Fender Twin Reverb '65 Reissue

Roland JC120

I currently own:

Mesa Road King (Voodoo Mod)

Engl SE into VHT 2/50/2

VHT UL

Roland JC120

Whenever I would jam or have friends over to play, I never used the Herbert. I was also in a Death Metal band at the time and used my Engl SE exclusively for that. The Herbert is a great amp, but it just lacked the high end 'sizzle' (on the gain channels) the the other amps I had at the time had. The clean channel on the Herbert was the best (compared to the high gainers), with the Framus following close behind it. Since I already own a Twin Reverb '65 Re-Issues, I didn't need the Herbert clean channel so much. But as far as the gain channel of the Herbert, I much preferred any of the other amps with the exception of the Marshall. The Herbert has PLENTY of gain on tap, but it just sounds so 'tame' (only word I can think of). It doesn't come to life and smack you in the face! The bottom end was tight and kicked hard (that was great), but the high end was not there for me. For me, the other amps sounded more 'organic' and had more 'bite' to them.

The bass on my Road King (Recto) may be 'loose' to your ears, but for me it sounds more 'alive' and 'organic'. I don't 'abuse the bass on my Road King as others probably do. The Rectos already have plenty of Bass, so keep that knob relatively low. KRANK those mids and add a little high end... and "BOOM"... you have great bottem end thump and high end sizzle with smooth mids! But keep in mind mine is Voodoo Modded. By far my favororite amp is my Road King.

I spent several hours comparing the Framus Cobra, Road King, Engl SE and the Herbert over a couple of days. Every time I plugged in to the Herbert after playing the others, I was left dissapointed with the gain channel. That is just my opinion though, I AM NOT SAYING THAT THE HERBERT SUCKS!!! IT IS A GREAT AMP, just not for me.

By the way, it was V 2.0 and V2.5 was available for $150.00 and shipping charges both ways (US rep)... I figured I had already paid $4100.00 for the amp, I shouldn't have to pay $150.00 for the V2.5 upgrade (which from my understanding was only a few resistor/cap changes... not 100% positive though). Plus they told me they could 'fix' the high end 'issue' I was describing. I ended up selling it to a forum mate.

I am not the only one that was under the same impression about the high end on this amp. I had several friends come over and compare the amps as well. We all felt the same... lack of 'sizzle'. I know of one other person on this board that has stated the same thing, but I am not going to bring them into this thread. If they choose to voice their opinion then that is their choice.

Again, the Diezel Herbert is an INCREDIBLE amp with GREAT build quality... it just didn't 'do it' for me.

Take care,

Vid

Vid,

What you describe is perfectly legitimate. Personally, I don't want to much high end sizzle! Not only do I play Strats, but I find it makes distortion tones too fizzy and buzzy with any PUPs feeding it, which was my main complaint with the Road King. It was buzzy, no matter how I dialed it in. But, having Trace mod yours pretty much disqualifies it as a Mesa amp! I'm sure he turned it into a very nice-sounding amp! I'm also aware that Mesa has significantly updated the RK due to many complaints about the original, but I have not heard the updated version. Likewise, as you mentioned, the Herbert has been updated since you owned it, based on customer input. Maybe you'd love it now. Personally, I hope they didn't dial out what I loved about the earlier versions, which was the smoothness of the distortion tones and the ability to dial in very comvincing Dumble tones on Ch 3.

In regards to your Herbert V2.0 complaints, how does this video of what I assume to be a V2.5 unit sound to you?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6439601805213666365&q=herbert

Lastly, you mentioned death metal. I don't think the Herbert was intended for that kind of music. The tones I hear out of the Herbert seem to be perfect for just about everything except death metal. I plan to use the Herbert for blues, blues-rock, some classic rock and a little Robben Ford style fusion. Despite the constant association of Diezel amps with heavy, headbanger music, I see the Herbert, in particular, as an amp geared more for everything but that kind of music!

So, when people run down to GC and plug into a Herbert, tank the mids to zero, dime the treble and bass and engage the mid cut on top of that and then say they weren't impressed, it leads me to believe that they just don't get it. If metalheads don't like this amp, I see that as a very encouraging sign! The tones that most folks go for in that genre of music really sound horrible to my ears. The "different strokes" thing...

Dave

• Members
Originally posted by Wizard of Ozz

+1000 I couldn't agree more.

