So I Played a Herbert Today at GC

TexasDeathRide

• Members
Originally posted by Rufus Leaking

Yup
:D

Well, then, where are those quotes?

:D

I think you're misinterpreting my challenges to the claims made by an obviously misinformed individual that the Diezel build quality is not world class as dogma regarding tone. That's not the case at all. The former is objective, the latter is not, in most cases.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Originally posted by juby

seriously.....ive said this before on here, ONE AMP IN CANADA PLEASE? you have a dealer with no amps
:confused:
in the hills of quebec

ive wanted a herbert as long as i can remember (which idnt really all that long, but whatever)

Werd.

I'll try this again...

PETER, CALLING MORE DIEZEL AMPS TO CANADA PLEASE!

• Members
Originally posted by vidnotlaw

I believe that is who I spoke with. That is Salwender International, correct? I am pretty sure that is the place I had called. I never actually purchased the upgrade, I only spoke with them about it.

Please don't get me wrong... you build great amps!!! It just wasn;t the sound for me at the time I was using it. Who knows, maybe some day I'll buy another Diezel! I have yet to hear the VH4 or the newer stuff like the Einstein.

I am not sure if what I call 'sizzle' is the same thing as high end buzz! Take for instance the Marshall JCM 2000 that I had. Too me that was a VERY buzzy amp. I did not care for it much at all. And that amp has a very muddy low too me as well! The others amps that I own have 'sizzle' but I would not relate it to high end buzz.

Everybody has a different tone in there head and if an amp they find makes that tone come to life... THAT is all that matters!

Take care,

Vid

Thanks ;)

• Members
Originally posted by cloudnine

Peter, I opened up my Diezel and there was nothing but swiss cheese and low-grade beluga caviar in there
we need more Diezels in Canada
, whats up?

:thu:

i think i'll stumble upon the meaning of life sooner than getting to play a herbert tho :( or even hearing back from the best customer service in the world or whatever....its prolly true if you already spent the 4100 american tho :cry: or atleast one would hope so...

• Members
Originally posted by cloudnine

Werd.

I'll try this again...

PETER, CALLING MORE DIEZEL AMPS TO CANADA PLEASE!

Yes. Back to work, you. I need a damn amp! Gather more worker elves and send me a Herbert!

...but point taken that one mans sizzle is another man's buzz, one mans "organic" is anothers "flubby". Eric Johnson has great tone but I wouldn't want to play speed metal with it. Its all subjective.

• Members
Originally posted by Ed DeGenaro

Holdsworth?

Haven't heard Holdsworth play one. Any published recordings where it is known he used a Recto? Maybe he had Trace mod his too? ;) Maybe they're incredibly picky about speakers/cabs? Maybe the "Series II" improvements fixed what I always hated about them? Hey, I'm open-minded...

• Members
Originally posted by Aineias

I haven't read this whole thread; so my apologies if this has already been raised.

It ought to be pretty obvious, but a large portion of that Diezel's massive price tag comes from the fact that it's imported from Germany, rather than made in the US like the Boogies. Here in the UK, Diezel gear costs less than a Road King and not much more than a Triple Recto.

Bringing my Boogie Mark III over to the UK and changing it's transformer (for UK mains) would have doubled the price of the amp had it been a stock Mark III (the extra for the C+ Mod means that total costs have been about 1.6x the price I paid Danjovi for it).

In Europe, we get screwed on Boogie prices perhaps it's poetic justice that Diezel gear in the US is about 1.5x what we would pay for it in Europe.

So, ask yourselves - if you take the import duty from the proice of the Herbert (I'm not familiar with US law so I don't know the exact calue), THEN is it worth the asking price?

I think a lot more of you would say yes. Alternatively, simply consider that ytou get Boogie's for about half the price we do here - so if you were in Europe, would you go with a Boogie or a Diezel?

I suspect Salwender takes a pretty big cut too...that's another layer which does not exist for American-made amps.

• Members
Originally posted by Snider

There are lots of guys who have had good sounds from the Rectos.

+1

I get plenty of good sounds from mine... and I don't mean numetal or heavily downtuned sloppy chugging chordwork.

Remember there was a time when George Lynch, John Petrucci, Michael Wilton (Queensryche), James/Kirk (Metallica) used these amps... and all these guys had no trouble dialing in some killer tones.

• Members
Originally posted by scott_335

Jesus Christ! It is an amp. dont be fanboys.

Honestly, it's not about that. I get people that tell me all the time they like my marshall better than my diezel. No biggie. It's just that when someone slanders the quality of a piece- NO MATTER WHO MAKES IT... well then, lets just stick with that now.

I hear a lot of "comparisons" between Diezel and Boogie.... I'll tell you first hand that there is no way my Diezel's PCB is going to warp under heat and stress like my recto did. I love boogie, but its just a comparison.

Once again- its not about the tonal opinion. Just the reliability facts. I would NEVER get upset because someone else has a different opinion on tone than I do. Thats why there are so many great products to begin with!!

S.

• Members
Originally posted by Snider

Scott Henderson (Tremoverb) sounded good too!

