounding solid state poweramp, there you go.

• Members

Ive never messed with that Crate thing much. I know it sounded much like the middle channel on the GLX amps. That, and its much bigger than I thought it would be...

It does cleans and classic OD stuff quite nicely in its own way, much better than I thought. It also functions as a poweramp if you want it to. And it is small and light--I'm not sure what you were expecting man, because for what it is, it's the smallest I'd have ever expected. :)

So James, I think you went through this recently, what do you hear going from a 500T, to a Duncan Custom?

500T's treble is a bit smoother sounding. Same general aggression. 500T has higher output, so you have to be a bit more careful with pickup height (and possibly the volume control on your guitar, depending). For the most part it's hard to tell the difference between the two pickups; they're very similar.

• Members

I dumped Beth tonight.

Long story, and I'm kinda bummed.

Basically I gave her one last chance to get her {censored} together and fix things, and gave her nearly a week to do it.

And guess what, she didn't do it.

So I told her goodbye and now I'm single. :(

• Members
Originally posted by JamesPeters

If he were a forumite here that I knew of, I'd point out how he's asking for trouble with his lead dress.
:)
Not a huge issue to fix, but it should be taken care of.

I found that through the forum. Interesting pedal, I hadnt seen it before. I found quite a bit of resources on it after I posted that though...

Archived