I played a beat to {censored} Diezel thru a Mesa Recto 4X12 and it sounded like ass... blah, blah, blah.
:rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

Please go back to wanking out the intro to "Enter the Sandman" thru that Line 6 combo.
:D
:D

As far as the Herbert sounding like a Recto, that's pretty much BS. I have a new 2006 Dual Recto stitting right next to my Herbert... they don't sound much a like at all.

:eek:

Can you get non-buzzy, non-mushy distortion tones out of your Recto? Maybe they've improved it since the last generation of buzzy, headbanger, modern rock records was created.

• Members
Originally posted by danyeo

Can't disagree more. The Recto was the amp of the 90's and is still the choice amp used by most popular touring rock bands. Lots of bands i don't care for use them but i have to admit i like lots of the rock tones i have heard.

The Foo Fighters for example have such a ballsy in your face sound on thier records which is all Recto. If you don't like thier tone, millions of fans will disagree with you.

Other bands that, to me, have gotten great tones from the Rectos are POD, Hoobastank, Tremonti, Buckethead, Incubus, Godsmack, Petrucci, Linkin Park, Nickleback, and the list goes on and on. Again, i don't really listen to all those bands often but i like lots of sounds they have.

Well, that's the generation of bands that, IMO, have destroyed guitar tone....in general. It's that bulk of 90's rock tone that I'm talking about. I agree completely that the Recto created that era, but for my tastes, most of the guitar tones created during that era are just horrible, Tremonti being a perfect example! But, for some reason, the "millions of fans" you talk about (most of whom are quite young), have grown up to love those sounds! So, you're just confirming what I'm talking about. A huge mass of young players grew up with those buzzed out tones, have grown accustomed to them and have come to believe they actually sound good! I'm not condemning it. I'm just making an observation.

YES, there are notable examples from that era of pretty cool tone! I won't disgaree with that at all! Some of the Nickelback and Incubus sounds great, even to my old ears. ;) But, I'm not sure that what I've heard and liked was all created with Rectos. Also keep in mind that a LOT of these bands have dumped Mesa and are now using Diezel (and other brands), as I witnessed when seeing Godsmack on Leno recently - he had a Herbert and Splawn! (That band is absolutely talentless, BTW.)

• Members
Originally posted by steve10358

I'm not defensive, I dont really care if you like the amp or not... but from a technical stand point, you are talking out of your ass.

Chassis flex? Have you even PLAYED a diezel?? It's got thick ass aluminum w/ reinforced ends... not to mention the 1/4" of faceplate on both sides- there is ZERO chassis flex.

And I am still waiting for what you didnt like about the build quality of the Diezel. You still havent given an example of a failure, or even a design flaw.

I have never seen *any* amp from *any* company with a chassis that flexed when plugging into it! :freak:

• Members

Jesus Christ! It is an amp. dont be fanboys.

I am sure that it sounds great. If Guitar center picked it up at 4100$ then they must have faith in it. I have never played one. 4 grand is a large percent of my annual income and rent is much more important.
And for the love of god, chill out please. How do you know that there isnt any flex? are all the amps 100% perfect? are they made out of the same {censored} as the UFOs?

Breathe. play some guitar, and breathe.

• Members
Originally posted by steve10358

One of the horrendous things about the GC/Diezel deal is the fact that countless message boards will now be littered with people that spent 2 minutes at quiet volumes and $500 credit limits that want to bash it and claim how their "X" amp smoked it.

Didn't read the whole thread... but I echo this sentiment.

I played a Herbert at GC. I thought it was cool. I wasn't $4K impressed, but I didn't live with the amp either. 10 minutes with a foriegn guitar doesn't make me an expert on the amp.

I think it's interesting that lots of folks do the same thing with Mesas and especially Vettas and make horrible claims about those amps, and everybody loves to jump on those bandwagons and dog them.

• Members
Originally posted by vidnotlaw

My experience with Diezel Herbert...