There are lots of guys who have had good sounds from the Rectos.

Well, the T-Verb is a bit of an exception. My bandmate had one and got great tones out of it too, but it sounded completely different than the Dual Rectifiers of the late 90's I've played. As for Petrucci, I never like his tone either. Great shredder, but his tone never impressed me. Like I said, maybe the Series 2 units are much better.

• Members
Originally posted by Wizard of Ozz

+1

I get plenty of good sounds from mine... and I don't mean numetal or heavily downtuned sloppy chugging chordwork.

Remember there was a time when George Lynch, John Petrucci, Michael Wilton (Queensryche), James/Kirk (Metallica) used these amps... and all these guys had no trouble dialing in some killer tones.

Always hated Metallica and Petrucci tone. Lynch has a way of extracting good to great tone out of anything, but I don't follow him so can't connect what I've heard to what amp he was playing at the time. I know he switches it up constantly.

And, BTW, somebody mentioned Foo Fighters using DRs, but the Budda site has a link to one of their official CD releases claiming they used an SD-80. So, when talking about these bands and their great tones on any given tune, I think you gotta' be careful. Most of these bands line up a studio full of amps and use different ones on different parts, as well as playing multiples simultaneously.

• Members
Originally posted by steve10358

Honestly, it's not about that. I get people that tell me all the time they like my marshall better than my diezel. No biggie. It's just that when someone slanders the quality of a piece- NO MATTER WHO MAKES IT... well then, lets just stick with that now.

I hear a lot of "comparisons" between Diezel and Boogie.... I'll tell you first hand that there is no way my Diezel's PCB is going to warp under heat and stress like my recto did. I love boogie, but its just a comparison.

Once again- its not about the tonal opinion. Just the reliability facts. I would NEVER get upset because someone else has a different opinion on tone than I do. Thats why there are so many great products to begin with!!

S.

Well, that's what I was originally trying to say...

• Members
Originally posted by maz_master

Haven't heard Holdsworth play one. Any published recordings where it is known he used a Recto? Maybe he had Trace mod his too?
;)
Maybe they're incredibly picky about speakers/cabs? Maybe the "Series II" improvements fixed what I always hated about them? Hey, I'm open-minded...

There were pics of Holdsworth and his Rectos and settings in magazines before any of this modding bs.

If I put up audio of Reeves Gabrials absolutely crushing thru an early Dual Recto stack, it's anything BUT buzzy.

• Members
Originally posted by Def_Pearl_Pilot

That's why your amps rock. I HATE sizzle in amps.

I just want to make sure that I am not being misunderstood:

For me... sizzle does not equal buzz. I can't stand a buzzy sound. Sizzle is hard to explain. I would have to have a Herbert and another amp side by side and you would have to hear what I was calling sizzle. It's 'bite' and slaps you in the face. The only clip that I have heard on these forums (at least that come to mind righ tnow) that sounded like it had some great sizzle to it was a clip of a Splawn Quick Rod. Man that amps sounds like it just SMACKS you right in the face!!

The Diezel sounded like it has a very compressed high end to me. :confused: Like a blanket over it. Other than that is was a SPECTACULAR amp!!!

Take care,

Vid

• Members
Originally posted by vidnotlaw

I just want to make sure that I am not being misunderstood:

For me... sizzle does not equal buzz. I can't stand a buzzy sound. Sizzle is hard to explain. I would have to have a Herbert and another amp side by side and you would have to hear what I was calling sizzle. It's 'bite' and slaps you in the face. The only clip that I have heard on these forums (at least that come to mind righ tnow) that sounded like it had some great sizzle to it was a clip of a Splawn Quick Rod. Man that amps sounds like it just SMACKS you right in the face!!

The Diezel sounded like it has a very compressed high end to me.
Like a blanket over it. Other than that is was a SPECTACULAR amp!!!

Take care,

Vid

Those were my findings with the Herbert as well and why I sold it after just a few weeks. To my ears the amp lacks upper mid presence.... plenty of nice tight low end and smooth high end, but it lacked body. I kept turning up the presence, mids, treble and it still always felt like something was missing to me.

Great amp and extremely well made though!

• Members
Originally posted by carlygtr56

There were pics of Holdsworth and his Rectos and settings in magazines before any of this modding bs.

If I put up audio of Reeves Gabrials absolutely crushing thru an early Dual Recto stack, it's anything BUT buzzy.

Well, maybe it's the way most of the 90's radio rock bands dialed them in and/or recorded them because most of them sounded horrible to me. And, the Road King I owned sucked major ass, while my bandmate's T-Verb kicked major ass! I was able to plug into that and get any tone I wanted within minutes, but not the Road King or the DRs I played in the late 90's. My bandmate now owns a Mark IIC+ and it also kicks ass. So, I'm not indiscriminately bashing Mesa here. I could not dial out the fuzziness on the RK (spent two full weekend days working with that amp - I really wanted it to work!) and late 90's DRs I played and I also hear it on most of those 90's bands recordings.

So, tell me, what was I doing wrong?