I owned the following amps all at the same time:

Framus Cobra

Engl SE into VHT 2/50/2

Diezel Herbert

Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 100

Roland JC120

I currently own:

Engl SE into VHT 2/50/2

VHT UL

Roland JC120

Whenever I would jam or have friends over to play, I never used the Herbert. I was also in a Death Metal band at the time and used my Engl SE exclusively for that. The Herbert is a great amp, but it just lacked the high end 'sizzle' (on the gain channels) the the other amps I had at the time had. The clean channel on the Herbert was the best (compared to the high gainers), with the Framus following close behind it. Since I already own a Twin Reverb '65 Re-Issues, I didn't need the Herbert clean channel so much. But as far as the gain channel of the Herbert, I much preferred any of the other amps with the exception of the Marshall. The Herbert has PLENTY of gain on tap, but it just sounds so 'tame' (only word I can think of). It doesn't come to life and smack you in the face! The bottom end was tight and kicked hard (that was great), but the high end was not there for me. For me, the other amps sounded more 'organic' and had more 'bite' to them.

The bass on my Road King (Recto) may be 'loose' to your ears, but for me it sounds more 'alive' and 'organic'. I don't 'abuse the bass on my Road King as others probably do. The Rectos already have plenty of Bass, so keep that knob relatively low. KRANK those mids and add a little high end... and "BOOM"... you have great bottem end thump and high end sizzle with smooth mids! But keep in mind mine is Voodoo Modded. By far my favororite amp is my Road King.

I spent several hours comparing the Framus Cobra, Road King, Engl SE and the Herbert over a couple of days. Every time I plugged in to the Herbert after playing the others, I was left dissapointed with the gain channel. That is just my opinion though, I AM NOT SAYING THAT THE HERBERT SUCKS!!! IT IS A GREAT AMP, just not for me.

By the way, it was V 2.0 and V2.5 was available for $150.00 and shipping charges both ways (US rep)... I figured I had already paid $4100.00 for the amp, I shouldn't have to pay $150.00 for the V2.5 upgrade (which from my understanding was only a few resistor/cap changes... not 100% positive though). Plus they told me they could 'fix' the high end 'issue' I was describing. I ended up selling it to a forum mate.

I am not the only one that was under the same impression about the high end on this amp. I had several friends come over and compare the amps as well. We all felt the same... lack of 'sizzle'. I know of one other person on this board that has stated the same thing, but I am not going to bring them into this thread. If they choose to voice their opinion then that is their choice.

Again, the Diezel Herbert is an INCREDIBLE amp with GREAT build quality... it just didn't 'do it' for me.

Take care,

Vid

Hello Vid !

You are right, I don

• Members
Originally posted by maz_master

:thu:

For most of my 34 years on the instrument, the term "high end sizzle", when applied to guitar amps, has been associated with undesirable tones.
:confused:
But, once again, maybe it was the 90's era brainwashing experiments conducted by Mr. Randall Smith that changed all that.
;):p

Nah,
I hate sizzle too, but my Recto doesn't sizzle when I play it.

• Members

Do I need to play Robben Ford's Dumble to know it's an incredible amp?

If you're going to go on an internet forum stating it's the greatest amp ever made, does all these tones better then anything else out there, is built better then any other amp out there and anyone who doesn't love it either has tin ears or is a 16 year old kid who only likes buzz-saw tones, then yes, it might be a good idea to at least have seen one in person, let alone played one.

• Members
Originally posted by Rufus Leaking

If you're going to go on an internet forum stating it's the greatest amp ever made, does all these tones better then anything else out there, is built better then any other amp out there and anyone who doesn't love it either has tin ears or is a 16 year old kid who only likes buzz-saw tones, then yes, it might be a good idea to at least have seen one in person, let alone played one.

Where did I say, "greatest amp ever made"? Right now, for me, that designation belongs to the Dr. Z Maz 18 Junior NR.

Where did I say, "does all these tones better then anything else out there"?

Where did I say, "built better then any other amp out there"?

Where did I say, "anyone who doesn't love it either has tin ears or is a 16 year old kid who only likes buzz-saw tones"?

Are you sure you're even referencing the correct thread?

• Members

Where did I say, "greatest amp ever made"? Right now, for me, that designation belongs to the Dr. Z Maz 18 Junior NR.

Where did I say, "does all these tones better then anything else out there"?

Where did I say, "built better then any other amp out there"?

Where did I say, "anyone who doesn't love it either has tin ears or is a 16 year old kid who only likes buzz-saw tones"?

Are you sure you're even referencing the correct thread?

Yup :D

• Members
Originally posted by cloudnine

*needs to find place in Canadaland to try Einstein
:mad:

seriously.....ive said this before on here, ONE AMP IN CANADA PLEASE? you have a dealer with no amps :confused: in the hills of quebec :confused:

ive wanted a herbert as long as i can remember (which idnt really all that long, but whatever)